FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R Roll Bar

Post Thanks / Like

818R Roll Bar

I saw in interesting picture today of the blue/white 818R with a little hoop above the driver.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I saw in interesting picture today of the blue/white 818R with a little hoop above the driver.
    Bob
    Not sure why this was done but if it was done because the drivers head was not below the roll bar then this would not pass most race orgs as "The main hoop (behind the driver) must be the full width of the cockpit for all cars. It must be one continuous length of tubing with smooth bends and no evidence of crimping or wall failure. The main hoop must maintain a single plane."
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised I missed that...

I think Blue #5 has an older bar design. The same set of pics also show the newer red mule, and it's bar looks decidedly taller:

Red%u00252BMule%u00252B1.jpg

Red%u00252BMule%u00252B2.jpg

At any rate, I agree, that doesn't look like it would pass tech. The only way I see it doing so is if the main hoop does pass in terms of driver clearance and they treated the extra bump as a builder preference for their own level of safety, in which case they may ignore the (non-tech req.) preference of the builder. Maybe.

I still think FFR knows folks in the tech shed. =)

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys, the older #5 blue car is still the original prototype chassis from a while back. the height of the roll bar on the red car is production. we added the little hoop bar just so Dave could race the blue car at VIR this last weekend.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Blue car being the prototype has a lower main hoop than the production chassis (like the red one). Our usual driver John still clears that bar but since he was driving the red car now and we are putting other drivers in this car we added the hoop. It is legal like that because we are running the car in HPDE and occasionaly TT but not in the race group. The Red car has a NASA log book for wheel to wheel and is the car we will be using more going forward for testing purposes.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe and Jim, I noticed that the red car has the passenger side cross bar. Some folks had asked for this as an option but were told it isn't on the production chassis.

Also, in the VIR video posted recently it looks like the red car also has an additional brace from the point that the additional passenger bar meets the door bar to some point in the forward chassis. Were (or are) these extra braces deemed unnecessary, precautionary, or for testing purposes? Curious to know what the current state of chassis development is on the car.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage