Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: firewall between engine and fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

firewall between engine and fuel tank

Is anybody installing a firewall between the engine and fuel tank. I thought I saw mechie do one but when I skimmed thru his build thread I didn't see anything unless I missed it. I was thinking it is a good idea to keep junk from gathering up in that area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying FFR does not provide alu panels to rivet on the frame between the engine and fuel tank?
    I have not looked at that at all yet, cuz to me it was simple logic to have one.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Wallace did the firewall n his first car.
    3392513%20008b.jpg
    But it is not part of FFR design.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I think most of us did some sort of firewall:

There are a lot of things on this car that you would think would have been logical, like seat belt mounting points to name just one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the manual and it seems the fuel tank is exposed to the engine side. No FW. Unbelievable. Why did I see this just now.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it "unbelievable? Look underneath your car, it's visible from the ground. Most production cars have the exhaust pipes and muffler tucked right under the tank. Think about it, the panel is called a firewall and is installed between the tank and passengers to provide a firewall.

What is your concern?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not concerned about heat. More about impact. Most cars if not almost all have something between the fuel tank and engine so in case of an impact it would need a bigger impact for the engine to reach the tank. Maybe I am being paranoiac here, but I have always been with people who privileged a lot of safety around the fuel tank, lines and etc., especially we don't have a bumper on the 818. It's not a problem, I can build a FW easily, I just didn't think FFR would designed it that way, but then again there are many things they designed in a way most of us never thought, so we work around it, no issue, just impressed based on what I've always been living with.

EDIT: I also don't think I can register the car without a FW between the tank and engine. I have to double check, but I will build one anyway.
    Last edited by Frank818; 08-31-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a sheet of 1/8" aluminum between the engine and tank - just the lower part (10" X 36"). Gives me a little extra protection and still allows full access for all the wiring, fuel hoses and e-brake cables. I used riv nuts instead of rivets for my two piece FFR supplied firewall for easier removal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a firewall between the engine and the fuel tank for looks, not safety. I put it in after installing the engine, which was not smart. Do it before mounting your engine, but try to make it removable just in case. Mine has 3 triangles fastened with #10 rivnuts so I can remove sections. Now inside the firewall is the ECU, relays and wires - all protected from water - and it is insulated for sound control. Actually, to reach the wiring it will be easier to remove the seats, then the upper firewall on the cockpit side.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I started working on the firewall today. I bought a big sheet of aluminum and am cutting it into 4 panels like Bob's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank I was looking at a firewall more to keep road debris from getting up in there then for impact protection.
    Thx for the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a lower firewall that is riveted on. The upper firewall will be bolted in place.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Frank I was looking at a firewall more to keep road debris from getting up in there then for impact protection.
    Thx for the pics.
    Good point, I didn't think about that one.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think if impact is your concern, then instead of 1/8" aluminum you would use steel plate of some type. Perhaps, an alloy of some sort. Alternatively, perhaps a CSK panel, if the material is available on the open market.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have almost finished the install of my rear engine firewall, the design is in 3 pieces and is removable from the tank/seating area, it's 1/8 aluminum with tinsel strength greater than 1/8 steel, but the stretch factor is not as great as steel. I used plate nuts to install the firewall instead of rivnuts

WP_20140831_003.jpg WP_20140831_0041.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also riveted an Al panel on just the lower 10", since I don't anticipate removing this piece. I also insulated it, this may be overkill for thermal (since the manifold has a heat shield) but it can't hurt, and should prevent most road crap from getting into the tank area. I'm debating on putting an upper FW in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a FW in 2 pc with rivnuts that can be removed with the engine in, as well as side pieces permanently riveted in.
    If I need extra space in front of the engine to do some work..... I can remove the panels for extra space. Hopefully won't ever need to.....

My reasoning was also to keep the dirt and debris out, add noise reduction and impact protection.

Removable sections. Cleko'd in place before drilling for rivnuts.
    I used a piece of 1/8 - 1/4 in aircraft aluminum. Stronger than steel.
    DSCF4600.jpg

Here it is with the thermal layer in place
    DSCF4623.jpg

And attaching the last side pieces which will be riveted. I still have enough space for ebrake cables and fuel lines.
    DSCF4630.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Your thermal layer looks a lot like Eastwood's, but it's not, right?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    A piece of card board should do the trick! Jk. but the only reason I would put one is so if any of the wires come loose they won't go into the alternator belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on the inside, behind the tank. I used light gauge aluminum. My thought is appearance, debris, and heat deflection. I may add some material to the back side.

Firewall.JPG

If I need to move it to the backside of the cage for any reason, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thall818 View Post
    I used light gauge aluminum.
    1/8"?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I used 19 gauge. It's the same stuff the interior panels are made of. Essentially I purchased more than I need when I cut my new panels inside for the Boyd tank mod. I just figured if I screwed up, I didn't want to go buy more. Well, the panels were good and I was staring at a 4' x 4' piece of aluminum, so I figured I would enhance the look of the engine compartment.

The bad news is that it doesn't add any impact protection. The good news is that it doesn't add much weight. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Your thermal layer looks a lot like Eastwood's, but it's not, right?
    Its called Cool it - thermotech.
    found it on amazon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thought i would post a few pics of my firewall before i put the motor in and cover up all the work this will be the third and hopefully final time the motor goes in before i gocart it. the small canister on the left is my fuel filter. i plan on running all fuel lines through that side. the empty holes are for grommets and parking/shifter lines. the only item i am unsure of location now is the vap can, i think i am doing a homeade pvc one similar to one i have seen in a mk thread.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

The scotchbrite pad on a drill trick i saw in another thread added a nice touch to spruce it up from plain alluminum finish.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh No! Doug, you made a removable firewall with triangles that is just like mine . . . but much better! Now my black powder coated panels look boring. Please don't drive your 818 to Arizona, okay?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Oh No! Doug, you made a removable firewall with triangles that is just like mine . . . but much better! Now my black powder coated panels look boring. Please don't drive your 818 to Arizona, okay?
    ha..powder coat would be nice, more durable. i took the easy way out. actually i wish i was driving to AZ....... its going to be a whopping 13 degrees tomorrow here. at least you can drive yours all year round, my season will be about 6 months or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same design, but with rattle can paint instead of the gorgeous turned aluminum. Very nice job!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow this is kind of an old thread but useful info to new builders. Hopefully I can get a response
    I plan on doing an added "firewall" panel as well. My question is: any of you folks that put it on the engine side, did it significantly impact later assembly like coolant lines, general access etc.?
    Thanks for any additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    Wow this is kind of an old thread but useful info to new builders. Hopefully I can get a response
    I plan on doing an added "firewall" panel as well. My question is: any of you folks that put it on the engine side, did it significantly impact later assembly like coolant lines, general access etc.?
    Thanks for any additional info
    Putting a firewall on the engine side of the frame only really impacts the shifter, assuming you're not using the 18' long cables FFR provides. All coolant lines pass through the "sidesails" (aka rocker panels) and don't have to go through the firewall.

31. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to have one section removable, at least at first, to route cables, etc.
    My question really is about; is there any harm in losing that 1-1/2" in front of the engine. Maybe a small point, but I've had occasion that I would give a lot for another inch to fit a hand in. I guess there's not much you need to get to in that area after its all assembled?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    I plan to have one section removable, at least at first, to route cables, etc.
    My question really is about; is there any harm in losing that 1-1/2" in front of the engine. Maybe a small point, but I've had occasion that I would give a lot for another inch to fit a hand in. I guess there's not much you need to get to in that area after its all assembled?
    I have no direct experience yet but believe a timing belt change is going to require pulling the engine regardless. Others may have a different opinion. I had enough trouble replacing the timing belt with the engine on a hoist that I would never want to try to tackle it in the car.

34. Thanks driveslikejehu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my firewall afer 2 years of running. I have 3 removable panels from the cockpit side, after I remove the seats. Never had a need to do that. Only routine maintenance on the front of the engine is adjusting belt tension. That is pretty easy with the limited access. Like Fletch (Brian) said. To do a timing belt change you need to yank the engine. With the removable top engine covers and rear bumper, pulling the enging isn't that hard. I don't know how tough it is to remove the roof on an 818C.
    Bob

fw.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

36. Thanks driveslikejehu thanked for this post