Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '33 Exhaust Question

Post Thanks / Like

'33 Exhaust Question

Anyone see a problem with using this style exhaust tip for the side exit location on the hotrod. My concern is not whether it will fit but if the heat produced by the exhaust itself will cause problems with the fiberglass. If so, does anyone have an idea what could be done in order to be able to use such an animal. Thanks in advance for the help fellas.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Also by bolting the exhaust to the body you will transfer all noise and vibration to the body and interior.
    if you can get them big enough mount that and run a exhaust pipe in the center of it. without touching
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise not to bolt it to the body. It would burn and crack the fiberglass. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut the hole a little oversize so that the metal does not touch the fiberglass and use a rubber gasket between the flange and body (should help with vibrations). I prefer the rear exit exhaust to the side exit.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    Also by bolting the exhaust to the body you will transfer all noise and vibration to the body and interior.
    if you can get them big enough mount that and run a exhaust pipe in the center of it. without touching
    Evan
    This is what most OEM's do now when passing through the Urethane rear bumper covers. By oversizing the tip a bit it lets cool air also flow between the two which keeps the body from getting too hot. As Mark said leave plenty of room for air and especially enough to prevent a rattle. My CTS and my SRT6 both use this method.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    That spot where it exits is pretty narrow but I like the idea so best of luck. To let you know the rear tires will create a vortex that will force exhaust back towards the front and cockpit area. I loved the side exhaust but I felt I needed a shower after each drive as I just smelled like gas. If you're car runs very clean that's great but with a carb and no CATs my guess is that you'll be in the same boat. And, with the top on, fumes will get trapped inside the cabin which was another reason I installed the ragtop. It did help.

Post Thanks / Like
    All really good info guys. Looks like I need to think about whether to run it out the side or the back. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Side exhaust is tough in this car. It looks good but Creates some issues going forward.....Ala EHANSEN007