Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chevy 700r4 trans speedometer hook up?

Post Thanks / Like

Chevy 700r4 trans speedometer hook up?

I need some help as I am completely lost with the what and how to hook up the speedometer from the transmission to the supplied harness. The speedometer gear supplied from FFR is for a Ford and not a Chevy.
    I am running a Chevy 700r4 transmission which was built by Phoenix Transmission.

Any help or guidance with part I need and how to hook it up to the supplied harness is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep. You need a sending unit to convert from the cable to electronic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5291/overview/

Jack
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jack!

I have also heard that Autometer has a GPS device (#5289) that is basically a "plug and play" type of deal and nothing actually hooks up to the transmission, which would be nice. Looks like the way to go but it cost about $100 more. The issue I may have with the pulse generator is I am not sure how long they are and will it hit the inside of the trans tunnel. I am going to try and find one locally and hopeful maybe measure it and see it to make sure it fits OK.

Quote Originally Posted by maczter View Post
    Yep. You need a sending unit to convert from the cable to electronic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5291/overview/

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles:
    I started with the pulse generator and you're right I had to cut the tunnel and re-fiberglass (old tunnel) for the Lokar linkage on my 700R4 and for the pulse generator. I'm happy with the GPS unit.

Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    Thanks Jack!

I have also heard that Autometer has a GPS device (#5289) that is basically a "plug and play" type of deal and nothing actually hooks up to the transmission, which would be nice. Looks like the way to go but it cost about $100 more. The issue I may have with the pulse generator is I am not sure how long they are and will it hit the inside of the trans tunnel. I am going to try and find one locally and hopeful maybe measure it and see it to make sure it fits OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the GPS unit as looks like I can just plug it in under the dash and be done with it! How did you wire yours up? Also do you have any pics of your linkage for your Lokar shifter? I installed mine in the furthest position backwards but was having difficulty shifting any lower than overdrive. I put in a space to reduce the angle some and it shifts a lot easier now but still not perfect. It was also rubbing the inside of the tunnel and sanded down a little on the inside and seems to rub anymore. It still needs a little work to get it dialed in to shift smoother and curious if you have similar issues and how you corrected them. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike6568 View Post
    Charles:
    I started with the pulse generator and you're right I had to cut the tunnel and re-fiberglass (old tunnel) for the Lokar linkage on my 700R4 and for the pulse generator. I'm happy with the GPS unit.