Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: California registration

Post Thanks / Like

California registration

I'm flying to California (Tehachapi near Bakersfield) tomorrow for a job interview.
    So here's the question. How hard is it to register a Coupe in CA? I've heard about the SB100, but not sure what it is and if you need it or not. Also would it be easier to have a previously registered vehicle then to start the process in CA?
    Not sure I have the job yet, but want to know what is involved to have all my bases covered.

Thanks,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I recently completed the registration process here in Southern California. It wasn't difficult, just time consuming. If you wait to do it here you will have to go through the SB100 process. The SB100 number is something you will obtain after making an appointment and paying the license, registration, and taxes on the vehicle. The branch will call Sacramento and assign you a number. They only hand out 500 per year and it is unlikely that they will run out of them before years end. I had to wait until I received the official document in the mail in order to schedule my smog exemption inspection with the state BAR referee. One thing you will find here in the wonderful State of California is the DMV is consistently inconsistent.

If you would like more specifics about my experience please don't hesitate to PM me.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Not difficult just tedious and requires patients with the beaurocracy.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just went through it last fall myself. It's not too difficult but you need to pay attention to the details and requirements. The main reason to do this (as opposed to a "regular" registration) is that you won't need to have smog tests, which are required for all 1976 and later vehicles in CA. The SB100 (known as SPCNS by CA) is basically a way to have your car qualify for smog as per an older (usually 1960s) car.

I'm not sure how you'll need to handle a previously registered car. I'd guess it depends on how it's registered. I'm only speculating but if the state of CA views your coupe as 1976 or newer, I'm pretty sure you'll be subject to regular smog testing, which you'll never pass since it includes a provision to be "equipped as original" and any aftermarket parts would have to be CARB approved.

Here are a few links I found helpful: home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf‎

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I'm no expert but the last thing you want to do is give the DMV any reason to register the car as 1976 or later. There are three different inspections required.

1. CA Highway Patrol - they wanted receipts to confirm I didn't use stolen parts...that's what he told me. They assign a VIN and attach a VIN plate...sometimes...I did not get a VIN plate. I showed him the FFR serial number stamped to the 2X2 tube under the dash and he used that. FREE

2. Brake and light inspection - needs to be done by CA Highway Patrol certified inspection station...I needed the lights adjusted so my bill was $160 for the adjustment and inspections.

3. SMOG inspection/exemption - You have to get this done at a DMV certified SMOG Referee. The two in my area are Community College Automotive departments. The inspector was a "car" guy and we spent most of the time bench racing. I provided a bunch of photos documenting that I built the car. I also had to have a PVC system. Never took the car off the trailer or started the engine. FREE

Below is the final goal.

Last edited by CJBergquist; 04-30-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    John, send a PM to RAY. He is retired CHP and knows a lot about California Motor Vehicle Law.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they inspect the engine. I am planning to put a coyote in my Gen 3 Coupe. Will the year of the engine affect the registration of does everything go off that SB100 number?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Do they inspect the engine. I am planning to put a coyote in my Gen 3 Coupe. Will the year of the engine affect the registration of does everything go off that SB100 number?
    Here is the section:

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE - HSC
    DIVISION 26. AIR RESOURCES [39000 - 44474] ( Division 26 repealed and added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    PART 5. VEHICULAR AIR POLLUTION CONTROL [43000 - 44299.91] ( Part 5 added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    CHAPTER 5. Motor Vehicle Inspection Program [44000 - 44126] ( Chapter 5 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

ARTICLE 2. Program Requirements [44010 - 44025] ( Article 2 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

(a) Upon registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a specially constructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code, shall be inspected by stations authorized to perform referee functions. This inspection shall be for the purposes of determining the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application. The owner shall have the option to choose whether the inspection is based on the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year.

(1) In determining the engine model-year, the referee shall compare the engine to engines of the era that the engine most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to the engine in any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established engine model-year and that the engine reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(b) Upon the completion of the inspection, the referee shall affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the engine model-year or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application.

(c) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall annually provide a registration to no more than the first 500 vehicles that meet the criteria described in subdivision (a) that are presented to that department for registration pursuant to this section. The 500-vehicle annual limitation does not apply to the renewal of registration of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.

(Amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 693, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2003.)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, funny seeing this post!
    Never happened.....

John