BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oklahoma MK4 Daily Driver - need input

Post Thanks / Like

Oklahoma MK4 Daily Driver - need input

Greetings All,

I'm beginnning my research for building a Mk4 as a daily driver and trip machine for my wife and I and was wondering is there was a gathering of Factory Five cars we could go to and visit with you all. My concept is a 302, fuel injected, Automatic Trans, AC, Heat, wipers, Independant Rear Suspension, half way decent gas mileage, no low profile tires and comfortable seats. We are both 60 something and are concerned that a standard in Tulsa traffic would not be fun.

Also, are there any Challenge Car events at Hallet?

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say...

Best regards,

Doug

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Doug,

You didn't say where you reside. Wanting a heater, I'd say not in AZ (ha)! There are some active groups so that depends a lot.
    Regarding the comfort for DD and trips we also need more info. How big are you and your wife. If you have big feet, there are a couple of mods you can do to help spread out those boats, yes, even on a MKIV. With the MKIV you have fewer issues with foot room though. If your lady is long legged then you might consider the extension of the passenger footbox. If you are on a long trip that might be significant. For it to truly be a DD and for long trips, you need a soft top and wipers and probably AC and defrost. Also, for comfort you can get a modern tire that still has enough side wall to give a comfortable ride. I really like the 9x17 wheels or 9x17/10.5x17 in rear. Getting a comfortable seat would go a long way for those extended cruises. I like the FFR short seats but a fuller more padded leather seat would be great if you were going to be in it for 10 to 15 thousand miles per year.

There are so many engine platforms to choose from. The automatic would be great if you could do paddle shifters but that may not be your thing. Whatever you get from 275 to 500 hp, it's going to be faster than most things you've driven. I find the automatic the most intriguing as it would allow for some awesome highway cruising if you had a modern say six speed! It's doable I'm sure. Some of the originals had automatics. I've seen two in person. I have not seen but one replica with an automatic and it was a drag strip monster (comfort not a consideration!).

I'm 6' and 210 with 11 1/2 shoe size so even though larger people find ways to fit themselves into these roadsters, it does require a little nip and tuck at some critical areas depending where you are more extreme. I fit in mine like it was built for me (Oh yeah! it was).

Good luck and happy building,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure there are cars closer to Tulsa but there will be a get together in Harrison AR next month.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Tulsa. My wife and I are both about 5'8" and my feet are not to o big, 9 1/2 I think. I origainlly thought about paddle shifters as adding a lot of fun factor to the automatic but wondered if it would add too much cost and complexity. But then again...I might as well go for what is going to work for us. We don't paln on being in the car for hours on end when we travel. The last trip we took was in 2008 and that when we decided to make long trip in short segments.

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the Coyote 5.0 but is that too much HP for a daily driver? What ever engine we end up with, reliablilty and low maintenence is a big factor. And decent gas mileage, at least on the highway. Foot box vents, hidden audio, duel roll bars, cruise, heat, air, hard top and soft top. Does anyone make a hard top that comes apart in two pieces so it will store in the trunk? But I'm most concerned about the ride. That's why I want to meet owner and see their cars and get their feed back. There are some rough spots here in town that are just wicked.

So when and where is the event is Harrison? It's only about 182 miles away from us.

So what can you tell me about Levy Racing?

Thanks for the info!

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I didn’t attend the get together I crossed paths with a slither as it entered Arkansas last year. They has some nice cars in attendence. The roads around here were made for bikes and sports cars.

This year it's 10/23-10/26.

Post Thanks / Like
    So does anyone have any more info about the Harrison Arkansas event? Are there any other cobra gatherings in Oklahoma, Southern Missouri, or Southern Kansas? I went to the Tuesday night car show are Fudruckers here in Tulsa on 71st Street, but no FFRs. Or any Factory Fives. The weather is still nice so I will try again there. Is any one planning to go to London Ohio in June?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend a serious look at the Coyote, I'm building a 33 with an AODE 4R70W from Performance Automatic with a Lokar shifter. The crate motor was purchased for $6,200 the electronic pack was $1,850. I have a 2013 Boss 302 Mustang that has really sold me on how smooth, streetable and powerfull it is. I thrash the Mustang at track events, it has been tuned at Hennesey (494hp) without a blower, just long tube headers, cats and cold air intake. I don't think there is a better value or a more durable engine. I regularly use the rev limiter as my marker coming into a corner (7500 rpm). Being a former motorcycle mechanic for Yamaha, Suzuki and BMW, pushrods and rockers have lost their shine for me.