Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Spoiler Options

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear Spoiler Options

Is the spoiler FFR sells for $1500 the APR GTC-500?

AS-107057.jpg

I'm in the market for a suitable spoiler for the 818 and hoping to find the ideal fit at a fair price

818_rear_wing_3__79068.1383859461.1280.1280.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe they used the GTC-300 (not the bigger 500).

FWIW, consider that if your selection is largely driven by performance, the GTC-300 is already capable of delivering more downforce than the FFR offered front splitter can balance at speed. This is probably a good thing for the GTC-300, since its twisted-wing seems ill suited for the R-car and is limited to lower angles of attack to function well.

My take: if you don't have a serious plan for the front, the GTC-300 is enough wing for you. Putting "more wing" on the back will quickly run you into diminishing returns, since you wont' be able to get it balanced at high speeds (to be clear, I'm talking about cornering balance at higher speeds, say 80-100+ mph). Having said that, I think there's a good argument to make for "more wing" if by that you are looking for a more efficient wing to create the same downforce (that the conventional front can balance) with a smaller drag penalty.

If you're looking for a straight wing profile, you might consider the G-stream wing, which is coming in at a similar price point as the GTC-500.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your right. I just got off the phone with APR, its the GTC-300.
    Good information, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, cool! now you are gonna have to figure out the mounting!

Post Thanks / Like
    What are people using for mounts? I'll probably end up running this wing on my S for track days and would like to see an ability to quickly install for the track and remove for the street without the mount being very noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I feel ya, I hate the look of a spoiler and on the street that thing is come off.

I was planning on removing the rear bumper but keeping the sides and rear engine hood on for fitment. Welding 4 x 3/4" square tubes to chassis and have it terminate to some sort of flat base flush with the bottom of the engine hood. I was hoping to have threaded ends also welded to the flat base. With a matching base welded to the bottom of the spoiler uprights and holes to accept the threaded rods, i would mount/remove the spoiler with 4 bolts. My biggest concern is if i ever need to pull the motor i would need to remove the welds.

The 4 bolts would be exposed. I am sure there is a better way and will consult a fabricator for this last step

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, you're going about this all wrong! Once we find you a wing, come on over and we'll fabricate whatever you need and then drink a beer! The trifecta! We'll see how the new NRG wing comes out in a couple of weeks. The price should be pretty good. If that doesn't work we'll find another one. I'd like to make a mount that's removable so you only have a couple of rivnut holes which can be filled with 1/4-20 button heads when not in use. I think the car looks great both ways and with the wing on it makes you look like you're headed to the track wherever you go!

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it is worth, if you are looking for a lower cost option to the APR GTC-300 wing then check-out http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-carbon-gt-wing-15m-p-512.html. The cost is quoted in NZ dollars including GST. That would make the export cost NZ$517 or US$440 for the carbon-fibre one and US$291 for the fibreglass version, plus freight. I am not affiliated to the company, just after the best bang for the buck.

Cheers
    George

Post Thanks / Like
    damn, I wonder how the quality is. Even if it's $200 shipping, it's still half of the APR wing... Good find. Now we need a volunteer to order one and let us know how good it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on installing one on my S kit. For me it the difference between NZ$595 and NZ$2,000+ (landed cost in NZD incl. taxes). Will let you know how it pans out.