Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: svl 818

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

svl 818

The build has started in San Jose!

I put my order in back in Sep and jumped on the hot list shortly thereafter. I also put a deposit on a donor from AJW thinking I would get the donor long before the kit showed up.

Early this year I got the call from FFR that I could have a build date of March 1 if I wanted it. I leapt at the chance even though there had been no progress on the donor front, nor had I cleaned enough of the garage for the project. So much for time to prep.

With the kit’s date fast approaching I took the first donor that became available. I have a 2007 WRX Sedan with 87K miles, pretty much stock except it looks like it got some major work just before it became a donor as the motor and transmission were very clean even though the suspension looks every bit an east coast 4WD used in winter.

In terms of build, this is intended as a fun driver that I’ll use frequently. It is replacing a 1988 911 Targa that I used heavily as a daily driver for 13 years with lots of auto-x and the occasional track day. A couple years ago it was totaled in the morning commute when the guy behind me didn’t stop on the freeway when the rest of us did. Since I have two sons who were 15 and 12 at the time, I picked up a Mazda 3 to teach them to drive and figured I’d pick up something in a couple of years for me.

I’ve looked at several kits as this is a project I’ve contemplated for a long time. I’m primarily looking for a 4-wheel motorcycle, and I’ve been close to starting a 7 clone on several occasions. When I saw the 818 however, I thought that was much closer to something that could be used frequently; and in northern California perhaps even as a 9-month car.

I have no experience with this level of garage project. I very much appreciate in advance all the answers to the rookie questions I’m likely to pose. This forum has already been an incredible resource.

My plan is to use evenings primarily as research and prep. I travel frequently for work during the week so 1 or 2 solid weekends a month is all I really have available. While I’m thinking this is a two-year project, my soon-to-be-15 son is planning on it taking less than a year. I guess I’ll have to take some time off this summer when he is free to make some serious progress.
    Last edited by svanlare; 08-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.