BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OK, here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here we go!

By writing this, I think I’m committing myself. (Maybe I should be committed?) The whole idea of building a car has been simmering for a while, and it’s heated up considerably over the past few months. Enough background – let’s get to it. The goal: Al wants to build a roadster. The plan:
    1. Fall 2014: Research/prep work.
    2. Spring 2015: Build school, visit the factory, order kit.
    3. Summer 2015 thru 250 or however many hours later: build it.
    4. On or before Spring 2016: drive it.
    Additional detail:
    Mark IV Roadster, complete kit, Coyote 5.0.
    I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while, which has been extremely informative. I also read the D. Brian Smith book on building Cobras. Nevertheless, I have many questions, and probably a few I haven’t thought of yet. As part of my prep work, I’d love to connect personally with one or more current owners. I’m guessing there have to be a few in the Chicago area. (I’m in Wheaton, 25 miles due west of downtown.) Any takers?
    Next, something tells me that forum members have definite opinions. Here are some opportunities for you to share them (please?):
    1. Solid axle or IRS? (racing is not part of the plan)
    2. Will the fuel lines that come with the kit support a 400+ HP engine? (that one came from Smith’s book…)
    3. I want 17” wheels. Assuming the tires are “sticky” (i.e. extreme performance class tires), is there any benefit to wider wheels/tires on the rear?
    4. I’m 6 feet tall. Am I going to fit in this thing? (I need to try one…)
    5. Is power steering worth it or a waste in these cars?
    6. Can you register a car in Illinois without windshield wipers?
    7. This may be a question for the factory, but while I’m at it… what’s the best choice for rear brakes? The brakes listed as an option, or other?
    8. Is any particular transmission option better than the others for my engine choice?
    9. Hydraulic or cable clutch?
    I look forward to your feedback!

Al C.
    Wheaton, IL

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the madness. Hope you'll be able to realize your dream. I'm on my second Roadster build, and having a blast building and driving at the same time. You are right. Lots of opinions. It's your build. Listen to all the input and make your choices. The best advice I could give is to make a build plan. Start with exactly how you're going to use the car. Then thoughts about power, what engine you're considering, new or donor build, and of course budget. You've got time to find other builds in your area, and get some rides. Nothing better than to see and experience in person. I believe there are a number in the Chicago area.

I'll take a quick stab at your questions to get your started.

1. Widely debated. Short summary: IRS is considered the most comfortable ride. 3-link solid axle is a good performance choice. Look at these two and search. Lots of opinions. Best bet would be to find a ride in each and make your own opinion.
    2. Probably. But many when going over 400HP go to 3/8 inch fuel line.
    3. For 17 inch wheels, 315's are very popular and a good choice. No need to go any wider.
    4. Yes.
    5. You will get tons of opinions on this one. My first build was manual. My second is power. Care to guess my opinion?
    6. I don't know. Will need to be from someone in Illinois.
    7. Lots of choices. Depends on how you're going to use the car. For a street cruiser, the brakes supplied with the complete kit are fine. The sky's the limit.
    8. Generally, T-5Z for lower HP/torque (350 or so each) and TKO-500 or 600 for higher HP. These both are drop-ins.
    9. Another high opinion topic. The most recent cable setup Factory Five is using with the Wilwood pedal box appears to be a good choice. Before not so much. The Wilwood box is made for a hydraulic clutch, so it's relatively easy to add a slave and go hydraulic. I'm doing that with my latest build. But I wouldn't consider it mandatory.

Good luck sorting out the answers! Learn how to search here and on FFCars.com and you will be reading for awhile.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-26-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixed typos. It was late.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Edward! I agree with the build plan concept. For me, this is a street car, albeit a very fast street car. I read one post where the gentleman said he wanted the retro look, but with new technology. I agree with that sentiment completely. That said, I'm structuring my project around a complete kit (i.e. all parts new) and a Coyote (also new technology).

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You have a good timetable planned.
    Doug