Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Community loses Art Totten

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FFR Community loses Art Totten

Many of you in the Factory Five community know our friend Art Totten. I just got off the phone with Mark Totten, Art’s son, and he told me that Art had passed away last evening surrounded by his family and beloved wife Rhonda. I think Art was in his mid 80’s but he had a teenagers passion for all things Ford and he was a good friend of Factory Five for more than 15 years. He was a dear friend of mine and a man whom I respected as much as my own father.

I will leave better words to others who knew him better, but I will tell you that Art was one of the greatest men I have ever known. He was the kind of man they don’t make anymore. He was a lifelong Ford fan and worked for Ford for many years. Art Totten was always my friend and he stayed at my home over the years as he drove his truck all around the country, never hesitating to jump in his Ford diesel truck and lay down 1000 miles at a shift.

The guy was SOLID. I will miss you greatly my friend and I love you Art. Godspeed. I look forward to seeing you in heaven many years from now and I have no doubt the first thing you’ll want to do is talk about the latest and greatest blue oval engines.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I just walked in the door from a 5,500 mile trip to ca. and back in 7 days.
    This is the first I have heard of his passing since being home.
    I am at a loss He was a very close friend and introduced me to FFR in 99 .
    Heck it was Art who had this crazy idea for
    The Traveling Builder.
    He has been so many things to me over the last 15 years.
    Teacher
    Mentor
    business adviser
    customer
    Father figure when no other was there.
    And above all my dear Friend

As some of you know I just finished and delivered his HR last month. What you don't know is he never got to see it finished.
    The Day I delivered it he went into the hospital And never got out.

There is a hole in my life that cannot be filled and he will be missed dearly

God speed Art
    I will miss you
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 04-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news....

Art is a part of FFR Community history. Art was always a pleasure to be around. He will be missed.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I am just reading this. Art will be sorely missed. I remember like yesterday when we sat in Dave's office with Mark D and Olli discussing the "Larry" beta plans. He was a great guy and my thoughts and prayers to his family. Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I just learned this weekend that Art had passed away. I am going to miss him. He was as described by everyone above. He helped me (read, did most of the work) to get my car from Chicago to Cleveland. I believe the man just loved to drive. He knew my Factory Five was a life long dream and he did everything he could to help me make it happen. If he had it, I could use it. I know I thanked him many times but I believe if Art liked you that's all the reason he needed to help. Just be a standup guy. Family, Fords, Factory Fives, Friends. I'm not sure of the particular order though I do know family was first. Dave, Mark he had a lot of good things to say about you guys during our bull**** sessions and I know he cared a lot about you guys. Wish I knew him better. Oh well this post is just like a funeral, it's more for the living to get through it. I believe Art knew I would never forget him. He was right.
    Chuck Sopko

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, I, like yourself, just recently found out about this. About 6 weeks ago I call Art and found out the number was no longer in use. I then called Mark Dougherty and that's when he dropped the hammer on me. Art was truly God's gift to mankind and I still can't believe all of the things he did for me and would only take money for gas and tolls! He brought me my Indycar, two trailers, a Daytona Coupe kit half built, etc, etc. He used to love how he always new it was me cause I called him AAAART with that true New England accent. I'll never get the image of him sitting on the front tire of the rolling chassis in the SEMA booth saying "I don't care if Dave Smith won't let us have chairs in the booth! I'm sitting down for a moment!