Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What are these connectors (2003 WRX wiring)

Post Thanks / Like

What are these connectors (2003 WRX wiring)

I am confused on where these connect, I have looked through the wiring diagrams and still have yet to find them. This may be a dumb question as well but on the wiring diagrams they label certain connectors B57, B54 etc, where are they labelled on the plugs, I cannot seem to find the label...if they are.

There are 3 plugs which I cannot determine and they are located near the OBDII reader port. I have attached picturesIMG_6857.JPGIMG_6858.JPGIMG_6859.JPGIMG_6860.JPG

If anyone has any ideas of which plugs these are it would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
    Ian
    Last edited by iblackwe; 01-01-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: More info

Post Thanks / Like
    Going from memory only (I've been wiring for the last week), those look like the plugs that go into the bottom of the steering column, just behind the steering wheel. B69, B70, and B71. Check the lighting sections of the manual. I'll look again for you when I make it down to the garage today.

Regarding your first question, the plugs are not labeled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't 100% confirm based on the pictures and the fact that my manual is for the 2004, but I'm going to stick with my initial response that those are B69 (Parking switch), B70 (wipers), and B71 (Lighting switch).

Post Thanks / Like
    That is 100% correct thank you very much. Now my problem actually is that on the B69 (Parking Switch connector) I accidentally broke the pin within the in-compartment fuse box, which was related to the brown wire leading to that B69 connector and to another connect in which I believe to the security system. What does this parking switch actually do? According to google it makes sure that the car won't start while not in park. Although I have a feeling that it may be inter-related to the clutch switch wiring for a manual to insure the clutch is depressed before trying to start. Any insight on this will be great, I have attached another picture indicating the wire affected on the B69 connectorIMG_6857.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    B69 relates to the little parking light switch on top of the steering column. Let's you leave the running lights on after turning off the ignition. You may be able to steal a similar pin from a connector that you no longer need. I have a separate thread discussing how to remove the pins. Trick is just to find the same one somewhere else since Subaru uses about 10 different styles/sizes of pins

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh okay, I can't delete that connector all together can I?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is probably a way to delete it completely, but you'd be left with a dead switch visible on top of your steering column (though I think I used it twice in the 8 years I owned my 2002 WRX).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for helping me solve that problem. I was wondering if you could help me with another!

This is a great connector that is right next to the OBD port/plug when I pulled it out of the car. I can't remember if it was plugged into anything, I honestly this it is just an extra plug. Do you know if I can remove it?
    IMG_0259.jpgIMG_0260.jpg

I traced from that Grey plug to 3 other plugs that are confusing me because so some reason I didn't label them or they didn't have a connection. Here they are:
    IMG_0253.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0258.jpg

The one white plug also had ABS connections from it. It also has connections (brown wire) running to the ECM. The White and Blue wires from the first grey plug I talked about above were traced to the one white plug from the pictures above^

Any insight would be much appreciated! thanks again
    Last edited by iblackwe; 01-02-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The gray plug next to the obdii port (B40, by the way) is a check connector (B79). The two green plugs (B75 and B76) also need to be left in place, but separated. Plugging them into each other puts the cpu into test mode and allows the cpu to be reflashed. I'll check the wiring diagram for the other plug when I get a chance today.
    Last edited by billjr212; 01-02-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added connector numbers

Post Thanks / Like
    The white plug appears to be the "line end check connector" (B300). Similar to the check connector, I would not delete it.

The black plug in your pictures with the brown wire running to it appears to be B82, yet another "diagnosis connector." I hate deleting stuff like that because Subaru put it there for you to be able to check later for issues and it has feeds into several systems. Subaru calls that wire to the ECM Orange by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ABS test connector is used to reset the ABS (on dash) light. By the way, the ABS reset requires the install of brake switch and stop light bulbs. This learned after hours of frustrating research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so those are all vital connectors then. Thanks again very helpful.

I may have a couple more questions along the way and thanks again for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know whether you can remove the blower motor relay? It seems to be mounted on the side of the in-compartment fuse box. What I am unsure about is that there is a green wire running to the ECU, which makes me nervous about removing it. However since I have cut out the blower motor I see no reason as to why to keep this. Can anyone confirm? Also, the other relay on the same in compartment fuse box, does that belong to the cruise control?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    Does anyone know whether you can remove the blower motor relay? It seems to be mounted on the side of the in-compartment fuse box. What I am unsure about is that there is a green wire running to the ECU, which makes me nervous about removing it. However since I have cut out the blower motor I see no reason as to why to keep this. Can anyone confirm? Also, the other relay on the same in compartment fuse box, does that belong to the cruise control?

Thanks
    I removed this. It's likely an output from the ECU. I haven't tested my hacked-up harness in the car yet, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm deleting a LOT of things that I'm assuming are outputs/unimportant inputs to the ECU. Many things will be grounded.

Post Thanks / Like
    My rough understanding on the green wire to the ECU was that it was allowing the computer know when the blower fan is running so it can operate (or cut power to) the A/C relay as needed. Since the blower fan and a/c no longer exist, I removed the relay entirely.

As in the above, I haven't started the car yet, so remove with caution (I've saved all the removed pins to allow myself the opportunity to salvage anything I delete prematurely).

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks guys. Bill, I just took your advice and removed the blower motor relay as well. Still confused as to what the relay is beside it? I can't seem to find and other evidence against it being the ABS relay (B264):IMG_0285_2.jpg

Here are 4 relays which I am having a hard time identifying:
    IMG_0283_2.jpgIMG_0284_2.jpg

I believe the Brown one is an ignition relay, the blue one to be a fuel pump relay. As for the other two I am really not sure at all. I found these all closer to the passenger side/blower motor area.

I have one more that I am confused about:
    IMG_0286_2.jpg
    This one I found near the drivers break pedals.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fairly certain i kept all the relays in those pictures. I'd have to revisit the diagrams to confirm what they all are. In the passenger foot well may be the daytime running light/high beam relays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh okay so you kept the red connector with the relay? What I believe to be the (B264)?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's 264, the ABS relay.

First two look like high beam/low beam. Brown I remember seeing and not deleting. It depends on the location of this last one.

Hmmm. Can't recall that, either.

I can look tonight when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one more that I am confused about:
    IMG_0286_2.jpg
    This one I found near the drivers break pedals.

Thanks!
    I think that is flasher module. It attaches to the under side of the steering column.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    That's 264, the ABS relay.

First two look like high beam/low beam. Brown I remember seeing and not deleting. It depends on the location of this last one.

Hmmm. Can't recall that, either.

I can look tonight when I get home.
    Awesome thanks, I can now delete the ABS Relay with confidence haha.

Thanks again, if you have any more info I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    I think that is flasher module. It attaches to the under side of the steering column.

Larry
    Okay perfect, I will keep that

Thanks Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks, I can now delete the ABS Relay with confidence haha.

Thanks again, if you have any more info I really appreciate it.
    I'll get you a few more that I deleted. I plan to make a guide once I've finished and confirmed my harness works. Lots of dieting

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I get for looking at the pictures on my phone - yes, the first picture with the Pink (Subaru calls it red) plug is B264 and is only for the ABS. I also deleted it.

Larry is also right on - the black one from under the steering column is B32, Turn/Hazard Module (BrR, BY, and B wires)

The Black and Blue ones in the 2nd picture look like they may be the High Beam Relay (B103) and DRL Relay (B102) but I can't see the wire colors well enough to be certain.

Same problem for me on the Brown and White relays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    The Black and Blue ones in the 2nd picture look like they may be the High Beam Relay (B103) and DRL Relay (B102) but I can't see the wire colors well enough to be certain.
    I'm 99% certain you are correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the seat belt warning light is a normally open or closed circuit. Ie) would I have to ground the connector to get the light off or just remove it?

Post Thanks / Like
    the three whit plugs plug in under the steering wheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the seat belt warning light is a normally open or closed circuit. Ie) would I have to ground the connector to get the light off or just remove it?
    Just remove it.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]