Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Harley's 818S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So on this last adjustment go-around here is what I did.

1. Measured top of window to rollbar. 33 inches - check That confirms my windshield is in the correct position and angle per the manual. I want to install the FFR soft-top or hardtop.
    2. Set the rear sails in place and bolt to the rear bumper. Roughly clamp in position to the 5/8 mark per FFR instructions. This is just a starting point.
    3. Assemble the front bumper to the front side fenders and bolt together on the side, and to the fiberglass at the headlight buckets. No headlights installed yet.
    4. lift the front assembly into position sitting on the front of the rear side sails. Mark and cut out clearance for the top rad support - you will have to do this to get it to come back far enough. The assembly should sit on the top of the front supports near the headlight, and on the rear supports near the windshield pillars.
    5. pull the front assembly back, and pull the rear assembly forward to line up with the front of the rear side sails. This was an iterative process until I got it aligned. Make sure you get the front wheels centered on the wheelwell opening. There is no other adjustment for this location. The rear wheels aren't as important as I have adjustable rear trailing links.
    6. Once I had the rear sails in position and front far enough back to line up correctly, i drilled and installed a rivet nut and bolted it together at the rear sail to front fender connection. Now the whole thing is connected but still not bolted in anywhere.
    7. Walk around and make sure the rear trunks fit, and the front hood fits. Clamp and tape parts as necessary to see how well it fits.
    8. Trunks fit well, but front hood still has a problem right at the window pillar fender area. I cut away a bit more of the window pillar fiberglass and got a better fit, but hood still seems like the tails are too long. They hit the window pillars.
    9. Based on what RMSepEx and Mechie had done for the earlier body, I added a 1/2 in spacer under the rear support for the fender. This helped out quite a bit, and is better, but still not ideal at the window pillar area. The rest of the hood seams to the fenders look quite a bit better and aren't squeezing the hood anymore. Maybe I am too fussy, but it has to look good. I will see it if its not.
    10. Good enough for tonight.

Front radiator support cut-outs and fit
    DSCF4835.jpgDSCF4836.jpg

Fit to the front frame - fiberglass is right up to the 1 x 1 steel and about 2 inches below the opening.
    DSCF4837.jpgDSCF4838.jpg

Fit at the window pillar. Might have to trim back the hood returns on the sides.
    DSCF4839.jpgDSCF4844.jpg

Fit at the front of the rear sails where the front fenders attach. Note alignment to the front of the frame. 0.0 inches back.
    DSCF4840.jpgDSCF4842.jpg

Front fender connection at the side near the headlight. I'll have to work on these connections, the FRP isn't the greatest and is a bit lumpy!
    DSCF4846.jpg

Fit at the rear sail to trunk. Trunk not hitting roll bar yet, but i might have to go forward a bit more.
    DSCF4841.jpg

I think I will leave this for a couple days and work on setting ride height before I lock it in.

any suggestions are welcome......I see now why you all took your time on the body fitting. lol.
    Last edited by Harley818; 04-06-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015