Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rusty Side Pipes

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty Side Pipes

Need some recommendatios for my exhaust pipes. Previous owner never finished build and left pipes outside for years. Need recommendations for black hi temp paint..Charlie FFR4149

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie, for paint, a lot of guys use the high temp BBQ paint available at any hardware store. VHT also makes a high temp paint that has some ceramic in it that you might want to look into.

As for the rust it is hopefully just surface stuff, a good rust removal spray and some time with a scotchbright pad should hopefully be all you need to get them cleaned up. Of course if you have access to a bead blaster, that might be a quicker and easier solution.

_Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like

I go with Rustoleum satin BBQ paint. All I do is clean it up every so often, wipe it down with thinner and spray! Use a sheet of cardboard, and you don't even have to take'em of the car!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ceramic coat them - you'll be happy in the long run. I can drive mine for ~30minutes, oil temp 190*, water temp 180-200*, get out and touch the pipes without burning myself. In fact, the only time I burned myself was when I (stupidly) touched the headers, thinking since the pipes were cool, the headers would be as well. Yea, that wasn't such a great idea, lol.

I think using bbq spray paint or chroming is silly - you can stand beside my car and not feel any heat off the pipes. I've stood next to others' cobras and was practically melting from the heat radiating from the pipes. Ceramic coating is the way to go.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie, Ceramic coat is nice but more expensive. If you want paint I used the VHT paint and if you ever want to change the look of your car it's as easy as buying more paint.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was back and forth between paint and ceramic coating them, ultimatly decided to go with paint for the ease of touch up. I've been told the front of the pipes as they exit the car are prone to chips and such, and with the BBQ paint a little clean up and quick spray and you are ready to go.

On the heat though, I do have heat shields that I plan on running on the car to cut down on the snake bites.

-Scott
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had mine coated at Nitroplate in TN. $135. I did silver, but I think they also have black if that's the look you're going for. Shipping from here was about $45 each way. The coating actually makes the pipes significantly cooler.
    KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
    Ceramic coat them - you'll be happy in the long run. I can drive mine for ~30minutes, oil temp 190*, water temp 180-200*, get out and touch the pipes without burning myself. In fact, the only time I burned myself was when I (stupidly) touched the headers, thinking since the pipes were cool, the headers would be as well. Yea, that wasn't such a great idea, lol.

I think using bbq spray paint or chroming is silly - you can stand beside my car and not feel any heat off the pipes. I've stood next to others' cobras and was practically melting from the heat radiating from the pipes. Ceramic coating is the way to go.
    Hello Alex.. Welcome and hope you stay out of trouble here..

My pipes are ceramic coated and they still get dang hot and will bite you in less than a second. The photo says it all and hair still hasn't grown back on that part of my leg..

Last edited by Joe; 02-12-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie German View Post
    Need some recommendatios for my exhaust pipes. Previous owner never finished build and left pipes outside for years. Need recommendations for black hi temp paint..Charlie FFR4149
    Charlie,

Get yourself some virgin thinner and a red scotchbright pad, dip the pad in the thinner and make sure to go over the entire side pipe making sure that you have scratched the entire pipe. When you are done, wipe the pipe down with some clean thinner on a rag and let air dry. Once dry, you can then use your choice of high temp paint (I happen to like the VHT as it seems to hold up a little longer than the BBQ paints currently on the market. Regardless of which paint you decide to use,make sure that the ambient air temperature is not less than 60 degrees.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Are yours coated inside and out? I don't ~think~ it matters (although it might because I'm not a ceramic coat expert) but mine are Jet Hot coated - I can literally drive my car for 30minutes, stop, and put my hand on the sidepipe below the door and not get burned.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, it's probably due to the ambient temps. You're pipes are hot before you start the car, and in Alex's neck of the woods the pipes probably cool off the instant the car is shut down :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Joe, it's probably due to the ambient temps. You're pipes are hot before you start the car, and in Alex's neck of the woods the pipes probably cool off the instant the car is shut down :-)
    Good point..
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    A little tough to find as you have to buy from a CAT dealer but Caterpiller satin black exhaust paint is fantastic. Another really good satin black exhaust paint is from House of Kolor. But that is a little more difficult for the average guy to spray.

Olli