Thanks. Actually it only took about 10 or 15 minutes. Of that I only spent may be 3 minutes scrubbing with a plastic bristle kitchen scrub brush. I think the etching wheel cleaner does all the elbow grease for you.

So today was transmission day... taking it all apart and putting the Quaife in. Since I'm putting new OEM differential carrier bearings, I'm going through the hassle of starting from scratch on setting the pre-load and backlash. I'm not 100% sure I have to but it's good insurance and only costs me time.

The FSM tells you that you need some special tools to do this right. One is a wrench that lets you turn the carrier adjusters and another is a glorified paper weight. Did some googling and found out the paperweight is just a 10lb chunk of metal that sits on the right side bearing race (at this point in the install you leave the right side adjusting housing off). I can rig up something for that. And for the wrench that allows you to adjust the carrier, I made this:

Like many others, I had to heat up my ring gear and freeze my Quaife to get the ring gear into place. I baked my ring gear in my easy bake oven I have to say, that oven has come in really handy and it doubles as a food dehydrator (that's how it started it's life).

I called it a night after getting all the new parts installed into the transmission and torquing everything down. Tomorrow morning when I get going again, I'll start on the pre-load and back-lash check. That's probably going to take a number of hours since you have to take the thing apart and re-torque everything back together after each adjustment. Hopefully I don't have to do it too many times.