FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood 6-piston vs 4-piston

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run the challenge series and a couple of other leagues and I run carbotec xp10 pads all the way around and have no issues with usage. These pad last me an entire season of practice, qualifying and racing, so I run about 20 to 25 races and some are very demanding tracks. I plan to run caebotec on my 818R also
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I think when I say "braking performance" I'm referring mostly to what Rasmus defined as "race abuse". I could certainly lock up the wheels with the fox-body brakes on my roadster, but the big Wilwoods were just easier to control and felt exactly the same lap after lap on the track. I don't want to get the 4-piston set-up, then a year down the road find myself on a bigger track where the 6-piston might offer better fade-resistance.

Would you guys expect more race miles out of a larger pad vs a smaller pad, controlling for brand/compound and race conditions? The additional cost of the larger 6-piston setup could be a wash if you get longer life out of the pads/rotors.

There's also the not-to-be-overlooked detail of wheel options, and I wonder if this might be why FFR chose the smaller Wilwood package for the red car.
    Last edited by Zach34; 10-03-2014 at 10:58 AM.