Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTC 300 vs. GTC 200 rear wing options

Post Thanks / Like

GTC 300 vs. GTC 200 rear wing options

Food for thought.

F5 team decided between 0 and 1 degree angle of attack was the optimal downforce for the 818R with the GTC300 wing. Any more than a degree of AOA and the car would understeer excessively. The CFD data provided by APR says that at 80 MPH and 0 degrees AOA the GTC300 produces about 140 lbs of downforce.

Now, if you look at the GTC200 CFD data, you can mimic that level of downforce at 80mph with approximately 12 degrees AOA.

The GTC200 is approximately half the price of the GTC300.

I also checked the drag for the GTC300 at 0 degrees AOA and 80 mph... approximately 16lbs, and the drag for the GTC200 at 12 degrees AOA and 80 mph... approximately 13 lbs.

This is all based on CFD data and not mounted on the car, but in a vacuum, it seems the GTC200 is the more efficient and economical choice considering the amount of downforce available at the front of the car. Adding canards, extending the front splitter, etc. could increase front downforce and provide the need for the larger rear wing.

Reference:
    GTC 300 CFD Data: http://www.aprperformance.com/index....sk=view&id=181
    GTC 200 CFD Data: http://www.aprperformance.com/index....sk=view&id=342
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I was recommended the GTC250

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The GTC-200 does seem like a good fit at half the price. Like you pointed out, the performance numbers do seem to work better as well.
    The GT-250 is the same price point as the GTC-300.

Post Thanks / Like
    All this wing talk makes me want them to supply a bolt on mount.....
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    All this wing talk makes me want them to supply a bolt on mount.....
    That's one of the top things on my mind now with my build about to commence. I got an uncoated frame so I could test-fit major components and cut/weld for the wing and perhaps some sway bars before sending the frame out for powdercoat.

I did not buy the wing with the kit. It seems to my un-educated brain that the flat GT series wings (like the one they installed on the red, now gray, car) are a better fit over the compound-shaped GTC wings since we don't have a roof or full windshield.

Anybody getting the GT-250? http://aprperformance.com/racing-pro...justable-wing/

It's slightly smaller than the GT-1000, which I presume is the one on the red car.

Are there any other manufacturers out there worth considering?

Post Thanks / Like
    A twisted airfoil only makes sense if you have a roof line that invites the air to angle down. In that situation, the portion of the wing that's twisted up is angled at the incoming air in a favorable manner - meanwhile the ends (which are not seeing this "down swept" airstream) are favorably angled for the oncoming "open" air.

I like the APR straight offerings for the 818R with the current front end aero capacity. I'd look to others if you are planning on increasing the front aero.

G-stream makes a great wing (the C800) which Ford used on the last Boss 302S.
    GOODAero's Raptor wing is awesome (they claim you should consider it when you want to "upgrade" from the G-stream).

At 120mph both of these wings can produce 600 lbs of downforce; far more than the APR offerings. But honestly, you won't use their capacity if you can't match it up front.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a productive conversation with Tony at APR. I'm definitely leaning toward the GT-250. I didn't know they will build the wing to whatever width between 61" and 71" you desire. They will also position the uprights wherever you need.

I'm going to go ahead and mock-up the rear body panels and do some measuring.

Chad's set-up is inspiring: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Thread/page18

Has anyone considered the type of mounting style below? Probably the main advantage would be easier access to the rear hatch without having to juggle 2 grand worth of carbon fiber every time you open it. Would it break any tech rules?

Daniel_Song_Scion_FRS_GT_5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    With the pins on the wing, it only takes 30 seconds to remove it. Not that much of a hassle, but its a step.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)