FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wipers for '33

Post Thanks / Like

Wipers for '33

Do you have any suggestions for windshield wipers for the '33 roadster? I am looking for cowl mounted.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 2 separate marine grade stainless steel wiper motors, wired through a double throw rotary wiper switch (Cole Hersey) They are small, and easy to mount, I also used marine supply angled mounts for the shaft to go through the cowl. The wiper motors come with small stainless wiper arms that are adjustable for length, which comes in handy if you plan on switching from roadster windshield to the one supplied with the hardtop. The roadster windshield is angled more than the hardtop windshield and needs slightly longer wiper arms. The only drawback to using 2 separate motors is that after about 10 strokes the wipers will start to come out of sync. This however is not a problem as the wipers on such a narrow windshield do not cross, and a simple off/on will reset the sync. I went with this set-up because I have had experience with the cable operated units that are an option from FF5 and found them to be extremely frail. Also using 2 motors gets rid of a lot of linkages and mounting points etc. And yes there is lots of room (I am however NOT using the FF5 AC, only a heater from Vintage Air) hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    wipers.jpg This is a universal kit from Specialty Power Windows. I bought mine through Dan Ruth who is on this forum and he modifies it to fit the 33, but you can get it without his mods and do it your self as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question for you Siringo. Can you remove the wiper arms and store them in the car when not using them? I want to have wipers on my 33 but dont want to seet them all the time if the weather is nice. I want to be able to take them out the car and attach them if needed. Does the Dan Ruth kit allow you to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeman,
    The kit is from Specialty Power Windows, Dan just packages everything (the wiper blades are sold separately from the motor and control kit). He then preassembles them to set them up for the 33 so it goes in faster. The arms fit 1/2" fine spline knurls or 1/4" shafts so they come off, but I don't know how easy it is.