BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tank Question

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Question

Hey its Stuart K here. We attempted installing the fuel tank but we just couldn't get it to fit correctly and get enough room to attach the bolts to the lock nuts. We tried bending the flap around the tank but that didnt work. Any tips out there other than going to buy a longer bolt??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Use longer bolts to pull the straps tight. After doing this they will be "extruded" into shape and you will be able to install the FFR provided bolts (or simply leave the longer ones in place and move on to the next item).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Use longer bolts to pull the straps tight. After doing this they will be "extruded" into shape and you will be able to install the FFR provided bolts (or simply leave the longer ones in place and move on to the next item).

Jeff
    Thanks so much for the tip. Will get some tomorrow. Have a good night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff beat me to the answer to your specific question. But having said that, several hints. (1) I'd be very careful about bending the edges of the tank. There is a seam weld in there, and I personally wouldn't want to be bending that area much. (2) Don't forget the little cushions that go on the end of the 3/4 inch tubes contacting the tank. Many forget those. (3) Watch for interference between the frame and the tank filler once the tank is in position. Some (including me) have had to add a spacer of some type to lower the tank just slightly. (4) If you haven't already, consider adding couplers to the quick-jack bolt locations before installing the tank. This is an often discussed mod that will make things easier in the future. Many threads, but this is a good one: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-gas-tank.html (5) Finally, don't be in a hurry to install the fuel tank if you haven't already installed the rear suspension, brake lines, fuel lines, rear wiring harness branch, and at least mocked up the aluminum panels in that area. Basically it's the last thing that should be installed since it will be in the way for the other stuff mentioned.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-03-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. This is very helpful!!! I was worried about it being in the way. I am glad you confirmed that fear

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    What edwardb said. I rushed to put it in and it has been in the way ever since. Not impossible to work around, but a little patience would have helped me. I too had to add spacers so the tank filler wouldn't hit the frame. I used an exhaust hanger and cut the rubber into 1/4 inch high squares - worked perfectly.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014