Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Backing Plate/Splash Guard for Wilwood Brakes - 12.19 diam, 0.81 thickness

Post Thanks / Like

Backing Plate/Splash Guard for Wilwood Brakes - 12.19 diam, 0.81 thickness

When my left hub broke at the track and my wheel got loose, it bent the Wilwood mounting bracket and the Subaru backing plate/splash guard that holds the caliper. I went to the on-line parts catalog, believing I had 2006/2007 WRX components. The bearings, hubs and nut are all the same for a bunch of WRX's from 1999 - 2007. However, when I searched backing plates and 2006/2007 the Subaru part identified was 26704FE090 for $81.69. There was also a backing plate listed for 2002-2007 WRX's 26255AA071 for $131.74. I asked about the parts (could not get any information) and looked at the pictures on the site (looks like generic diagrams and pictures) and ordered the 2006/2007 specific part although the documentation I found said the Wilwood retrofit kit was for WRX brakes through 2004 but would work with later years. A brief call with Factory Five did not provide any clarity either. So....I ordered the 26704FE090 - which is identical except for where the brake caliper mounts. Seems like it is further from the centerline of the axle. That part is going back.

I have now ordered the 26255AA071 part and am hoping it will work. I have no clue why two parts that are similar are priced so differently.

If I have ordered the wrong part again, please let me know.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, I use Rockauto for many purchases, and for research, they have numerous options and levels of quality to compare. Of all the brands, the warranty is 12 months and/or 12000 miles.
    All the bearing pack photos appear to be lubed and assembled, SKF states "lubed for life".
    You and I had a discussion on bearing type and load factors, tapered roller bearing have good radial load capacity and low thrust load capacity.
    You noted that the hub assembly photo I forwarded in your earlier thread was for a later design. I saw that bearing on my wifes Tribeca rear axle, when it got noisy at 180K miles. It is also used on front hubs. That hub design uses ball bearings which have much higher thrust load capacity. Based on your experience I will change-out my rear bearings; if they are original, they are at 130K miles. Before I settle on the standard service part I will get a front ball bearing hub or the later (2008) rear ball bearing design and determine if I can make it work. The diameters are not far-off. BTW the ball bearing packs are pre-lubed too.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I am going to use the Cadillac calipers in the rear I will not be using the 2007 WRX rear backing plates. If they could be of use to you let me know if the parts you order don’t work out.
    4FEAE7C1-1D42-4712-A373-0D8272BD84E4.jpg

4. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the generous offer.