Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holley sniper reviews and edelbrock pro flo reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Holley sniper reviews and edelbrock pro flo reviews

Good morning everyone,

I'm in final touches of ordering my 427 however I'm stuck between the holley sniper with their hyperspark or the edelbrock pro flo 4 set up.

Benefits of the edelbrock is that it comes with the intank manifold, distributors and its multi point injections along with the fuel rails and injectors. Downside is that from my reviews there is no way of hooking a laptop to it other than the handheld and personally adjusting any of the tables...that the only option is the tablet or phone.

Holley benefit is simpler set up and less wiring, software for laptop adjustability is available with plenty of you tube and books, however obvious downside is its throttlebody inkedtioni.

If anybody has personal experience between the two please share. Thanks

Nick
    FFR Roadster: Received 11/18/19: BluePrint 427w, TKO600, Glenn's performance fuel system, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Sniper XFlow and many more

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nick, I'll offer up my 2cents on this. I have a '79 Trans-Am that started out life with the Pontiac 400 and a 4 speed. I've been modifying it for years and now it is bored and stroked to 462 Cubic inches and is mated to a T-56 6 Speed. With the stock Q-jet it produced 495 HP and 563 FT-LBS at the crank. I drove it this way for several years but always wanted to upgrade to EFI. My first attempt was the Edelbrock E-street throttle body EFI unit. To be honest, I was never really satisfied, it was hard to start, seemed to run overly rich and in general never ran much better than the Q-jet. Then a few years ago Edelbrock dropped their price on the Pro flo 3 systems. I switched over and it made a very big difference, starts way easier, runs smoother and is just a better system in my opinion. I think it is telling that Edelbrock completely dropped the throttle body style EFI systems.

I know this not an apples to apples comparison, but my vote is for the multi point EFI over the throttle body style.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot speak to the current Edelbrock Pro Flo system.

It was a definite advantage to me to be able to download datalogs and tune programs to the lap top. That allowed me to analyze what was happening, what changes I wanted to make, and send the data to the Holley Tech Support people.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    I cannot speak to the current Edelbrock Pro Flo system.

It was a definite advantage to me to be able to download datalogs and tune programs to the lap top. That allowed me to analyze what was happening, what changes I wanted to make, and send the data to the Holley Tech Support people.

Bob
    this is the only reason that i am still contemplating the holley system. making fine tune adjustments to the different a/f, timing, acceleration and data logging is a big advantage which is not offered in the edelbrock set up.
    FFR Roadster: Received 11/18/19: BluePrint 427w, TKO600, Glenn's performance fuel system, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Sniper XFlow and many more

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the Edelbrock Pro Flo IV system just now. Conceptually, I like the injectors in the manifold(don't know if it is quantitatively more advantageous).

For the Holley Sniper, the laptop access provides the following. Below is a picture of the base timing table for my car (coupe, 331 SBF). I have left the file large so you can see the numbers because they were important. RPM is along the horizontal axis.

Below is a picture of the base timing table after I adjusted the values. Again RPM is on the horizontal axis. I modified the timing values AND I modified the RPM steps between 1000-3000 so that the tune was more sensitive in that RPM range.

This made a huge difference in performance. The laptop helped to analyse the issues here. I don't quite know how you would do that with a handheld.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    I looked at the Edelbrock Pro Flo IV system just now. Conceptually, I like the injectors in the manifold(don't know if it is quantitatively more advantageous).

For the Holley Sniper, the laptop access provides the following. Below is a picture of the base timing table for my car (coupe, 331 SBF). I have left the file large so you can see the numbers because they were important. RPM is along the horizontal axis.

Below is a picture of the base timing table after I adjusted the values. Again RPM is on the horizontal axis. I modified the timing values AND I modified the RPM steps between 1000-3000 so that the tune was more sensitive in that RPM range.

This made a huge difference in performance. The laptop helped to analyse the issues here. I don't quite know how you would do that with a handheld.

Bob

Thanks, I ended up doing the best of both worlds. I really liked the fact with holley you have the ability to manipulate and change the tables as you show but wanted MPI, so I decided on the Holley Terminator X and will be assembly a victor jr EFI intake. Thanks

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Edelbrock. I have tuned the older Pro Flo 2 and did it all with my Laptop. I am pretty sure you can still do it that way, going into the tables.
    Last edited by wbulk; 05-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.