Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwoods or Brembos on 818 without brake booster

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwoods or Brembos on 818 without brake booster

After winning an auction for an STI, only to find out that the seller bailed and relisted, the huge Brembos on the STI got me thinking. Does the brake system actually have enough juice to clamp the Brembos without the booster? I was honestly thinking about selling off the Brembos and buying the Wilwoods, as the Wilwoods were most likely designed without a brake booster in mind.

Has anyone compared the Wilwoods to the Brembos or have any idea how they would perform?

Do the Wilwood pedals allow more fluid and/or pressure than stock Subaru pedals?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on using the STI Brembos but haven't tested them out yet. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't work without the booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you install the pedal box, you drill a new hole for the brake push rod. Since it's closer to the pivot, this results in additional leverage at the pedal. You should be fine!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    I was also curious about using brembos without the booster. You could always go with an aftermarket replacement master cylinder of a smaller diameter if too much pedal force is needed, or a larger diameter if not enough fluid is being moved to clamp. Example:https://www.chasebays.com/product/su...ter-eliminator

I'm not sure of the accuracy, but I ran across this post which lists MC sizes http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....99&postcount=5

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    buying the Wilwoods, as the Wilwoods were most likely designed without a brake booster in mind.
    The Wilwoods are just the WRX kit.... designed for a booster, but work fine without one.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes the system has enough pressure to close a stock, 4 pot,Sti Brembos, wilwoods, racing Brembos, stop tech big brake kits etc etc with no booster. My brakes lock up with barely any pedal movement with precision. The car tracks straight and true and is manageable under hard braking. I personally se no need for abs ( but could be a decent feature if some like it) and think a booster would make the brake pressure too powerful and snappy for this lite car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris is correct, for any less than all out racing use the stock brakes are very powerful. The car has been on a huge diet, brakes for a fully loaded 4000 lb WRX are now used for a car with a GVW of perhaps 2300 lbs... you have tons of brake capacity. They adjusted the leverage ratio slightly by relocating the pivot pin. You should have no braking issues and will need much grippier tires to require Brembos or the Wilwoods. As the car will have huge capability on the track, more brakes are always better for racing...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I missed the update on adjusting the brake pedal lever. Looked through the revision thread and didn't see any mention. Anyone have a link to what everyone is talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    I think I missed the update on adjusting the brake pedal lever. Looked through the revision thread and didn't see any mention. Anyone have a link to what everyone is talking about?
    Metros,
    It is actually in the disassembly part of the manual.
    Bob

pedal.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I missed it. Thanks for the info.