BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front tires rub. What did I do wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, pulled and swapped. I still have tires hitting on both sides. XXR 530 wheels with 215/40/17 Nexen tires. My options are.. try not to turn that sharp, add spacers to something, add stoppers to the rack. Hrmm ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Well, pulled and swapped. I still have tires hitting on both sides. XXR 530 wheels with 215/40/17 Nexen tires. My options are.. try not to turn that sharp, add spacers to something, add stoppers to the rack. Hrmm ..
    I had the same issue with the same wheels and tire size. If you are hitting the wheel well, you can gain some room by relieving the fender liner, ie whacking it with a nylon mallet. I also added rack stops (Half inch pieces of PVC pipe slotted to go over the rack) . The combination solved the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bompus, where are your tires hitting exactly? And I mean mean exactly.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, it is a frustrating spot to try and take a good picture, but here goes. I haven't tested this yet, but I don't see a way that I can bend or hammer the wheel well aluminum inward enough for clearance in the two areas that I can see it is hitting on both passenger and driver side. Photos below, I tried to circle where it is hitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, here's some better photos of the major spot. It's hitting the aluminum, not the fiberglass body. Both the body and aluminum are flush or even behind the frame. It's significant enough, that even if the aluminum and body were removed, it'd still be hitting the frame, so I can't do much about that. The other spot it's hitting is the inner wheel well I could probably bend the aluminum to eliminate the rub in that spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Bompus,
    I'm running 235/40-17 toyo R888 in front with clearance lock to lock. I did a lot to get there.
    1: wheel offset. I'm at 45mm. A lower number moves the tire out from the pivot point. So the tire needs more clearance front and rear.
    2: I moved my LCR rear mounts out toward the sides of the car. This move the lower ball joint forward, giving more clearance on the rear side of the tire.
    3: Alignment: mine 4.5deg caster, -1.0 degree camber. Without an alignment, your upper ball joint may not be in the correct place corrupting your conclusions.
    4: I moved my sedan LCR's to the wagon holes in the frame to increase my track width and give me more clearance.
    5: more things I don't remember right now.

There are ways to get there.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-28-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bompus, sorry about the pix it's true they are not easy to take but they do help a lot.

To complement on Bob, I would add the following:

- Being on stands may make it worse, or may make it better. Either way the car needs to be on the ground at ride height and then full lock
    - Alignment! Definately need a real good alignment first
    - I have added 10mm spacers on my alu LCAs between the LCA itself and the black part on inner side towards the middle of the car close to the hurricane mounts
    - That same part can also be flipped around, which I didn't do
    - I have added 10mm wheel spacers, gives a better look too
    - As Bob said, wheel offset plays a role
    - You can add a couple of stoppers on the steering rack too, but I'd do that at the very end, last resort measure, as it limits your turning circle and it ain't that short already on that car
    - Try to have your alu panels curved inside the frame, talking mms here. One of mine is slightly curved outside (or inside the wheel area) due to the coolant pipe passing there, makes a small bump, and that was enough to make it rub there but not on the other side
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine rub also. I am probably going to go down to smaller tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    For sure you need to do an approximate alignment first...… you can do that with the string method.... just google it.
    I'm running XXR 530's with +33, 235-40-17 Maaxis tires in front and I have a very slight rub that is barely taking off the paint on the tin.
    I flipped the mount for the LCA but I didn't have to add the 10mm spacer to get the caster I needed. Running +5.5 degrees caster
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

10. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mine are also rubbing at full turn either way with 235-40r17. Dont know the offset of these XXR wheels though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    For sure you need to do an approximate alignment first...… you can do that with the string method.... just google it.
    I'm running XXR 530's with +33, 235-40-17 Maaxis tires in front and I have a very slight rub that is barely taking off the paint on the tin.
    I flipped the mount for the LCA but I didn't have to add the 10mm spacer to get the caster I needed. Running +5.5 degrees caster

Well hey, this is exactly my setup and issue! except with Falken Azenis
    I aligned the car at work few times and I just used a Lotus Elise as a baseline since I had to put in a VIN to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy with my set up and have been driving it for 3 summers now.
    Made a couple improvements to caster and straight line tracking in the last year with the last flip of the LCA mount.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12