FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: trunk access panels - do you make them accessible, or rivet them shut?

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question trunk access panels - do you make them accessible, or rivet them shut?

my ongoing efforts to create a custom drop trunk, I'm wondering if I should make a hinged cover or just rivet them shut?
    my biggest concern is air under the car creating an upward force and pushing on a 'door' - obviously it would need an attachment, lock, velcro, etc...

the 6.5" x 10" box in the center is the fuel pump access, and fuel return
    the 4" circle on the driver rear is the fuel sender access
    the 3" circle on the passenger front is the tank vent (not thinking I'll need access here?)

wondering who's done any access panels that go directly to tank access
    I know the directions in the manual rivet them up - but doesn't really cover trunks with carpeting

I know there are drop tank covers, but those wouldn't be 'pressurized' since there's a bottom in the box below the cover - looking for some good ideas
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine held in place with sheet metal screws. The access panels are covered by carpet. But.... it's not the end of the world if you rivet them in place: you can always drill them out if you have to.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

3. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On my own car I've had to go through the trunk access panels the same number of times I've needed to drop the dashboard and remove the transmission tunnel top---which in 14 years is exactly zero.

Jeff

5. Likes toadster, CaptB, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I riveted them and carpeted over because I will never need to access. My gas gauge is now going nuts and likely the sender....... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you could go wild and install PEM or rivnuts into the holes in the underlying panel, increase the rivet holes to allow a short machine screw to pass, and then fasten them into place that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Button head hex drive screws. Operating under the theory that access panels need to provide access.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

9. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the riveted shut and carpeted over group. Have had to access once to replace the in tank fuel pump for the Sniper upgrade. Pulling the carpet up was a bigger deal than drilling the rivets and that was still easy.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

11. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Button head hex drive screws. Operating under the theory that access panels need to provide access.
    ah that's pretty smart looking!
    Todd

13. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Everything on my car is accessible because the O.C.D. Gene Runs Strong in my bloodline:

1. Dashboard
    2. Transmission Tunnel Top
    3. Stereo
    4. Stereo Speakers
    5. Brake & Clutch Master Cylinders
    6. Clutch Slave Cylinder
    7. Fuel Line Pick Up
    8. Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Just understand that it is a Personality Disorder or something like that because only one fastener was used so only one tool is needed.

On that note please pray for my wife for putting up with me for 40 years.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-06-2021 at 05:15 PM.

15. Likes toadster, nucjd19, GWL, narly1, JV1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I riveted them and carpeted over them. I used a lighter adhesive on the carpet in those areas so I can pull it up and get access by drilling out rivits. Don't plan on needing access but can get to it if needed with little to no pain.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

17. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did rivnuts and black screws. I may never need access, but I like the peace of mind that I have it. If you carpet the access panel, you can barely tell it's there:

MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

19. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't use anything less than Inconel screws purchased from NASA. God knows once something is riveted you can't drill them out.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

21. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used rivnuts on those access panels then I powder coated the access panels matte black to match the frame that is exposed in my drop trunk mod.
    Last edited by nucjd19; 04-06-2021 at 08:46 PM.
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

23. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enlarged the opening and used rivnuts and machine screws to make it accessible. Probably overkill.

2643029A-9342-42E8-AEEF-133E722BD56D.jpeg

894F0A8B-F0BC-44DF-BCEB-6CB53B015558.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 04-06-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

25. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I riveted and carpeted over them out of sheer laziness. I did mask the area over the access panels so no adhesive stuck. Figured I could cut out the carpet over the panels if I really needed to in the future.
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

27. Likes toadster, Real Time liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An3-6 bolts , Rivnuts powder coated panels and carpeted over.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a car, a not Lego set. :-) No need for it to click apart.

Mine are also riveted and carpeted. I broke my fuel level sender during an autocross. How's that for lateral Gs? I dropped the tank to replace it. I was curious, so I timed it. After the car was jacked up......12 minutes. Big deal once in 7 years.

The last thing you want is to make your trunk less watertight.

30. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rivets are easy enough to drill out if you need access, provided you didn't glue the carpet down so well that you pull all the fibers through the backing when you try to pull it up. I used nut-certs and screws. If I never have to remove the covers, no big deal. If I do, easy to do now.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP,

It depends.

If you have an in-tank fuel pump, you may want to be able to access it from time to time for replacement (ask me how I know). If you have a lift, disregard it.

If you have a mechanical fuel pump or one that is not in the tank, feel free to rivet it.

There may come a day when you would need fuel tank access for other reasons (fuel sock replacement, fuel level sender R&R, etc.), so there are some wildcards to consider.

15+ years since my Mark 3 build, I'll offer you that having access to the driver-side footbox (from the top) is far more important!

HTH,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

33. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvaz View Post
    To the OP,

It depends.

If you have an in-tank fuel pump, you may want to be able to access it from time to time for replacement (ask me how I know). If you have a lift, disregard it.

If you have a mechanical fuel pump or one that is not in the tank, feel free to rivet it.

There may come a day when you would need fuel tank access for other reasons (fuel sock replacement, fuel level sender R&R, etc.), so there are some wildcards to consider.

15+ years since my Mark 3 build, I'll offer you that having access to the driver-side footbox (from the top) is far more important!

HTH,
    Will

yup in tank pump, I got a piano hinge from McMaster and will configure a door and secure with rivnuts, if nothing else it will be an easy access panel
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    yup in tank pump, I got a piano hinge from McMaster and will configure a door and secure with rivnuts, if nothing else it will be an easy access panel
    you might not need the hinge. I just used rivnuts to make the panel removable. I didn't carpet over the access panels and have the aluminum over the cut outs. I initially tried brushing the panels, but ended up spraying them black with truck bed liner.

36. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    you might not need the hinge. I just used rivnuts to make the panel removable. I didn't carpet over the access panels and have the aluminum over the cut outs. I initially tried brushing the panels, but ended up spraying them black with truck bed liner.

thanks! I got a 12" aluminum hinge from mcmaster/carr for ~$2.50 if it works - great, if not, just a simple nutsert job then
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping up an old thread.

Question (trying to see if I am missing something): on the rare occasion where you need to change your in-tank pump or sender, can't you just raise the car and drop the trunk?

I am not suggesting people shouldn't have access, I want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post

Question (trying to see if I am missing something): on the rare occasion where you need to change your in-tank pump or sender, can't you just raise the car and drop the trunk?

I am not suggesting people shouldn't have access, I want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.
    I'm betting that what you really mean is "drop the tank", not "drop the trunk". Yes, you can but if you need to get at the sender or pump/pickup it's just much easier to remove an access panel, be it by drilling out rivets or removing screws run into rivnuts, than it is to remove the tank. No need to raise the car, drain the tank (because Murphy's law says that the need to remove the tank will always happen when it's full ), disconnect the fill tube and fuel lines, etc.

Jeff

40. Likes zee, BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yep that's doable! but depending on how full the tank is, it can be a total PITA
    in my case it's a 26 gallon tank so I opted for the above the tank route

IMG_3520.jpg
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally makes sense, I knew I was missing something :-).
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had to replace my tank, I was able to use my lift to raise the car after disconnecting the fuel lines, sender, and fill tube. I then rolled a cart under the car and lowered the car until the tank was just touching the cart. I then just removed the strap bolts and raised the car leaving the tank on the cart. It would have been a lot more work without the lift.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

The responses you have received so far are pretty interesting; please allow me to offer mine: Yes, I had to replace my in-tank pump. Twice.

I have an access panel in my trunk so I can get at the tank/hanger. I did not move the tank. I did not mess with the trunk. It was "relatively" easy to pull the pump/hanger through the access panel. There is no way I would want to mess with the tank, full or empty. It's enough trouble dealing with it as it is. I can't imagine making this more difficult. If you don't have an access panel, please make one. You can thank me later.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

45. Thanks zee thanked for this post
    Likes zee liked this post