BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA Limited 818S Build Thread - 07FIREBLADE & The Wizzard

Post Thanks / Like

Got bored while I was installing a wing on my wrx and wanted to see what it would look like on the 818, seriously tempted to get another one now. I also got the hardtop hood pins installed. The gaps need to be fixed a bit but its not as bad as the original engine covers. I still need to remount the front door brackets for the hardtop so I might be able to suck it in slightly. I got mechies hood hinge installed so I will get some pics of the front up hopefully tomorrow.I need to trim the recesses on the hood and mount the rear pins. This weekend I will get the doors installed again and the windows cutout and installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how the wing looks mocked up. Is that '08-14 or 15+?

Post Thanks / Like
    15+ Im tempted to check out the 08-14 though because it might fit a bit better. I could always build it up since it is just fiberglass. The rear fits pretty well and clears the hood pins. It was either the sti or possibly the gtr wing. Loved the look of both styles gtr might be a bit to wide though at the bases.

Post Thanks / Like
    That wing is ridiculously good looking on the HT!!

A bit like a Lotus Exige 360 Cup, but better!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Ebay has unpainted ABS plastic 08-14 wings for $100. Tempting even on my S. Factory five noted that a regular wing would need to be up pretty high to be functional because of the huge negative pressure zone created by the windshield of the S. I'm not sure how true that holds of the coupe. Probably more aesthetic than functional.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its only $100 than Im down to try it. Ive seen the 15+ on amazon for about $130 unpainted and I know its base for the most part fits with a slight gap but could be taken care of for the most part by bolting the wing down. It flexes a little bit and remind me of my old 06 wing I guess its time for some perrin wing stiffeners for my wrx. But this gives me hope that I could just bolt the wing down and get things to line up better.

Post Thanks / Like
    1am couldn't sleep work turned into a fun project:

Resulted in me getting one of my doors hung again with the new frame and I was able to cutout the slot for the window. The inside piece that's left over from the cut is very flimsy and ffr window trim aluminum gives little confidence in the door edge. I need to support the edge more and might do this by using some aluminum angle this would also give me something to bolt the door panels into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad news, sti wing will not work with the hardtop. Learned the hard way after I bought another one to try it out. I new I would have to fix the gap at the bottom but the hatch will not clear the wing when you go to open it. You would need to have wing risers of about 3.5" to make it work. Good news I used an ebay gift card to buy it so I'm not hurting that bad over it. On another note though I was able to get my driver door finished up and door panel mounted. Window fitment was a royal pita but I got it where I like it. One thing I noticed though was that my new door liners are not the same length. The passenger door card is about .75" shorter than the driver side leaving the door frame exposed if the front door aluminium block off plate isn't installed. I guess I need to call ffr in the morning and politely ask for a new matching door card.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else having issues with the door panels not matching. This is really starting to get ridiculous here first it was the front fenders not being symmetrical now its the door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Sad news, sti wing will not work with the hardtop. Learned the hard way after I bought another one to try it out. I new I would have to fix the gap at the bottom but the hatch will not clear the wing when you go to open it. You would need to have wing risers of about 3.5" to make it work. Good news I used an ebay gift card to buy it so I'm not hurting that bad over it. On another note though I was able to get my driver door finished up and door panel mounted. Window fitment was a royal pita but I got it where I like it. One thing I noticed though was that my new door liners are not the same length. The passenger door card is about .75" shorter than the driver side leaving the door frame exposed if the front door aluminium block off plate isn't installed. I guess I need to call ffr in the morning and politely ask for a new matching door card.
    That's too bad about the wing. Did you stick with the '15+ or go '08-14? I still might order one of the $100 '08-14 versions to test fit on my S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you make an extension piece where the wing bolts to the rear hatch but actually rests on the rear for support?

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Can you make an extension piece where the wing bolts to the rear hatch but actually rests on the rear for support?

I could but the wing is made out of abs, it would be much easier if it was made out of fiberglass. Easier to work with and I could of bonded the two together. What I could do if im really determined is rework the hatch glass panel. If this was about 1.25" shorter I could get the hatch to open. Its just fiberglass but thats a project for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely stealing Harley818 idea of using the 02-05 Wrx radio trim for my center console. First pic is just with the radio trim sitting on the center tunnel bars. Second one is with the top mounted dash trimmed so the radio trim would slip underneath it. I didn't have to raise my dash to get it underneath. This is the test mock up dash since I ordered the new vinyl covered dash since the hardtop came with vinyl covered door panels nothing matches anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert, I'm angling my console a bit so it fits without lifting the dash. Looks good too.
    Depends on how much room you have between your shifter and console.
    I moved my shifter back a bit so it works well for me.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got about ~4" between the console and the shifter. I'm actually going to offset the console towards the passenger side about 2" from its current position and trim it down so it's "floating" above the center tunnel. Definitely gives the car a bit of an oem feel.

On another note my V2 iWire harness should be done just in time for the HB show so hopefully I can make it to the show. I get to test out our new ecu box and hardtop revisions as well as the new front end conversions. Once we get the front conversion dialed in we can supply a retrofit for older S/R guys who happened to upgraded to the new nose.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^Happy to hear that. Any new pics of your headlights with leds mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Left them at iWire over the weekend trying to wire up the new harness. I can post some next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Started my center console mods. Got rid of the cig lighter and ash tray from the radio trim. Going for a floating center console look. I'm going to cover the bottom with some aluminum and cover the whole thing with some vinyl of some sort. Next I wanted a clean looking radio trim without the open holes from the original buttons not being installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deja vu for me.... looks like we are after the same thing.....
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Got my projector installed and my LEDs. Working on wiring them up but I decided to epoxy them in place just for time. I might go back and make the retaining brackets depending on how they hold up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! I'm assuming you just eyeballed aiming them for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't even powered them up yet. They are just installed in the bucket. Im trying to finish up the wiring tomorrow and will get them fitted again before the weekend. Ill get them aimed hopefully by the HB show.

N/A
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Those LED's look much better than the multi faceted plastic ones.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Under $30 for a set of 20 from most sellers. Search ebay or amazon or other online retailers for 23mm Eagle Eye LEDs. I had to buy them in multiples of 10 but I got the color combo that I wanted with plenty left over if worse case I need to replace one. They also have a viewing angle rated at 120* so they gave me some confidence in being visible and useful. I have a secret in store to make the car a bit more visible and it doesn't include using the FFR side markers.

Going to test these this weekend. Legitely wrapping my harness all day tomorrow then its going to get installed over the next few days. Need to get the car hopefully back together enough for the show. And bust out a iWire harness in time for the FFR build school. Fun times

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm loving that wiring harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the sizing. Was searching eBay last night and stopped since I didn't know what size to get.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    I have a secret in store to make the car a bit more visible and it doesn't include using the FFR side markers.
    Lucite bar around the perimeter of the lens to catch that led light? I feel like this headlight design lends itself for a glowing strip like my wife's Acadia

2013-GMC-Acadia-left-headlight.jpg
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was considering that. You can cut EL sheet to virtually any shape and make it look pretty solid. It'd be easy to make strips with a sharp design.

The front inside vertical face of the headlamp bucket would be a great place for it as well.
    818C | Kit delivery: 3/19/16 | Status: Powertrain installed
    Daily: 2014 CTS-V - Fat and slow

Post Thanks / Like
    A truly plug and play harness. Drum roll please.....

My V2 iWire harness. This thing is fully loaded with every option you could through at this car. You name it I probably have it or have a provision to have it added already built into the harness. Everything works and hopefully will be able to get installed in time for the HB show. It still ways less than the donor even with the new ecu box. I'm through the very box in but it's going to the powder coated or getting gold foil wrapped.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/...jbh2ymu4c.html

Bend and form into any shape you want...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!

Aero - that stuff looks pretty cool. Way brighter than I would have anticipated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had something else in mind similar product same type of results just using a more commerical grade product.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...l#.VxyNSDArJhE

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 04-24-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That stuff looks sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Had a fun weekend it was a crazy sprint to get the car to the HB show but I was able to. Cars not running great and limped into the registration area. Need to find my vacuum leaks and plug my maf back in. I had to have Tony and Dave push me into a spot right in front of the FFR booth. That was a bit embarrassing. Oh well I still won a trophy and was there to represent our car. There was a strong interest in the car its definitely and eye catcher just wished it was more complete. It will be for next years show and hopefully more people will show up and represent this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I'm sure that felt good to get it to the show with other ffr projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first step to winning is showing up.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! It was great to see you there, and gave me inspiration to finish mine. Thanks for putting up with me taking a crazy amount of photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! It looks very cool and makes me eager to get my hard top & new front end, which should be a month from now. Next year I will be at HB, for sure. And I'll drive from AZ - no trailer needed! My promise to me. How many 818s were at HB?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Congrats! It was great to see you there, and gave me inspiration to finish mine. Thanks for putting up with me taking a crazy amount of photos

Could you email me some of them. I was so dead tired and forgot to take any photos at all. It's quite disappointing actually. I know I could take photos of my own car but it's not the same. Send them to [email protected] if you could.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast