Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pennsylvania Build

Post Thanks / Like

Pennsylvania Build

Hello everyone. At the end of August I will be picking up my kit and kick off my build. As many of you did, I spent a lot of time researching what it takes and feel very confident that I will be successful. Of immediate concern for me are the issues that remain the most confusing to me, titling and inspection requirements in Pennsylvania. The more I look, the more I find I did not know about the process.

Has anyone participating in the forum gone through the process in Pennsylvania that can share their experiences with me?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through it 8+ years ago. Some things have changed - others have probably stayed the same. Make sure you keep all your receipts for at least all the major components. PA definitely wants to collect the sales tax on everything you bought out of state. If you are using a donor - keep a copy of the title. They know you have to turn the title in when you scrap it, so a copy will do. Once you get it running - you will have to find a specially certified state inspection mechanic (that is something new). I was able to use any licensed inspection mechanic. Mine got a real good look at it when we spent 4 hours doing the 4-wheel alignment (IRS). We did it with the body OFF.

The paperwork will be a PITA - your local state representative can really help. Mine hand-carried the booklet to PennDOT.

Where in PA are you? There are a number of Cobra guys in the Lehigh Valley and NW New Jersey.

My 'Cobra' is now happily registered in Florida as a 1965 Factory Five Replica!

Did I mention keep all your receipts? When you send everything into PennDOT - keep copies of that too!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of PA are you located? - I am in just west of Pittsburgh. Yesterday, I also jumped in with both fee,t and ordered a complete Roadster kit. My drivetrain is a couple weeks ahead thanks to Mike @ Fortes Parts Connection. Right now one of my biggest challenges (besides work) is staying in focus. There are so many great mods out there and how far do you go, or finally say this is what I am going to do? Good luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Camp Hill just west of Harrisburg. I am also going with the complete kit and took advantage of the 1/2 price options and added a lot of upgrades. I went with the Parts Connection for trans (TKO 500) and rear end. Engine is coming from the Engine Factory (347 stroker). I plan to buiild a street/cruiser and will not be making a lot of modifications.

Heat shields are required in PA. I went with Drummer Mike's based on the performance comments in this forum and the look of the shield.

I am finding that in PA we must have heat shields, self cancelling turn signals, back-up light, wind shield wipers and, if I am understanding the rules, bumpers. You must have the car inspected at an enhanced vehicle inspection center. If you go to the PenDOT driver services web page you can get the enhanced inspection rules for titling, a list of authorized centers, the state inspection rules and the various documents you need to begin looking to prepare. Maintaining a complete package of all the receipts related to the kit purchase and major components of the build it critical for titling. They want to verify the legitiment acquisition of the car and parts.

I believe emissions inspection can be avoided two ways. First is driving less than 5,000 miles annually. The second is to have an engine block that was made 1974 or earlier. I have been told that pre 1975 cars are exempt and, in PA, the dating is based on the manufacture date of the block.

I will be interested in hearing your thoughts. Good luck with the build. My delivery is August 30th. Can't wait to get started!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I am in Camp Hill just west of Harrisburg....
    That's funny! I grew up in Camp Hill - graduated from Cedar Cliff in '72 and HACC in '78 (I did a 4 year hitch in the Marines between the two). Worked for PA Dept of Education after HACC and then took a job in NJ.

Welcome to the 'Cobra' madness!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I graduated HS in Philly in '72. Moved to Camp Hill in 87. All of my children are Cedar Cliff Grads.

Between the kids, grandkids and work, madness is a way of life. They are all waiting for a ride in the car. I hope we all can be patient until that day comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, let me get a little closer to home - I lived on Old Ford Drive in Green Lane Farms...

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimoco,
    I am originally from Newberrytown, south on I83 a few exits, now live south of Red Lion in the country; I graduated from Cedar Cliff in 62.
    I am currently building a FFR 33 Hot Rod, I am about 45 min south of you, we will have to get together and compare notes sometime.

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Update

I live in Mechanicsburg. Graduated from Cedar Cliff in 1968.
    I completed my roadster this year but it has been on the road since 2008.
    Let me know if I can help you with your car.
    Bill

BTW - Emissions is not required on Specialty Built Vehicle in Pa.
    Last edited by real2me; 07-29-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome
    reach out if you need anything.
    you are are a stones throw away.
    I am in Hershey, and the shop is in Annville.

I am more than Glad to Help in any way.

Later
    mark D
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. It is great to know there is so much knowledge near by. I greatly appreciate the offers for help and will likely take you up on that.

Steve - Greal Lane Manor. We would have been very nearby neighbors.
    Nevin and Bill - I would like to see what you have build and get your advise. Once I get started I will contact you.
    Mark - I have contacted you a couple of times. Most recently about the back-up light. I also met you in Carlisle in 2013. You have been a great help with sound advise. Thank you

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

Have fun with your build! I never thought I'd move away from PA but I finally got taxed to the point that my wife and I escaped to Florida. Always thought I'd end up back in the Harrisburg area someday. Now that I live in a beautiful part of Florida I know I'll never willingly move back to PA.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm over in Hershey. Great to see others in the Central PA area! I hope to start my 818C build within the year.