Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front lower control arm access hole

Post Thanks / Like

Front lower control arm access hole

The bolts on the rear of the front lower control arms are very close or touching the front firewall. Recently one builder said he cut the bolt and others have wondered how they will torque the nut once their 818 is at ride height. Both problems can be solved by cutting an access hole on the firewall big enough for your 22mm socket and then using a hole plug.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed to do both. Mine was so close on the driver's side that I had to trim the extra threads off the end of the bolt just to get the plug on the hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just cut the holes tonight and will head to Ace soon. After looking at this a bit, seemed like by far the easiest solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing and it worked really well. I used these to plug the holes which gave me a little extra room for the threads: http://www.fastenersplus.com/product...ack-pkg-2.html

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 free 40mm hole plugs on your donor. They are used on the firewall (opposite the wiper motor) and as the drain for the spare tire well.

Last edited by rori; 06-25-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to have to add the access hole also. I tried an aftermarket alum lower control arm and it is slightly long and hitting the firewall alum. The donor car L C A just touches the firewall. What bolts and nuts do I use on the bushing that is on the rear of the L C A ? I wasn't careful enough when taking my donor apart. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    After adding these plugs, did you silicone around them to keep the integrity of the firewall as far as water entry is concerned? I think I am going to have to go this route...I don't really see any other options other than taking the entire front end apart to tighten it down with the control arm off the car.

Also, to be certain about torque settings, the build manual states two torque settings for this part. Can someone help me make sure I have these correct? 184 FTLBS for "Front LCA rear bushing mount" and 140 FTLBS for "Front LCA to rear bushing" on ~page 125...which one is the one we are cutting this hole for? My intuition is 140...I am trying to learn FF's nomenclature

Thanks all!!
    ~Rob

2002 WRX 158,000 miles purchased June 2014
    Disassembly completed October 2014
    818 kit #339 delivered 11 April 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
    After adding these plugs, did you silicone around them to keep the integrity of the firewall as far as water entry is concerned?
    I'm not worried about it. The hole is between the passenger compartment and the space in the front end. That space is already mostly sealed from the elements by the front wheel wells and the bottom aluminum. The only way in is the radiator, and that's pretty far away from the hole, I doubt any liquid will ever be able to make the trip.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    don't have a hole saw that big, I will have to do it by feels.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, the factory Service Manual shows 140 ft/lb for the large nut of the front control arm that is at the firewall ( with hole & plug). If you have an aluminum control arm there are 2 bolts holding the threaded post to the arm - those are 114 ft/lb. The 2 bolts that hold the mount to the frame are to be 184 ft/lb. Look carefully which way this is to be mounted as many, including me, mounted this part wrong.

Re water, as Jaime said, you shouldn't get much water at the front firewall. Water can enter through the radiator or through hood vents so I drilled a 1-inch drain hole in the outside back corners of the floor on the battery compartment, just in case.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I'm not worried about it. The hole is between the passenger compartment and the space in the front end. That space is already mostly sealed from the elements by the front wheel wells and the bottom aluminum. The only way in is the radiator, and that's pretty far away from the hole, I doubt any liquid will ever be able to make the trip.
    I did not realize there would be floor up there...thought it was all open to the elements but I guess that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Rob, the factory Service Manual shows 140 ft/lb for the large nut of the front control arm that is at the firewall ( with hole & plug). If you have an aluminum control arm there are 2 bolts holding the threaded post to the arm - those are 114 ft/lb. The 2 bolts that hold the mount to the frame are to be 184 ft/lb. Look carefully which way this is to be mounted as many, including me, mounted this part wrong.

Re water, as Jaime said, you shouldn't get much water at the front firewall. Water can enter through the radiator or through hood vents so I drilled a 1-inch drain hole in the outside back corners of the floor on the battery compartment, just in case.
    Yup...got that the right way. Good reminder!! And thanks for the info on the torque...I had it correct. Yay...confidence is growing

Perfect!! Now I just need to make it happen.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Meatball; 05-18-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    ~Rob

2002 WRX 158,000 miles purchased June 2014
    Disassembly completed October 2014
    818 kit #339 delivered 11 April 2015