Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 818R Project has arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    The must have first start video
    https://www.facebook.com/mitch.wrigh...=video_comment
    Consul photo's
    IMG_2016.JPGIMG_2017.JPGIMG_2018.JPG

Started on roughing in the alignment today, on the scales to finish it up tomorrow. I am excited to drive the thing for the first time.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-28-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, big congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove the car for the first time today, did 3 laps around the neighborhood. She feels like she wants to go, 38 degrees temps it will spin the old tires I have on it at will in 3rd. It also didn't take much to lock up the fronts on the brakes.
    When I get back in town I will take the car out to the track for some more shake down miles before the body starts to go on.
    My scales decided to go on the fritz, they wouldn't zero out. So knowing what it weighs will have to wait for the scales to come back from repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Mitch,
    Getting the front to lock up is the easy part.
    This was my go kart weights with about 5 gallons in the front tank..

Corner weights 20141007.jpg

I'd love to have you take out my car for some laps. Any setup advice would be fantastic.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob
    I have been shooting for 1500lbs as a gokart, or a little less. I think I have done a lot of work to eliminate some weight, the scales will tell.
    I have a lot of bias to front right now if the weather is agrreable next weekend I will take the car to the track and play around on the skid pad then log some easy miles on the track.
    Not sure how much help I can be at this point but I look forward to you guys coming down to play.

Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put 30 miles on the go kart today at the track. I few minor issues, 2 of my vacuum caps came off started running badly. Rear calipers and brake hose at the banjo bolt were seeping just little. Other than those minor things the car ran well, tracks straight, brakes straight, got the brake bias close.
    Something that needs attention is the rear steer/rear bump steer (haven't bump steered the car yet) but the rear feels nervous.
    Other than alignment and spending some time on the bump steer I need to get a set of tires on the car that are not from the stone age.
    Anyway a great day now spend some more time on the basic set up and start on the body.
    I will post a video clip shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Put 30 miles on the go kart today at the track. I few minor issues, 2 of my vacuum caps came off started running badly. Rear calipers and brake hose at the banjo bolt were seeping just little. Other than those minor things the car ran well, tracks straight, brakes straight, got the brake bias close.
    Something that needs attention is the rear steer/rear bump steer (haven't bump steered the car yet) but the rear feels nervous.
    Other than alignment and spending some time on the bump steer I need to get a set of tires on the car that are not from the stone age.
    Anyway a great day now spend some more time on the basic set up and start on the body.
    Great to hear about another trouble free R, congrats
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excellent! Can't wait for the video. Congrats!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear indeed! Go kart stages were a lot of fun and good to work out the kinks before the big track.

I had a lot of issues with blowing off vacuum lines. I ended up buying small hose clamps for all of them. Though some people swear by hair spray and a lighter to seal it.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Very good to hear you are off to a promising start. Looking forward to more track stories.

I buy silicone vac caps online. They last forever and work great. Also use spring hose-clamps on them (order from ebay or Amazon).

I've heard others talk about what you are describing in the rear and in their cases, it ended up being the upper trailing arm adjustment (the one that controls the twist of the spindle). If you haven't already, you need to adjust it so the two lower lateral links are parallel. Also, rear toe will affect back end stability too, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mitch,Michael drove the 818s to high school this morning. 28F this morning when he left. The roads where wet and patched of ice. We switched from235, 255 r compound to 225 all seasons tires. He said the car handling was very loose.

He might be the first on to get an 818 stuck. His parking space had a lot of ice. He had trouble getting out of it this afternoon.

I don't how much handling value you get from a cold track testing.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-14-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, very true and absolutely agree.
    I was driving very tamely on tires that are old, I am sure the 50* track temp and 4 hockey pucks has a lot to do with the nervousness.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-15-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday wasn't a track test, it was a shake down. I wanted to get some miles on the car, my goal was to find issues/problems to be able to correct them prior to the installing the body. Which I did, in all it was a successful day. Just taking it easy and really not trying the car had no problem seeing 120mph (couldn't help myself)according to the AIM GPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shake down video at NCM Motorsports Park running both the 3.2 mile track and 2.9 mile circuit https://youtu.be/Jw11Yq3Vm3k
    https://youtu.be/I68icJXoNvc
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Mitch.
    I wish my office sat in the middle of a race track.
    Track looks great.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I was admiring your driving skills... then saw your affiliation with NCM and your decorated driving history. No wonder your driving looked so smooth! Also, so jealous of your office!!

Glad to see the 818 shakedown went well!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Mitch!
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    Good days and PITA days like most jobs. (More good than bad though) Moving into our new building next month, it will be nice to get out of the trailer.

Tamra,
    Thank you for the kind words and from a National Champ no less.

Thank you Brian, still need some tweaking but I am very pleased.

Started on the body today, need to do some reading tonight for some install tips and tricks of others as I move to the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the weekend on the body install, and I can really appreciate the comments from others about taking your time and the helpful hints. Making progress but can see another 2 weekends to be happy with the install.
    rear deck install.JPG3-4 front BW install.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, getting closer!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    All of our hours were in the rear of the car, closing up the gap under the roll cage, closing the gap at the top rear of the door, and making the rear trunk and deck lid one piece that lifts straight up and off the car. The front is a dream compared, only fitting the lights kinda sucks. We have another after market set on the way, that have more adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2033.JPG
    Finshed up and happy with the way the rear fits and moved to the front fascia, headlights, and fenders. After a few hours of working on the fender headlight fit, getting frustrated I had to move on to something else.
    Back to the front fenders/headlight tomorrow after reading some threads to get advice form others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build!
    Can you give some info on that 3-up reservoir? I need a solution, and have not seen that one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    it is a Tilton reservoir that I bought from Summit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you pressure bleed that reservoir?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I did no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tempted to get it than. Looks nicer than the remote reservoir kit from replica parts. Only asked because I bought the fitting to pressure bleed that reservoir already.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2034.JPGIMG_2035.JPGIMG_2036.JPG

Ok after 14 hours I am finally happy with the headlight fit. Which for me was the most frustrating part of the build.
    I think I really would have gone nuts with out my buddy Kerry's help.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! I'm not looking forward to that part!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a pain to do headlight fitment. I hope you used Bob's method. I also mounted the front bottom of the bumper to the radiator mounting (black angled piece provided by FFR) with angled brackets instead of directly there (I don't even know if they recommend any mounting or not), but I recommend you secure it somehow. Mine moved around a lot on track without it and it was a little concerning structurally. I'm sure a splitter would help stiffen it up

Post Thanks / Like
    I did used Bob's method to get started which is really helpful. I was not concerned with being able to adjust the lights which allowed some freedom. I made aluminum mounts for the front end , I don't recall seeing the FFR brackets.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-25-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did used Bob's method to get started. I made aluminum mounts for the front end , I don't recall seeing the FFR brackets.
    Hey Mitch,
    Looks like a good fit.
    Just so you know, my headlights are aimed to low and angled.
    I'm going to retrofit some projectors so I can point the projectors level.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on the headlights, a real pain, I added some trim this weekend to avoid the headlight rubbing against the fiberglass bumper, this also evens out the gap
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob,
    My priority was the fit and very small even gaps and being able to adjust the lights was at the bottom of my list. I ended up cutting off the tap on top of the light and adding my own L bracket which gave a bunch a freedom to put the light were it fit best. I did have to do just a little bit of messaging on the fender and fascia for nice even gaps.

Tony, are back in the States?
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-25-2016 at 12:00 PM.

National Corvette Museum, Bowling Green, KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    The car was fun to see and hear running around the track!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear Mitch is going to have a track day for all 818Rs !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I have suggested to Dave Smith that we should look at doing a FFR Day at the track, Set up a Autocross in the paddock, a Trackcross or HPDE on track and car show.

Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob,
    My priority was the fit and very small even gaps and being able to adjust the lights was at the bottom of my list. I ended up cutting off the tap on top of the light and adding my own L bracket which gave a bunch a freedom to put the light were it fit best. I did have to do just a little bit of messaging on the fender and fascia for nice even gaps.

Tony, are back in the States?
    I cut those same top L brackets and made my own. It was a total pain with the molded brackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the front body work and finally happy with the results, even had it off and on a few times and went back on with the same end results.
    IMG_2068.JPG
    Next up radiator intake and exhust duct, front splitter and struts and belly pans and make the rear wing mount. And I am sure about 30 more 1o minute jobs that will need to be added to my work list.
    Still toying around with how I want to fasten both rear decks, I am not using the hinges on the on the back deck. I have a few ideas i need to sleep on.
    The project has gotten that much more fun now that I am getting so close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. More holes in the front!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast