BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi-State Group Cruise to FFR Open House on June 11th - Who's IN?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Multi-State Group Cruise to FFR Open House on June 11th - Who's IN?

This is also posted on the FFCARS forum. I'll add details and names interested people to each site as plans progress. The names listed so far are FFCARS user names.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Burleson (N. Texas) and I plan on driving to Wareham, MA. to be at the Factory Five Open House on June 11th. Who else in interested in meeting up along the way and cruising to Wareham, MA. together? Once I know who all is interested I will put together a route/itinerary and post it for everyone. I expect that I will put together details that will include the route and each nightly motel/hotel stop along the way. I'd probably want to do 400-600 miles a day, depending on the route and weather. Notice, I mentioned WEATHER! I'm not a fan of driving in the rain, so the route could be altered or delayed if there's bad weather along the way. It could also cause us to get behind schedule which could cause us to drive more on some days to make up for lost time.

I'm not a huge fan of driving single file, mile after mile. As described in the motorcycle touring world, I believe in riding your own ride. In this case, I guess it will be driving your own ride, so we don't have to stay in single file. We will all likely have cell phones, so we can coordinate that way if some of us get separated along the way. The itinerary will make sure we all end up at the same location at the end of the day and for lunch if the group desires.

I'll leave it up to the group to decide if we want to head back West together, or if we will head different directions after June 11th.

So give me an idea of who all is interested and I'll get started putting something together. Also, if you're interested, PM your email address to me so that I can send out group email as the date approaches. You might also want to SUBSCRIBE to this thread.

I'm already looking forward to this!

EDIT: 02/15/11 - People that have expressed interest:

Joe - Burleson, Texas
    AJuergens - Mobile, AL.
    mydream - Canada (Trailering)
    rscocca - New York
    Pumpkin Racer - Wisconsin (Trailering)
    TimC - Flowery Branch, Georgia
    wayne65 - Lamar, Missouri
    RButton - Ward, Arkansas
    mike covey - Rockport, Texas
    TD - Harrisburg, PA.
    Last edited by Joe; 06-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like

Re-subscribing here. I just have to convince myself to do it.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very interested I have been wanting to do something like this with my roadster for a while. I wont know my work schedule till its closer to know for sure if I can make it work. Dan
    Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

MKII 4393 Tangerine Pearl with white stripes. I try to change something every year because I believe a real hotrod is never done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    I am very interested I have been wanting to do something like this with my roadster for a while. I wont know my work schedule till its closer to know for sure if I can make it work. Dan
    Hope you can make it Dan, but work being a priority is understandable. Looks like there's a couple of others from your neck of the woods that are hoping to go too. I'll add you to the list and just let me know if you learn later that you won't be able to make it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! Thanks Joe for getting the ball rolling.
    Mk4 #7237
    Ordered 12/28/2009; Pick Up 5/17/2010; First Start 6/19/2010; First Go-Cart 6/19/2010; Tag & Title 11/8/2010 Graduated 3/26/2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Exact Route Details to Factory Five Racing, Wareham, MA.

On April 1st. I will begin working on a route, based on the location of people that have expressed interest. I would ask that on April 1st., if you're on the list and don't think you can make it for whatever reason, please let me know. When I start laying out the route I will make it in a northeasterly direction, but will slightly deviate north or south to run it in the general direction of people who want to join the cruise.

As far as hotel selection goes, I'm shooting for decent places in the $100 per night range, but less would be better if I can find them. Once I know how many people are interested, I will try to work out a group discount at each of the hotels. The parking lots will not be secured locations, so I would recommend buying waterproof car covers if you don't already own one. I have parked many times in unsecured hotel parking lots and never had a problem while my car was covered. It's also not a bad idea to have a rain suit and umbrella handy too.
    Last edited by Joe; 02-15-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Massachusetts and have met a few guys on the way down to the open house. That drive with 15 Cobras going down the highway is the best part of the day. Very cool. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Routing suggestion

Having done this trip three times from MD to MA, please go way north of NYC. As tempting as it is to get stuck in NY traffic, with our big, belching engines, I think you'll have a much more enjoyable drive if you take I-87, for example.

The picture below is from last year's drive through NYC to Open House. We were 45 minutes in that bottle-neck to cross the bridge. And potholes to take out oil pans and trannys--fuggedaboudit.

Post Thanks / Like

"Drive your Own Ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Having done this trip three times from MD to MA, please go way north of NYC. As tempting as it is to get stuck in NY traffic, with our big, belching engines, I think you'll have a much more enjoyable drive if you take I-87, for example.

The picture below is from last year's drive through NYC to Open House. We were 45 minutes in that bottle-neck to cross the bridge. And potholes to take out oil pans and trannys--fuggedaboudit.
    Thanks Magnus. I expect that I probably won't be able to put together a route that will be all things to all people. Some people may want to split off and run into NYC, while others might want to run up north and check out Niagra Falls. I will probably just put together a route which will include final stops for the day and leave it up to individuals to decide what side trips they want to incorporate along the way. It's part of my "drive your own ride" philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe-- I'm still in, took the beast out today for a little shake down, no leaks, no stalls, bases loaded, Also wife gave me the go ahead, (its out anniversary on the 12th) Love that lady.
    Cheers,
    Bob S.
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rscocca View Post
    Joe-- I'm still in, took the beast out today for a little shake down, no leaks, no stalls, bases loaded, Also wife gave me the go ahead, (its out anniversary on the 12th) Love that lady.
    Cheers,
    Bob S.
    Wow, she sounds like a keeper.. The wife too! See you in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,

I may be in as well... As long as you guys don't mind having a GTM tag along. I'm still in the finishing up phase. Jeff Collins is mounting the body as we speak. Then the interior will go in. We'll see where we are then. If it shakes out well, my wife and I will make the trip.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Joe,

I may be in as well... As long as you guys don't mind having a GTM tag along. I'm still in the finishing up phase. Jeff Collins is mounting the body as we speak. Then the interior will go in. We'll see where we are then. If it shakes out well, my wife and I will make the trip.
    You would be more than welcome to join in. Just tell you wife that at some point she's gonna have to get out of the car because I want a ride in the GTM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, looking forward to seeing the route. As you get up towards the city, if you take the route straight up 287 to 87 and then across 84 its a pretty nice drive and you will avoid a ton of traffic around NYC and 95 in Conn. If people want to go into NYC, its an easy jump off for sure, but heading north for the main route is the way to go. I had my body painted up in Connecticut and every time headed up that way and over, and I am sure its the route I will take to the open house this year.

_Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like we got ourselves a CONVOY!
    Sten
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I noticed in the initial post that there is a reference to using cell phones to coordinate the ride in case people get separated. We tried that last year and it was a bit tricky because of hand-gearshift coordination, wind-buffeting, unfamiliarity with surroundings, short battery life.
    Not saying you can't, just saying these are some considerations. Perhaps some system of texting or twittering everyone as a group might work where you can simply give a collection-point address and then we can key that into our GPSs. Or share the address via email, or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Magnus.. It's not perfect, but it's just another tool. As I tell my wife, if I don't answer just leave a message and I'll call back at the next stop. I have a cell phone charger in the car, so I shouldn't have dead battery issues. I'm also looking at setting up real-time mapping/tracking using Latitude and my cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could be cool to watch the map as we converge.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use these when driving the roadster, work great. I put it on my left ear and just talk.

http://www.vxicorp.com/products/blue...dsets/b250-xt/

62797bdfb229b52991d57d8c27cd865d.jpg
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rscocca View Post
    I use these when driving the roadster, work great. I put it on my left ear and just talk.

http://www.vxicorp.com/products/blue...dsets/b250-xt/

62797bdfb229b52991d57d8c27cd865d.jpg
    You're hired! Come on down here to start the trip. You will be the Communications Director for the trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just a test to see if embedded maps will display on this forum.

EDIT: If someone can figure out how to get a Google Map to display on this forum, please PM me the instructions! Thanks!

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=2147549429 61634112776.00049ddda83009d9bb769&amp;ll=32.510277 ,-97.254503&amp;spn=0.01133,0.012312&amp;output=embe d"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=2147549429 61634112776.00049ddda83009d9bb769&amp;ll=32.510277 ,-97.254503&amp;spn=0.01133,0.012312&amp;source=embe d" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Untitled</a> in a larger map</small>
    Last edited by Joe; 03-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    You're hired! Come on down here to start the trip. You will be the Communications Director for the trip!
    Wow, now I have to tell the Mrs. I need to drive to Texas to drive to Mass. Sure, that will go over great.

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: If someone can figure out how to get a Google Map to display on this forum, please PM me the instructions! Thanks!
    Instead of trying to embed the HTML code, you might want to place a link to your map in a post, similar to what Geoff did for the '33 HR owners on this thread.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010
    http:/tims33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Already booked hotel, Marriott in Fairfield. About 20 miles away from FFR. I arrive there on the 10th. I plan on stopping to say hello to Mike Forte since I'm up there. looking forward to meeting some of you.

Post Thanks / Like

PM Blocked

Joe, found instructions about embedding your map in a blog and tried to PM you as requested but got this response:

"Joe has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

I can send you a PM if your settings are changed to allow, or post the instructions on this thread. Let me know.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timdks View Post
    Joe, found instructions about embedding your map in a blog and tried to PM you as requested but got this response:

"Joe has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

I can send you a PM if your settings are changed to allow, or post the instructions on this thread. Let me know.
    Sorry, I don't know how that got turned off. In any event my PM function has been turned back on. Have you tried posting a map in a blog? I just checked and HTML is turned off in Blog posting too, which appears to keep the Google Maps from displaying.

Post Thanks / Like
    In any event my PM function has been turned back on.
    Thanks for turning on that function Joe. PM has been sent. Good luck with posting your map. Great idea.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay guys. Here is the route to the Open House in Wareham, MA., starting from my location in Burleson, TX.

Here are the details:

Tuesday, June 7th, 2001 - Burleson, TX. > Hot Springs, AR. (377 miles)
    We need to leave the DFW area EARLY to beat the traffic. Please plan on leaving with full gas tanks from the IHOP, 908 North Burleson Boulevard, Burleson, TX 76028-2904, at 6:30AM. I will be there at 5:30AM for breakfast. The route will be very scenic and will take us on the Talimena Scenic Drive, through the Queen Wilimena State Park and the Ouachita National Forest. Although the mileage is low, this will involve plenty of pretty scenic driving and will get you warmed up for the next three days!

Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 - Hot Springs, AR. > Louisville, KY. (571 miles)
    The route takes us up though Memphis, Nashville and Bowling Green, KY. Depending on time, we could stop and check out the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. We have a lot of miles to cover this day, so we will need to eat a quick lunch along the way, especially if we want to stop at the museum for an hour or two.

Some Kentucky Cobra Club members are planning to meet us for dinner and socializing once we get to Louisville on Wednesday. There are also plans for them to join us on Thursday as we cruise east towards Lexington.

Thursday, June 9th, 2011 - Louisville, KY. > Harrisburg, PA. (572 miles)
    Routed though Kentucky, West Virgina, Maryland and up into Pennsylvania. Scenic countryside along the way.

Friday, June 10th, 2011 - Harrisburg, PA. > Raynham, MA. (425 miles)
    The plans are to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Raynham. Raynham is very near where the 'Burger King' caravan crowd takes off from to head to Factory Five Racing. It's about a 30 minute ride over to FFR on Saturday morning. Since it's a short day of driving, we should have extra time to socialize with Chevy Randy, Scarlett and the rest of the group that will be heading to FFR on Saturday morning.

Saturday, June 11th, 2011 - Raynham, MA. > Factory Five Racing (25 miles)

Just to get you in the mood. Here's "vintage" footage from the 2006 Open House! Give it time to load.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/sho...ropenhouse.wmv

If anyone knows of a major problem or issue with this route this, please let me know ASAP. I'm going to start working on hotel locations in Hot Springs, AR., Louisville, KY., and Harrisburg, PA. very soon.

As I previously mentioned, nothing says we all have to drive together each day. For example, some people might want to take a longer more scenic route on some days. This route uses Interstate Highways most of the way and it will still take us 4 days to make the trip. I could have designed a slower, more scenic route, but I'm not so sure that everyone would be interested in spending more hours in the car each day.

Last edited by Joe; 04-10-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hotel details / nightly stops

This post will be updated as Hotel Details become available.

June 7th - Hot Springs, AR.

Red Roof Inn - Hot Springs
    1125 East Grand Avenue
    Hot Springs, AR 71901
    501-624-3321

Tell them you're with the "Cobra Car Club." They will "try" to put us together in down stairs, King, non-smoking rooms, $59.99.

Trip Advisor gives it decent reviews. Recent Remodel. Red Roof Inn Hot Springs is newly renovated in 2010 and offers an upscale room at a great price. It is located at the foot of the Hot Springs National Park & Mountain Tower Hiking Trails. This hotel is conveniently located ½ mile from the Hot Springs Convention Center and only 1 mile from Magic Springs and Crystal Falls. May be able to park directly in front of room if you book soon.

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...aspx?pid=00736

June 8th - Louisville, KY.

AJuergens did the legwork for this location and decided on the Louisville, KY. Red Roof Inn. The Kentucky Cobra Club is expecting us! Some of them may be meeting us for dinner and then driving with us (running us out of town ) to Lexington, KY on the morning of June 9th.

Red Roof Inn
    Louisville East - Hurstbourne
    9330 Blairwood Road
    Louisville, KY 40222
    (502) 426-7621

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/...il.aspx?pid=34

rooms are $54.99 a night for a one bed room non smoking. this does not include the 10% people will get off for AAA.

June 9th - Harrisburg, PA.

Park Inn
    5401 Carlise Pike
    Mecanicsburg, PA.

If you need a room send me a PM and I will provide info to get a room for $79.00 for the night.

http://www.parkinn.com/hotel-harrisburgwestpa

June 10th - Raynham, MA.

Courtyard by Marriott - Raynham, MA
    37 Paramount Drive,Route 44
    Raynham, Massachusetts 02767 USA
    508-822-8383

I don't have any special deal at this time with this hotel. Use your AAA, Senior Discount, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...oston-raynham/
    Last edited by Randy Jones; 05-20-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling mistake with Raynham

Post Thanks / Like
    A new post just to get the attention of anyone participating. All of the hotel info has been completed and posted. See the above post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing. See you in Pa. Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be the link to a BLOG page that will hosting the real-time map that will track our progress as we drive to Wareham, MA. and beyond.

http://www.cobratrip2011.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Have Fun

Should be a great adventure. You and your team have done a lot of planning to pull all of this together. Sorry I won't make it this year (just got the engine in), but hopefully you, or someone else, will organize such a trip next year. Assuming you'll let a guy with a '33 HR tag along.

I'll be following your blog as you head out tomorrow. Hope you include a lot of pictures and video so those not going can enjoy it vicariously.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to have a 33 tag along, but you would have to ride in back! Just kidding..

Made it to Hot Springs, AR. safe and sound. The last half of the day was REAL hot. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little cooler!

Just met Wayne65 and his wife, very nice people. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Shower - CHECK

Dinner - CHECK

Car Cleaned and covered - CHECK

Now, time to watch some Mavericks kick some Heat butt! Go Mavs!

Should be a great adventure. You and your team have done a lot of planning to pull all of this together. Sorry I won't make it this year (just got the engine in), but hopefully you, or someone else, will organize such a trip next year. Assuming you'll let a guy with a '33 HR tag along.

I'll be following your blog as you head out tomorrow. Hope you include a lot of pictures and video so those not going can enjoy it vicariously.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Watch your rear view mirror as you may see a blue one coming up behind you soon! Not leaving till very early Thursday AM BUT will put a lot of miles down in a couple of days.
    Like your idea, Joe, of using some of this new technology to show tracking info! Keeps the wife updated on progress etc!
    Will see if I can get it going too, so you can know how soon we'll catchup!

Drive safe and enjoy the trip, Joe, see ya soon!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to have a 33 tag along, but you would have to ride in back! Just kidding.
    Tagging along would be fun. What do they say about saving the best for last?

Enjoyed watching you move through the back roads to Hot Springs. Love the tracking technology. What system are you using? My son uses Spot on his motorcycle and it is always fun watching his adventures.

Are you still planning on a stop at the Corvette Museum?
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    We ran out of time and couldn't stop at the museum. We had a date scheduled with some Kentucky Cobra Club members for dinner so we had to press on. KCC showed us a great time. Great burger place and then more fun times in the hotel parking lot, doing a little tire kicking, war stories and various libations!

The tracking system is Google Latitude, available with Android phones. I wish there was a way I could post a map that you could zoom in/out, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

Well it looks like we might be dodging rain storms tomorrow. We're going to put in 300 miles in the morning and eat lunch at my Mom's in Friendly, WV. I think she's been cooking for two days. lol.. Then from Friendly, WV. we'll doing another 300 miles and end up in Harrisburg, PA.

Tagging along would be fun. What do they say about saving the best for last?

Enjoyed watching you move through the back roads to Hot Springs. Love the tracking technology. What system are you using? My son uses Spot on his motorcycle and it is always fun watching his adventures.

Are you still planning on a stop at the Corvette Museum?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be watching! Are you going to make it to Harrisburg, PA. Thursday night?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Button View Post
    Watch your rear view mirror as you may see a blue one coming up behind you soon! Not leaving till very early Thursday AM BUT will put a lot of miles down in a couple of days.
    Like your idea, Joe, of using some of this new technology to show tracking info! Keeps the wife updated on progress etc!
    Will see if I can get it going too, so you can know how soon we'll catchup!

Drive safe and enjoy the trip, Joe, see ya soon!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Joe, if we leave here as early as I hope, I expect we'll be in Eastern PA or New York area by Thursday Night.

Joe had a great idea to add GPS tracking to the trip!! So here goes my try at a GPS tracing system. I looked at Google Latitude and was going to try it but came up with a different one.

http://rbutton.com/openhouse.htm should show the track as we leave the house tomorrow am
    The map should be able to zoom in and out as well as move around on it.
    Last edited by R. Button; 06-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Ralph Button

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

will not make it after all to Open House

The only GPS track I have is the current one to the ER at the medical center started at 3:30AM as I followed the ambulance.
    Ralph Button

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast