Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Naturally Aspirated Fuel Pump Problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Naturally Aspirated Fuel Pump Problem?

Working on my 818S with unusual problem

Completed electrical, regular ECU and factory wiring. (100s of wires rerouted and lenthened. No cold joints).
    Engine starts instantly, runs smooth, Drives no problem. OBD with only errors evap and 1 other emmision. Drives nice up to 25mph-thats as fast as I went on maiden voyage.

Problem. Once it is run it will not restart until after fuel system (gas line) is purged. Once pressure is relieved it starts again instantly. Will also start after 1-2 hour latent (not run) period. Is pressure regulator in the tank? Factory 5 has omitted gas filter and possibly pressure regulator device in tank. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on. Local Subaru dealer/service refuses to address the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the engine is in LIMP or VALET mode, try to reset it by turn the key off and on three times. You could also check
    the manual for the car to see how to get it out of this mode.
    Last edited by 904svo; 06-18-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisL View Post
    Working on my 818S with unusual problem

Completed electrical, regular ECU and factory wiring. (100s of wires rerouted and lenthened. No cold joints).
    Engine starts instantly, runs smooth, Drives no problem. OBD with only errors evap and 1 other emmision. Drives nice up to 25mph-thats as fast as I went on maiden voyage.

Problem. Once it is run it will not restart until after fuel system (gas line) is purged. Once pressure is relieved it starts again instantly. Will also start after 1-2 hour latent (not run) period. Is pressure regulator in the tank? Factory 5 has omitted gas filter and possibly pressure regulator device in tank. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on. Local Subaru dealer/service refuses to address the problem.
    Dennis
    My 07 NA does not have a fuel return to the tank. So if the fuel lines on top the engine are getting to hot, you might have a vapor lock problem.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Found out what was wrong! The return fuel line to tank was kinked. While there is no fuel return via this line there is a pressure relief (which you can hear hiss) when engine is turned off. Works fine now. As Bob_n_Cincy thought it was vapor lock but on outlet not input side.