Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for Coyote performance specs

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Coyote performance specs

I am planning my build and having trouble deciding the engine to use. Old school 302 vs Coyote 5.0. I am sure the Coyote will be more efficient and reliable, but more expensive up front. I plan on putting many miles on my future beast, so the coyote may pay for itself at the gas pump over a short time. I am wondering if anyone has solid numbers on mpg, 0-60 times, and a fair cost difference for the upgrade over old school. Any info will be appreciated to ease my mind. Decisions,decisions

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The performance (power, mileage, etc.) of the Coyote 5.0 is pretty known. But you really need to describe what you have in mind for the old school 302. It will cause the comparison to vary widely. A pretty stock/mild EFI SBF will not only be relatively cheap to buy, they get pretty good gas mileage. Probably as good or at least similar to the Coyote. On the other hand, a SBF with enough mods to approach the 400+ hp of the Coyote will not get nearly the same mpg. The difference could be as much as 2:1 IMO. Plus the build cost of a highly modified 302 can approach the Coyote cost pretty quickly.

When you say "many miles" how many would you estimate? Our seasons here in MI are a bit shorter than yours in Florida (!) but I drive my Mk3 every chance I get and go to a lot of shows, cruise-ins, work occasionally, errands, etc. Still only getting a couple thousand miles in during the season. At that rate, neither mpg or long term reliability are big factors. I don't expect either of my engines will last 100K+ miles like a Coyote probably would, but I'll never see that many miles in two lifetimes.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also throw a 351 into the discussion. 400 hp from a 351 is quite easy and you get it w/ a mild tune. For me a 351 (or a mild 351 stroker) w/ one of the carb looking efi systems is the best engine for these cars. It looks right and there is still some room around the engine to be able to work on it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.