Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Rear quick jack mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Rear quick jack mounting

I just had a PM from someone asking about my optional method for mounting the rear quick jacks given the tight space to do so with the tank installed. I looked and it appears that I have never posted it on this site so here it is imported from the other forum. I've used this method on a dozen or so cars now (even a Mk3 because it makes things sooooo much easier). Hope this option helps future builders.

The RH side of a Mk3 is a pain however with the lowered structure for the non-perky butt on the Mk4 it's all but impossible to access the bolts once the tank is installed and the trunk floor is completed.

My solution is to use a 1/2" long bolts from the tank side threaded into coupler nuts:

There are no sleeves on the inside; instead I use all thread. After putting it thru the body but before threading it into the coupler I put a fender washer then a nut on it---the washer winds up against the inside of the body and the nut is between it and the coupler. After the all thread was snugged into the coupler the "floating" nuts and washers were used in conjunction with the sleeves and jack bolts on the outside to adjust the rear valance in or out as needed to meet the lower edge of the trunk lid. Afterwards with it positioned and locked down I cut off the excess all thread and installed the quick jacks with chrome acorn nuts & chrome washers. Although you really have to stick your head inside to see it the coupler nut plus a couple of inches of all thread remain visible:

I simply cover the whole works with a piece of wire harness split loom:

Nothing fancy, just hardware store all thread, couplers, nuts & washers. Simple---cheap---easy :001_smile:

Cheers,
    Jeff

coupler1.jpgcoupler2.jpgcoupler3.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Kleiner; 09-09-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: restore photos

2. Thanks Aircontroller, ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes TexasAviator, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty slick! Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff-

I like the mod; very simple, elegant, and a nice finished look when completed.

I believe that I will be plagiarizing your idea. Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Me too, too good not to use.

Excellent idea
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Hey Jeff-

I like the mod; very simple, elegant, and a nice finished look when completed.

I believe that I will be plagiarizing your idea. Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't work out what has been resolved here. I guess once I receive my Mk4 and start working on it will become apparent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done and nice write-up w/ pictures. This was one thing I kicked myself for not doing when I built my Mk3.

CTB - the issue being solved, to oversimplify is this: once the car is completed, body on, quick jacks installed (or overriders, if you go that route) you can no longer remove the body without first dropping (or at least loosening and precariously balancing) the fuel tank. This is because the quick jacks need to be removed to remove the body, and in order to remove the bolts to the quick jacks, you must remove the fuel tank to get clearance.

As you say, once you have the frame in front of you and see where the bolts/fuel tank line up, the problem becomes apparent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kleiner! You are as bad as me for giving out secrets! Just remember there are 91 we agreed we would not give out .....ooops! that was the proof of the rum I'm swiggin.....N>E>V>E>R>M>I>N>D>...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff: I love your mod. Makes much sense. I am just installing the trunk latch on my MK IV and it occurs to me I need to also do something similar with the bolt that the latch latches onto. True? It is a very tight fit to get the nut on that bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slord, I'm about to drill and install a rivnut for my trunk latch. Size is 10-24.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    The nut for the latch bolt can be put on through the inspection cover in the center of the trunk .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    The nut for the latch bolt can be put on through the inspection cover in the center of the trunk .
    Yeah unless one has already riveted that panel in ... oops. And does not make it removable for future body removal via that bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kgkeys View Post
    Slord, I'm about to drill and install a rivnut for my trunk latch. Size is 10-24.

Kyle
    OK that might work. Thanks.
    I also found another thread where guys are replacing that bolt altogether with a U bolt or cleat. That attaches through the panel below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I installed that cover with rivnuts, as well, but I dropped my trunk floor on the left side, so this won't work in my case, either...

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slord View Post
    OK that might work. Thanks.
    I also found another thread where guys are replacing that bolt altogether with a U bolt or cleat. That attaches through the panel below.
    That's not a bad idea. Are they reinforcing the panel with a backer or anything? Seems kinda flimsy.

-Kyle

EDIT: I found the thread Slord was talking about on the other site. They did reinforce with a steel back plate that attaches to the 3/4" tubing.
    Last edited by kgkeys; 11-04-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kgkeys View Post

Kyle
    Hi Kyle: Did that work out well for you?
    I have been sourcing rivnuts here in small town Ontario and there are only 2 places that seem to stock them and, of course, they are only open Mon-Fri business hours. Guess I will have to use a lunch hour and hope I don't have to buy a 100 pack for one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are still in the mail. Ordered mine from some place on Amazon. I did end up getting a bag of 100 for about $10. I have the body off of mine right now, buttoning up some wiring and the driver footbox. I think you'd be hard pressed to drill and install the rivnut with the body on.
    Last edited by kgkeys; 11-06-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typos

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand why FFR hasn't picked up on your mod to make it a kit standard. It is like you say easy and cheap. It would not involve a great change in the hardware kit. After doing the install the first time the old way, I felt beat up with scraps and a couple of little cuts and a sore back. So I plan to do this before removing body for paint again.

Thanks a lot, Jeff!

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my rivnuts, yesterday and installed one for the striker. Easy-peasy.
    -Kyle

20161105_211853_resized_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What size coupler nuts, rods and bolts are you using. I'm having a really hard time finding 7/16-20 for all of the pieces as others have used. My hope is to use stainless but not finding too many places that carry them - not even amazon or Grainger has them.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go. If they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

https://www.mcmaster.com/98804a116

Post Thanks / Like
    ACE hardware sells the stainless 7/16-20 hardware you need for this... at least they do here in SC.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
    What size coupler nuts, rods and bolts are you using. I'm having a really hard time finding 7/16-20 for all of the pieces as others have used. My hope is to use stainless but not finding too many places that carry them - not even amazon or Grainger has them.
    Make it easy on yourself (and cheap)---pick up 7/16-14 cad plated hardware at your local Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store. I can see no need for either fine thread or stainless.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 1/2"-13, because that's the size coupler nuts I could find locally. I had to enlarge the rear body holes slightly to accommodate the larger diameter.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Great suggestions guys. I wanted stainless because I'm in Florida where it extremely humid and I'd lose my mind if I looked in the trunk and saw rust in a few years. Looking at my options for 7/16-14 and 1/2"-13 now. Thank you.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    A slightly different approach. I had the guys that modified the frame weld nuts to the tank side of the QJ flanges on the frame. From there I'll use bolts or threaded rod and then sleeves to support QJs or some other form of bumper. I think the nuts were 1/2-13. I usually build with stainless 'cause I like it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
    I wanted stainless because I'm in Florida where it extremely humid and I'd lose my mind if I looked in the trunk and saw rust in a few years. Looking at my options for 7/16-14 and 1/2"-13 now. Thank you.
    Stainless fasteners are very prone to galling. You are doing this mod to make it easy to remove the body. It would be a real pain getting in there and cutting those apart.

If you must have stainless - Mcamaster Carr has them. Don't forget a great big tube of anti seize.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 02-16-2019 at 10:29 PM.

28. Likes chrisarella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679

Post Thanks / Like

? Overiders

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I just had a PM from someone asking about my optional method for mounting the rear quick jacks given the tight space to do so with the tank installed. I looked and it appears that I have never posted it on this site so here it is imported from the other forum. I've used this method on a dozen or so cars now (even a Mk3 because it makes things sooooo much easier). Hope this option helps future builders.

The RH side of a Mk3 is a pain however with the lowered structure for the non-perky butt on the Mk4 it's all but impossible to access the bolts once the tank is installed and the trunk floor is completed.

My solution is to use a 1/2" long bolts from the tank side threaded into coupler nuts:

There are no sleeves on the inside; instead I use all thread. After putting it thru the body but before threading it into the coupler I put a fender washer then a nut on it---the washer winds up against the inside of the body and the nut is between it and the coupler. After the all thread was snugged into the coupler the "floating" nuts and washers were used in conjunction with the sleeves and jack bolts on the outside to adjust the rear valance in or out as needed to meet the lower edge of the trunk lid. Afterwards with it positioned and locked down I cut off the excess all thread and installed the quick jacks with chrome acorn nuts & chrome washers. Although you really have to stick your head inside to see it the coupler nut plus a couple of inches of all thread remain visible:

I simply cover the whole works with a piece of wire harness split loom:

Nothing fancy, just hardware store all thread, couplers, nuts & washers. Simple---cheap---easy :001_smile:

Cheers,
    Jeff

coupler1.jpgcoupler2.jpgcoupler3.jpg
    I have done this mod, and am at the point of installing the bumper with overriders...a bit confused on the threaded over rider? Do I just install from the outside first and adjust the inside by threading the all thread into the nut extender? And then turn the bolt near the tank to take up the runout on the nut extender? Was that ? Confusing enough?
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    If the overriders are threaded, just drill out the threads to allow the all-thread to pass through and attach with washers and nuts.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If the overriders are threaded, just drill out the threads to allow the all-thread to pass through and attach with washers and nuts.
    Thanks, that was going to be how I originally was gonna do it, but started talking myself out of it...probably over thinking?
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I have done this mod, and am at the point of installing the bumper with overriders...a bit confused on the threaded over rider? Do I just install from the outside first and adjust the inside by threading the all thread into the nut extender? And then turn the bolt near the tank to take up the runout on the nut extender? Was that ? Confusing enough?
    Here is another old post explaining how I install bumpers & overriders:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hlight=coupler

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    My overriders are from ********** and are threaded into molded portions inside them, cannot be drilled out to use washers and nuts.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Overriders just by themselves pose a little different problem, but Kliner's technique for overriders and bumpers provides the basics.
    There was a previous thread on this by Shark (12/3/18) with a good discussion.

This additional information may be helpful.

For Just Overriders: From previous thread

I struggled with a solution for this a few months ago. I was determined to stay with the rear body mount fix, as first described by Kliner, to avoid having to drop the gas tank.

The main problem is that the OVERRIDERS are threaded. They do not slip over the threaded rod like QUICK JACKS, as mentioned.

Also, be sure to note that the OVERRIDERS are front and rear specific. Don't ask me why I say this. The front OVERRIDERS can be threaded as intended because the front jack bolt heads can be reached and screwed into the OVERRIDER. Easy!
    For the rear, in theory the threaded rod could be screwed back into the threads on the OVERRIDER, but I found it impossible to get tight and flush with the stainless spacers. Particularly, since there are 2 rods to thread.

Here is what I did and it worked:

1) Rear OVERRIDER - I drilled out the threads. Now I used 1/2 inch stainless threaded rod but works with 7/16 as well. The OVERRIDERS are polished stainless. Drilling stainless is tough. Have a good cobolt drill bit and use cutting oil. Painter tape the OVER RIDER and secure in a vice with plastic vice jaw inserts.

2) Then I put a nut behind the OVER RIDER plate, first by hand, then used a FLEX Head wrench to tighten it. It takes some patients and fiddling but it is doable. Everything tightens up nicely.

In addition, you may have to adjust the threaded rod lengths. They have to be long enough to get a lock washer and nut behind the OVER RIDER plate, but be short enough to get the nut on.

I also provided a pic of the SS washers I used from McMaster. They have rubber on the one side that goes against the body.
    Note the double nut (one as a lock nut) technique which is helpful in threading on or off the rod. And the Flex Wrenches used.

Remember, it all has to be convenient to take off as well!

SpacerWasher.jpegThreading.jpegORdrilled.jpegORnut.jpegWasher.jpegFlexWrench.jpeg
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 02-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    However, like jrcuz, the ********** overriders are different. They have what is basically a threaded socket welded into the deepest part of the bumper. You cannot drill it out or you're drilling through the over rider. This means you have 2 threaded, bottomed holes that you need to screw into simultaneously... need something like a turnbuckle. Still need to work this out on mine.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    However, like jrcuz, the ********** overriders are different. They have what is basically a threaded socket welded into the deepest part of the bumper. You cannot drill it out or you're drilling through the over rider. This means you have 2 threaded, bottomed holes that you need to screw into simultaneously... need something like a turnbuckle. Still need to work this out on mine.
    True

The fix I was detailing is for those with FFR Overriders, as general information.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the ********** Overriders.
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 02-18-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Zackowski View Post
    True

The fix I was detailing is for those with FFR Overriders, as general information.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the ********** Overriders.
    Thats cool. Not making trouble, just a new twist on the same topic, wondering what anyone else has done.
    As you stated in your very good writeup, the fronts are a non-issue, as you can just tighten the rod into the overrider, then use nuts & washers on the inside.
    But the rears... I may even return my **********s and buy FFR's.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Thats cool. Not making trouble, just a new twist on the same topic, wondering what anyone else has done.
    As you stated in your very good writeup, the fronts are a non-issue, as you can just tighten the rod into the overrider, then use nuts & washers on the inside.
    But the rears... I may even return my **********s and buy FFR's.
    No offense ever taken.

40. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took a slightly different approach, since my tapping was a bit screwy I had trouble getting my threads started, so I threaded a short piece of all thread into the over rider, then capped it with a chrome acorn nut, much easier and looks ok

EC296372-244F-41DB-972E-F143999407F9.jpeg
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

42. Thanks chrisarella thanked for this post
    Likes chrisarella liked this post