BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best donor for 818R?

Post Thanks / Like

Best donor for 818R?

I know this has been discussed to death, but what is the best donor for the R to be competitive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think doing a spec build would be the best for the car? I know spec classes grow the fastest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greydog View Post
    I know this has been discussed to death, but what is the best donor for the R to be competitive?
    A JDM donor or no donor (just buy engine and transmission), bottom line is that a JDM EJ207 will be one of the best bets for a R version as it has great internals and is under 2 liters, the JDM 5sp is also one of the best bets for its gearing and internals.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greydog View Post
    Competitive is the operational word. It all depends on the class rules you intend to run in. Tony (above) and I are thinking along the same lines of 8lbs/hp and 5 speed trannys. So a good donor as he stated is is a JDM engine/tranny, lots of relatively low mileage ones available on eBay and JDM importer websites. That would work for NASA ST2.

However you may want to run a class where the specs we are considering would not be competitive. If you want to run ST1 or SPO, you will want way more HP, a 6 speed tranny, and other mods. So you'd be thinking of getting an STI , or the rare Legacy Spec B.

I think the USDM or JDM Legacy GT is a great donor if all you want is the engine/tranny. 2.5 liter, the 5 speed tranny is stronger, and the gearing gives more top end. See my post in the transmission thread if you want to compare tranny gear ratios, final drives, and where they come from. The LGT has the highest top speed gearing you will find. And I'm sure these cars can reach it!

BTW, all 2008 + 5 speed trannys have the stronger, shot peened, gears. It's only the earlier WRX 5 speeds that are weaker. The 2005-2006 LGT have the stronger gears. But an LGT's other parts won't work.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer