Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for some wiring help and or suggestions on our 2002 WRX build

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for some wiring help and or suggestions on our 2002 WRX build

My Dad and I just finished laying out our dieted wiring harness in our car and connected the last of the grounds this morning. When we connected the positive terminal to the battery (with the key out of the ignition) the dash comes to life and the idiot lights turn on? Also several of the relays turn on as well (main relay, ignition relay and fuel relay). I’m also getting around 4 volts out of the front driving light harness and about ten volts at the rear tail light harness? The only thing that seems to work properly is the front and rear turn signals but they are working with the key out of the ignition so maybe properly isn't totally correct.
    It doesn’t seem to make any difference with the key in or out of the ignition or if the ignition switch is turned onto accessories 1, 2 or start. As long as the battery is connected then everything listed above is on?

We re-checked the grounds and looked for a short and couldn’t find any. Made sure all the connectors are pushed in (only the waste gate solenoid is disconnected)The one positive is we haven’t blown any fuses or shorted out any wires.
    Our donor was a 2002 WRX and we removed through the diet ABS, Airbags, Cruise, HVAC, Security, and Radio. We took out time, used the 2002 WRX wiring diagram and were careful throughout the process and when removing the sub systems never cutting farther if there was a tee in place in the harness. That way hoping we wouldn’t disturb another system that might be intertwined.

Anyone have a suggestion or offer some help? We could use a little.
    Last edited by waruaki; 04-17-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that you have power feeding to wrong wire. Try this pull one fuse at a time and see when it turns off dash turn what ever. If that doesn't work go to relays then each connector. When dash and the rest stop lighting you will know where to look. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say start at the battery and work forward. Sounds like you are feeding an entire bank of fuses or relays with constant hot when it should be a switched feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on both reply's

We have started at the battery and worked forward and narrowed it to connector B158 in the 2002 WRX wiring diagram. B158 is a 10 pole grey connector that is one of if not the primary power feed to the master fuse box. As for the relay's we pulled several yesterday and will continue to narrow them down one by one. Next chance I get I'm going to look at relay B157 its the ignition relay (see diagram) and see if something is causing it to activate on its own. Looking at the diagram only the ignition switch should turn it on.

Thanks for the suggestions. 2002 Diagram.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you are close to finding the problem. Please post when you've fixed it so we will also learn. I'll add battery power to mine soon and I may face a similar situation.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete,

I hope so. We were slow and methodical on the diet and referenced the wiring diagram throughout the process. This setback has us a little stumped at the moment.
    Last edited by waruaki; 04-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck man, it sounds like you're on the right track. Letting go of the time spent so far on the harness will go a long way to free up some sleuthing brain power and motivation. I admit some fear of facing a similar challenge.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like

Found it!

We found the issue. Our 2002 like so many others (see blurry picture) had front end damage. The hit on our car damaged the main headlight harness and the main fuse/relay box. when we removed the harness we repaired all the visible damage but after performing continuity checks we found the issue in the main fuse/relay box. We had a short in connector F68 pin 4 from the accident and have repaired the damage. the damage was not visible and was on the underside of the box where the connector attaches.

Thanks to those of you that commented and offered support. We have run the system and checked voltage at the open connections (headlights, tail lights, turn signals, hazard and everything is functioning as it should. We are working on the fuel system and mounting the fuel filter and EVAP canister now and should be filling the car with fluids next week in preparation of running the motor shortly after.

IMG_7732.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    that's great news. congrats on the find and thanks for keeping us in the loop on the solution!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you found it!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good report and congrats. I'll be buying a battery soon to test my work . . . hoping for no smoke!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Thanks for the good report and congrats. I'll be buying a battery soon to test my work . . . hoping for no smoke!
    Hmmm... Now I'm thinking that I should roll my car outside and have fire extinguishers ready before I hook up the battery on mine!
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    Hmmm... Now I'm thinking that I should roll my car outside and have fire extinguishers ready before I hook up the battery on mine!
    I think you will be fine. We actually ran a 15 amp fuse in line from the battery to the positive lead to eliminate the chance of any issues and I would suggest it to everyone on their first connection to the battery. We just removed it the other day after we felt comfortable with how the system is functioning and now have a direct connection on the terminal post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I'm glad you found it!
    Thanks Brian.