BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Well, after a discussion on Chad's thread, I thought of starting a specific thread on the need for a dry sump in a 818R in full road race conditions.

It seems that the suby motor has oil issues in racing conditions. Blown motors seems to be a common occurrence. SO the question is what can be done to resolve the issue. The way I see it, there are 2 major solutions:

1- install a full dry sump system as Chad and Brando, and others, are doing. If performing as it should, this is the ultimate solution. The issues I see are the price, around $3500 when all set and done, and adding more weight, requiring more space and adding more potential maintenance issues.
    2- Accusump. I think an accusump could also be a solution if added to other parts like a killer B pan, pickup and baffle, upgraded oil pump and an oil cooler. cost would be about $1400

I know that some people probably think that they don't wanna take a chance and aim for the dry sump as the solution, but I'd like to see what other people think about doing. Not everybody as an extra $3500 laying around, and if a $1400 solution would work fine, it would be worth looking into.

Please don't just throw answers like, "racing is expensive", or "dry sump is the only way to go", without having actual argument for it, it doesn't help much.

Also, what is FFR doing on the blue or red Rs?
    Last edited by Doowop; 08-25-2014 at 12:09 AM.