Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interior Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Aluminum

So after finding out that I did not get a console, I stated looking for other interior aluminum.

The only interior aluminum I got was the following:

1) 2 pieces that cover the cooling pipes (dead pedal), have pieces for each side
    2) seatbelt spool covers for the side (little triangles) but none of the cockpit side rear/front
    3) tunnel cover
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-25-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    wow I got most of the pieces. bummer.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was missing the seat bottom aluminum. Called FFR and they sent it right out. Shipping must have been a ***** for that big 'ol box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird- When you buy an R you get all the "S" stuff you cant use, unless it is the S stuff you want to make templates from.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Weird- When you buy an R you get all the "S" stuff you cant use, unless it is the S stuff you want to make templates from.
    I was told this morning that the R has NO interior aluminum and thus I did not not get any, they even verified this by going out in the shop and looking at the R they have.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I was told this morning that the R has NO interior aluminum and thus I did not not get any, they even verified this by going out in the shop and looking at the R they have.
    Did you get an R with their "new" outside aluminum side panels? (where your side intrusion plates go). If you did get those side pieces, I can see why they would not send you the interior ones the early R guys got. With side intrusion plates, you really do not need them.

I'm not using the interior rear side pieces on either side (near the seats- too sharp and useless- Plus I bent the firewall an additional 10 degrees so they wont fit. I'm just going to use scrap to close it off.).
    I only used the deadpedal and associated aluminum on each side.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Did you get an R with their "new" outside aluminum side panels? (where your side intrusion plates go).
    Yes I did and I will use those on the inside (I have to modify now that I have exterior intrusion panels. My issue is that I don't want anything exposed or places my feet, arms, legs, etc. can get stuck so I'm trying to cover up as much as I can. My major gripe is trying to understand what comes with an R, what am I to expect so I can plan and not run into these delays trying to figure if I'm missing something, I have to make something or I'm just stupid and don't understand.

All you folks have been very helpful on this forum as I would not have been able to get as far as I have without you all.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that there is no consistency about what you get. They might use a set of Dice to see who gets what.. My kit is crated and ready to be picked up... We'll see what's on it..... Like I remember seeing a post saying that the R came with a race seat and someone (I don't remember who) got a credit for the seat as they didn't want it. I sent a email to FFR and they told me it di not come with a seat..... So we pay $1K to have basically a couple more tubes welded on the cage, and a bunch of stuff that are not coming with it as it is a "race car" and weight is an issue? Aluminum panels are so heavy.... At least if they don't wanna supply custom R parts, they could send a couple aluminum sheets...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With the R you get the extra tubing/welding, Red R shocks, Plexi windscreen

You do not get carpet, console, interior sheet metal, door cards, windshield surround/windshield

is it a wash? not sure, welding takes time.

I was able to use the underseat piece to make the seatbelt covers and the rest of the footbox pieces. (minus the intrusion prevention) I will have to order a new 21x50.125 piece for under the seats

Post Thanks / Like
    I must have hit the jackpot! I got all the S aluminum, and the two outside side pieces for the R.
    John Huft -- #154 R

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    can you elaborate on outside side pieces? pictures, part numbers etc?

if they have a laser cut anti intrustion panel, it may be worth taking the drive up to ffr to get two and a new underseat pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    can you elaborate on outside side pieces? pictures, part numbers etc?

if they have a laser cut anti intrustion panel, it may be worth taking the drive up to ffr to get two and a new underseat pan.
    I had driver and passengers intrusion floor and side panels that were laser cut from 1/8 steel (since it has higher tensile strength than any aluminum I could find here in aircraft land). Pictures are in my build thread
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony I think he was asking if FFR was now supplying anti-intrusion panels. I don't think they are or plan to - they're not offering any for the Challenge cars after all these years are they?

At any rate, I'm surprised that you say you couldn't find an appropriate aluminum in "aircraft land." I could use further education, but I looked up what Chad used and it specs out as follows:

1/8" thick 7075 aerospace grade aluminum with T7 temper has an ultimate tensile strength of 73,200 psi (505 MPa) and a yield strength of 63,100 psi (435 MPa). It has a failure elongation of 13% vs. simillar tensile & yield values for T6 temper (but which has only 5–11% elongation). This is roughly comparable in strength to many mild steels (superior to some).

The 7075 is much lighter than steel, so I was seriously considering this (along with some impact foam encased in a Kevlar/Carbon shell). I know you can get stronger 1/8" steel, but I suspect many folks are using steels that have no higher tensile strength than the 7075. Am I missing something? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    The SCCA, in the GCRs, specs anti intrusion panels to be .060" heat treated aluminum (as in 6061-T6) or various compost options. Are NASA requirements tougher, or are your personal requirements higher?
    John Huft -- #154 R

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    The 7075 is much lighter than steel, so I was seriously considering this (along with some impact foam encased in a Kevlar/Carbon shell).
    Santiago,
    I have been looking for a source for impact foam.
    I know nascar uses Dow Chemical Impaxx 700. But I have found a place that sells it.
    Are you using something else, and where do you buy it?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Santiago,
    I have been looking for a source for impact foam.
    I know nascar uses Dow Chemical Impaxx 700. But I have found a place that sells it.
    Are you using something else, and where do you buy it?
    Bob
    Make sure to get the non flammable kind.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Tony I think he was asking if FFR was now supplying anti-intrusion panels. I don't think they are or plan to - they're not offering any for the Challenge cars after all these years are they?

At any rate, I'm surprised that you say you couldn't find an appropriate aluminum in "aircraft land." I could use further education, but I looked up what Chad used and it specs out as follows:

1/8" thick 7075 aerospace grade aluminum with T7 temper has an ultimate tensile strength of 73,200 psi (505 MPa) and a yield strength of 63,100 psi (435 MPa). It has a failure elongation of 13% vs. simillar tensile & yield values for T6 temper (but which has only 5–11% elongation). This is roughly comparable in strength to many mild steels (superior to some).

The 7075 is much lighter than steel, so I was seriously considering this (along with some impact foam encased in a Kevlar/Carbon shell). I know you can get stronger 1/8" steel, but I suspect many folks are using steels that have no higher tensile strength than the 7075. Am I missing something? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Best,
    -j
    Correct, FFR does not supply any for any of their cars. I use 1018 mild steel over 7075 because of its strength and elasticity, granted the strength is not much greater than 7075 but 7075 is more brittle and less elasticity and that is something I want when I get t-boned.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my interior aluminum today, worked out pretty good, now I can mount the dead pedal

WP_20141012_0011.jpg WP_20141012_003.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only casually looked at the Impaxx foam, so I haven't sourced a supplier. One thing that concerns me is that I've heard it is designed to work in two stages (like dual-density foam roll bar padding). That is, you're supposed to stack two different densities (softer on outside) so that the compression forces are better absorbed (more gradual I guess?). I honestly don't know if this is an strict requirement for this stuff. At any rate, I also heard (...I really need to remember what other forums I'm reading...) that it needs to be pretty thick, something in the order of 8" or so. If I go with this, these are the sorts of questions I'll ask first, esp. since I'm not sure we have 8" of space in the door cavity.

I did have this other idea though, and I might as well throw it out there. What do ya'll think about using an OEM foam bumper beam secured to the face of the anti-intrusion panel? I thought I might stack two rows of bumper foam and wrap it fiberglass or carbon to keep it from just sliding out of place if it takes a hit (the OEM stuff usually sits in channels it's formed around, so they only seem to need simple plastic plugs to keep it in place). Seems like it's already made for impact distribution and all we need is a proper mounting strategy. You just need ones with relatively flat backs (as opposed to deeply contoured). I think even with 2-beams per side it would come out cheaper than the Impaxx foam. Thoughts?

Best,
    -j
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-13-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like it's already made for impact distribution and all we need is a proper mounting strategy. You just need ones with relatively flat backs (as opposed to deeply contoured). I think even with 2-beams per side it would come out cheaper than the Impaxx foam. Thoughts?

Best,
    -j
    The reason I use anti-intrusion panel is to help distribute the impact (so its not just 1 particular bar that is being hit) when hit and to prevent anything from coming in on the side of me. I have been hit at about 60-70 mph in the drivers door of my challenge car, the anti-intrusion panel worked as designed no cage damage and nothing came through the panel, the PRO3 car that hit me had to have the entire front clip replaced. I had body and rear axle damage and was back out on track the following weekend. I will have to look at the bumper idea and see how that would play out as seems that would also absorb some of the impact on the anti-intrusion panel
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress