BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front Ball Joint Discussion Thread and Potential Safety Concern

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you are over analyzing the situation, this steel part is not loaded all that highly in either application, the increase continual loading should only result in wearing out a bit more rapidly... IMO: no big deal how many of us drive our kit cars as much as Ralph Button drives his Cobra? Replace them more often and be done with it
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like

Double A arm.

This would be a nice set up.
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    In ALL engineering decisions there are compromises, FFR did the best they could within the scope of the design goals. It is a safe design with some reasonable compromises... A totally custom setup would dramatically increase the cost of the kit for marginal improvement. The resultant design is far better that the original Subaru design. Check out cars with toitally custom suspensions, finished kit cost would double or triple...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I started a thread about a different front upright (or a spindle). Now, with this discussion, what we discussed there seems relevant. Could we possibly go there to discuss options at least for racing?
    I show some options I found at post #68 and after as well as the link to the discussion about spindles for locost kits.
    I am interested in something new or adapting existing spindles, which also means a different LCA. I want to do inboard shocks. I want 5x114 wheel stud pattern, too. That's what I have for the rear (STi).

I didn't finish my engineering degree but I know about arguing. To me it is evident that there is a potential problem with the current design. I dropped a ball-joint at 100+ and it was not a pretty sight. To speculate that the ball-joint design is OK "'cause nobody's seen a failure" is just untenable. Driving over the curbs in the bus-stop at Watkins Glen is pretty jarring. What if you hit something more substantial? Cars do go off into unexpected places and hit humongous pot-holes; they don't always stay on a smooth track or street. And what happens when they are worn and forgotten about?

A simple solution might be for FFR to offer a "Hot-rod" based front suspension.
    However it can be accomplished, I'm in when it comes to wanting something better, lighter and racier.
    Last edited by Scargo; 10-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123