Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the registration process for Florida

Post Thanks / Like

What is the registration process for Florida

Plan to order my kit this week, but want to know the registration process for the state of Florida, and if I need specific items, ie windshield wipers, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Start here, http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA. And there are several pages devoted on this forum and the other for Florida. Welcome to the madness!
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roblegrow View Post
    Plan to order my kit this week, but want to know the registration process for the state of Florida, and if I need specific items, ie windshield wipers, etc.
    Give me a call at 386-418-4209. I just registered my 33 last year and doing my 818 now in FL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the process for the GTM (should cover the 818 also), with specifics for most of central Florida (centered around Orlando)

There may be some detail specific to the HR and your region's bureau.

Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    I collected this data directly from the Bureau listed below. Contact your region's bureau for specific details that may be particular to that region. I'll update the thread after visiting the bureau to set my inspection appointment.

Florida Division of Motor Vehicles
    Bureau of Field Operations, Region V
    4104 Clarcona-Ocoee Road Suite 160
    Orlando, FL 32810
    407-445-7400 Telephone
    407-445-7411 Fax

The process involves taking the items listed below to the Bureau and paying associated fees so that the inspection appointment can be made. Once the inspection is complete you will be issued a VIN and with proof of insurance, you can transfer tags/purchase new tags and register the GTM all on location. To set up inspection appointment, bring these items to Bureau:

1. Pictures (four) Front, Back, Left side and right side of GTM.

2. Forms 84490 and 82040 (can be down loaded or obtained on location) Form 84490 Statement of Builder, http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BRE/84490.pdf, Form 82040 Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration, http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf

3. Manufacture’s Certificate of Origin.

4. Kit, Donor(receipt and title) and trans-axle receipts.

5. Appointment for GTM inspection will be set after completing the documents and paying any fees.

6. Expect $40 appointment fee.

7. Tax and Tag Fee (just as if you were purchasing a vehicle).

8. Insurance is required just the same as when purchasing a vehicle and preparing to drive it off the lot.

This info was solid as of 16 August 2013, but I suggest making a call or visiting the bureau for the most current information.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the web site. New here and looking at building a 33. Question: Sense I will not be using a donor car would I need to follow the rules for a replica?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad36 View Post
    Thanks for the web site. New here and looking at building a 33. Question: Sense I will not be using a donor car would I need to follow the rules for a replica?
    The COO from Ffr states it is a replica of a 33. So it will be titled a replica. I have built and titled several FFR kits in Fl.

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed wallace18's advice on how to register my 33 in Florida. Made an appointment, had the car officially weighed at a truck stop, and towed it down to Ocala for them to inspect it. Got my title on the spot. Could have gotten a Florida license plate (antique, blue tag) with registration too, but opted to wait until I could hand walk my restored YOM 1933 Florida license plate through the process in Tallahassee. My title states the "Year" as "1933" and the "Make" as "FFRI". It also lists the "Primary Brand" as "REPLICA" and the "Secondary Brand" as "KIT CAR". Easy process if you have all your paperwork in order.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Florida seems 100 times easier than Mass
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Florida is a breeze, relatively speaking. I look at what some guys go through in California or the Northeast and I am really glad to be in the Sunshine State! When the guy "inspected" my car, it wasn't even complete - no mirrors, interior, paint, etc. All he cared about was watching me install the new VIN sticker in my door jamb.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Update to Florida registration process as of December 2018. You will need to submit your paperwork to DMV as "Assembled from Parts".
    My application for inspection was turned down and told Factory Five cars are not authorized in Florida. This is NOT true and was due to
    a misunderstanding on the part of DMV. Thanks to Dave Smith (Owner/CEO Factory Five) DVM officials in Tallahassee received the proper
    information about FFR. The process is straight forward. Make sure to have ALL receipts for EVERYTHING you used building your car. Follow
    the procedure outlined in in VD2021's post and you will be good. Your car will be registered as "Assembled from Parts". Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you provide a little more detail. I’m just back from the Osceola tax collector where they were unable to give me a FL title in exchange for my MD title. After some round about from Osceola to Tallahassee to the Orlando regional office, as near as I can figure out our cars are now considered ASPT (assembled from parts). ASPT will also be the make of the car.

When the Osceola folks enter FFR in the system as the make, they get errors. Same with Factory Five. Is it true that the make will be ASPT?

What exactly did Dave Smith clear up with Tallahassee and who was it he worked with? The person I spoke to in Tallahassee told me she couldn’t help since she is customer service.

All I want to do is title my car in Florida. It already has a MD title, so most of the Florida posts don’t help me since they are about getting the title on a newly completed car using the FFR supplied MCO. I have a MD title in hand and the Osceola team has no idea what to do other than tell me I have to go to the regional office in Orlando for an inspection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Update to Florida registration process as of December 2018. You will need to submit your paperwork to DMV as "Assembled from Parts".
    My application for inspection was turned down and told Factory Five cars are not authorized in Florida. This is NOT true and was due to
    a misunderstanding on the part of DMV. Thanks to Dave Smith (Owner/CEO Factory Five) DVM officials in Tallahassee received the proper
    information about FFR. The process is straight forward. Make sure to have ALL receipts for EVERYTHING you used building your car. Follow
    the procedure outlined in in VD2021's post and you will be good. Your car will be registered as "Assembled from Parts". Good Luck!
    MKIII - 5778