Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ST-3 engine and transmisson?

Post Thanks / Like

ST-3 engine and transmisson?

Hello to all. I am very interested in the 818R. I have built and driven circle track stock cars off and on for the last 40 years. My engine background is the small block Chevrolet. The Subaru is sort of new to me. I had a business through which I built long travel (mostly LS powered) sand rails. I'm familiar with the Subaru engine through that involvement, but never built a rail around one. I understand that they are pretty strong and durable, that's about it.

My thought is to start in ST-3. It seems like the best place to "get my feet wet". I would appreciate recommendations on the best engine/transmission combo for that class.

Also, is anyone on the forum going to run at the Sonoma West Coast Nationals in November with an 818R? If so, I would really appreciate the opportunity to talk a bit. I am going to attend the Buttonwillow NASA race in October also.

Thanks,

Mike Allen
    Acton, California
    Last edited by Dirtbos; 09-10-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm trying to stay within the 8:1 or 10:1 ratio, so I chose a JDM EJ207 engine with JDM 5sp. I chose the JDM engine because the engine has forged internals, stock ECU, will redline @ 8500 and will give me about 280-290hp w/o any mods, I'm looking for reliability on the track. The JDM 5sp has a 4.11 final ratio and has better gears than the USDM WRX transmissions. So this should get me into ST-2, ITE, SPM and some other regional classes and be competitive

I hope we get folks to fall into a spec 818 class (8:1 with 8" rims)
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-10-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    ....................I hope we get folks to fall into a spec 818 class (8:1 with 8" rims)
    Thank you for the input. It would make sense for me to build to a class where the participation is the highest. Your engine and transmission choice sounds like a good way to go.