T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Great color choices! You’ve done well!
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad news, just got word from the Maryland Inspection station, the Inspection Supervisor said that I need self cancelling turn signals and windshield wipers....and the wipers cannot be manual. What a kick in the sack.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, was this at the DMV or a local shop conducting the registration inspection?
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to install the signal dynamics self cancel turn signal module, it was pretty easy. Removed the turn signal relay and made a jumper for constant power, then removed my existing turn signal switch and replaced with a momentary spring to center toggle switch and connected signal dynamics module just on the backside of switch, works great just as advertised.

Next I installed the windshield wipers, yes they are ugly but hopefully they will allow me to pass inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is looking great David. Sounds like your getting the shiv per inspection. I did the same route as you in regards to the wipers. Pricey little suckers but it got me past the goal line. I went thru great lengths to mount the wipers (I only needed one) to switched power, inspector never even turned the unit on. Grrrrrrr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colors look great David. Makes me rethink what I'm looking to do. Good luck with the inspection. We lived in Maryland for about a year before returning to Florida. I don't miss the inspection thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they going to require you to have 4 way hazard flashers? If so shoot me a message and I'll tell you how to do it when using a single on/off/on momentary toggle like you have.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is looking great David. Sounds like your getting the shiv per inspection. I did the same route as you in regards to the wipers. Pricey little suckers but it got me past the goal line. I went thru great lengths to mount the wipers (I only needed one) to switched power, inspector never even turned the unit on. Grrrrrrr.
    Thanks, yeah the hoops we have to jump through. Bad thing is I had it inspected on May 1st when I got my temp tag, they didn't process it until the 18th and didn't tell me I needed wipers or auto cancel turn signals until the 22nd after bugging them the entire time. I ordered the parts and went to Florida for a week... rained the entire time, got back did the installation and now I need to put it in a trailer and take it back for re-inspection because of my expired tags. Fun, fun, fun.

Colors look great David. Makes me rethink what I'm looking to do. Good luck with the inspection. We lived in Maryland for about a year before returning to Florida. I don't miss the inspection thing.
    Thanks, the color decision was made by selecting only from Ford colors so that limited it for me a little.

Are they going to require you to have 4 way hazard flashers? If so shoot me a message and I'll tell you how to do it when using a single on/off/on momentary toggle like you have.
    No hazards per the conversation with the inspector, but I guess anything can happen. I get it re-inspected later today and I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    PASSED INSPECTION !

Here I come, almost graduation time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    David-

That's awesome news! Gotta love MD.

I look forward to your graduation thread! Your car looks terrific, and I hope to see lots of pictures soon.

Glad the headache is over, and you will be able to enjoy the entire driving season!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations.

Now if it will only stop raining on the weekends. This is the 10th or 11th rainy weekend in the Annapolis area.

Post Thanks / Like
    David - very nice work, beautiful car (love the color combo)! That will be a blast to drive on the Eastern Shore.

My 818 is getting dragged up to the "Skook" this weekend or next in preparation for our move back to PA.
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well its been a while since I updated my build mostly because I've been having so much fun driving. I finally got exempt from emissions after a couple of visits to the VEIP station, so now I feel better.

I got the Dark Water Custom door trim and massaged it to fit but really didn't like how it looked so I just used the FFR supplied trim for the opening and it did help cover up the unpleasant view near the door latch. Installed Herbs door panels too.

I got the Everson radiator panel and horribly failed installing it, I got it stuck and ended up ruining it getting it out. Bent some radiator fins in the process, straightened them out as much as I could. I ended up just making the radiator panels just like I did with the splash guards.

I installed the Breeze top radiator panel, its nice and come powder coated black. Unfortunately I was in a rush during installation and half way through I realized I forgot to install the weather strip edging so I decided to install it after it was installed. During the installation of the weatherstripping I pinched my hand between the body and the radiator panel so I pulled it out fast and got a fiberglass splinter through my fingernail into the tip of my finger. It was embarrassing having to get it removed by an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a new shifter knob and boot too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw, no pics of the fiberglass splinter thru the finger nail?

My brother bought me the same shift knob. I let him contribute something to the car and that's what the Boss is now sporting.

Looking good, man... down the home stretch!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Hmmm.... Mirror image... or evil twin?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Very nice ... and encouraging. I am still in the Slick Sand phase ... this motivates me to get out there and do more sanding.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Hmmm.... Mirror image... or evil twin?
    Ha, we are brothers !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    David,

Very nice ... and encouraging. I am still in the Slick Sand phase ... this motivates me to get out there and do more sanding.

Carl
    Thanks. You will definitely have a huge sense of accomplishment once done, especially since you are doing the body work/paint... My hats off to you sir. Now get that bad boy done, you can sleep later!

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the Boig Motorsports quiet pipes and laid them out next to the FFR stainless. I think the bends in the pipes are a little different and the quiet pipes are a little longer. I got the silver ceramic coating and it seems to match the FFR headers that have the ceramic coat. There is a dent in the top of the passenger side pipe and both have rust between the 4 pipes right out of the box. I'm going to live with these flaws and move on, I just don't have the time or patience to deal with vendors these days to make things right. I'll get some noise reading with a dosimeter I got from Amazon to compare the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Resurrecting this build thread even though the "build" was finished prior to realizing the exhaust is very loud and getting the Boig pipes. I should probably do the graduation thing and get some good pics for the contest of the month...anyway. I ended up not using the Boig pipes and sold them. Still using the FFR stainless exhaust and using ear plugs.

I had a problem with my rear axle leaking again, first the pinion seal leaked when I filled it up with fluid for the first time now the drivers side seal leaked at 2,500 miles. Installed new axle bearing and seals took care of the leaks.

My brake fluid reservoir had fluid coming out of the top hole of the lid after 2,000 miles. I didn't notice it coming out of my clutch fluid reservoir. Everyone was telling me I had air in the brake system. I bleed the brakes a bunch of times, got the Mityvac and the Motive pressure bleeder and still fluid would come out of the lid hole. Then my brake pedal started to push to the floor on occasion, very irregular so I was told again air in the system caused that. I just couldn't get the air out of the system so I switched the brake reservoir to one that had a diaphragm and still had the same problem. After a bunch of searching on the internet I realized it could be a bad brake master cylinder so I replaced both front and back brake master cylinders. Not the most pleasant thing to accomplish working on a finished car through the small hole on the top of the drivers side foot box but its done. Turned out it was a bad front master cylinder, no fluid leaks, the seals inside the cylinder went bad.

I got the brakes back to working and that felt great, got the monkey off my back. I wanted a new start, I changed the engine oil, filter and went to put fresh fluid in the rear differential so I took the diff cover off and noticed the carrier shims on the drivers side walking out....WTF. So I had to take care of that. I never really acknowledged how bad rear diff oil smells and how it can get into your skin and stay for awhile. Its all fixed now and everything is cleaned up but every once in a while I think I get a whiff of that diff oil. I think I've had enough problem with this Forte rear, not that its his fault but wow...I only have 3,000 miles on the car. Should have bought the Moser, new rear but I had to save money in the beginning....haha.

I need to do some small paint correction on the body next to the brake reservoirs, yup I got brake fluid on it and fowled up the clear coat. Its always something...

Here are some pictures during my finding and solving problems. I never really kept a good build log like others but what little I have its nice to look back on. I'm very grateful to FFR for providing this product, its given me a lot of fulfilling, frustrating, and humbling experiences I will never forget. I enjoy sharing it with my son who was only 3 years old when I got the kit, he has grown learning to appreciate that car, we have had some fun times at car shows. I must admit he has only gone to 2 shows, its a long day for a kid that little but hey we received trophies on those 2 days so he is my good luck charm.

I've learned how to operate my GoPro so I'm going to try and post some fun videos too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaking lid of FFR brake fluid reservoir, no diaphragm. Bad master cylinder caused this.

Got these from FFR nice new with diaphragms, welded tabs to replace my reservoirs that don't have diaphragms. My weld caused the seam to fail and leak. I bought 2 new ones and am going to sell them. I decided to use different type of reservoir.

Here's the new reservoir decided to go with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention, I installed the grills from Breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cars & Coffee at Annapolis City Docks is awesome!

27. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got caught in my first and so far only rain storm, it rained buckets for about 15 minutes. A car behind me crashed into the median, was a scary day then the sun cam out and everything was dry.

29. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had to change my battery cable, the 4 gauge wire FFR supplied caused hesitation in starting, took me a while to figure that out. My starter had requirements for wire size and length so I upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was very unpleasant changing my brake master cylinders through this little hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    First car show, threatened to rain all day.

33. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more pics from Annapolis cars & cofee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a nice time in Easton MD that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin Good, Dave. Wish I could join ya... dont know if you saw, but I moved to Tennessee about 2 months ago. But maybe 2 Sterling Gray F5's shouldn't be seen together anyways...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123