Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What seats do you have for the 818S

Post Thanks / Like

What seats do you have for the 818S

I'm looking for some comfortable seats that offer good lateral support plus bolster support under your thighs.
    I'm hoping to purchase them with seat heaters or put the heaters in.

What have you guys installed? I'm 5'11", 175 lb so I should be good for distance to the wheel.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Bimarco Futura. FIA homologated, fixed back, fiberglass shell, removable cover. $350 each? don't buy the mounts with it, they're not long enough for the 818 without making changes to the floor.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm haven't picked a set yet, but will have to do this soon.

At the moment I have a miata seat left over from the last race car build so I can sit in the car, but that won't be the long term solution. I've spent way too much time on websites, but if it helps, I have been looking at the Corbeau A4 or LG1 or the Sparco Chrono Road (all with seat heaters). I would really like to sit in the seats first, but the local Corbeau dealer doesn't have these on the floor (and won't unless I order them and then pay a restock fee if I don't like them) and the Sparco dealer is at Sear Point and I won't be there till December. I'm planning to bribe my neighbor to bring over his welder when the time comes to build brackets to mount them.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up a pair of Sparco Corsa, which look juuust narrow enough in the shoulders. Very supportive, not suggested for those with over 34" waist.

I'm 5'11, 175 lbs aprox. Great fit.

Last edited by xxguitarist; 11-04-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm just a bit bigger than you (6' 185lbs) and pleased with the fixed back NRG seats I got. I'm still building, but have sat in them for a while getting the ergonomics sorted. I got them from Erik (33 Machine) for about $600, including harnesses. I picked up some heaters from Amazon to put in them.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a topic I'll watch very closely. I've been hunting for seats for months and still haven't decided. All comments below aren't from personal experience... just what I've discovered after many hours of research.

The Kirkey Intermediate Road Race (aluminum backed) are well-liked, reasonably priced, high quality, and light, but many people claim they are uncomfortable after 1-2 hours or so in the seat. I read a lot of comments about this being the case with all aluminum framed seats.

I see complaints on the quality of Corbeau and NRG - generally relating to the durability of the cover (the cover wears out very quickly according to some).

Sparco and Recaro seem to be both highly regarded, the latter being VERY expensive. Sparco has a relatively affordable entry level seat.

Momo seems to get good reviews and they have an affordably entry level seat, but they may be too wide to fit in the 818.

All adjustable backed seats I have looked at appear to be too heavy for my consideration.

I hope someone comes up with a clear winner, though seat choices are obviously very personal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recaros from a VW Corrado (cloth version, not the leather version). Heated (bottom and back), electrically adjustable (though you will probably not keep the height adj), excellent lateral support, very comfortable for as many hours as you wish. They however fit almost just in one location, the play is minimal all around with FFR's fuel tank. The bottom front of the seats will touch a bit the small crossbar between center tunnel and frame. I will change the cloth for something in faux suede like the rest of the cockpit.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight, couple impressions to add to yours:

Kirkey intermediate, moderate price, I think it's comfy from some 5 minute sits, but none longer to speak from. There's the economy too, but I don't like it nearly as well.
    Corbeau forza has a very forward headrest. Not so fun with a helmet.
    Sparco sprint has a big bar across the front that bothers some people.

We picked up the above seats for under the retail of one of them new on CL. Came with sliders, too!

All race seats will pick up a bit of wear on the bolsters from getting in&out. Some materials are certainly better than others though.
    Last edited by xxguitarist; 11-04-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Oops. Wrong seat mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up a pair of Cobra Imola Pros used a while back. One is standard (14.5" seat width), and one is GT (15.5" seat width). The narrow one fits me pretty well, but I'm 5'7" and hips are around 13" wide. I'm actually going to sell them as the shoulder harness height is too high for me, which I think is usually the opposite problem many people have. I would rate Cobras right up there with a Sparco. I would definitely try to sit in whatever seats you can, and make sure they'll fit how you need them to first, and then consider which ones will work. The published dimensions vary like crazy between manufactures, which makes determining how well fixed back seats will be pretty tricky.
    --Joe
    818S #234 V7 EJ207 Spec-C (VF34) Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sparco Chrono Road seats in mine. They are the medium size ones rather than the standard size. The medium size are slightly smaller.

IMG_0643.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Racetech halo seat is my current plan, but I havent purchased yet. The 818R has the bars so close to your head that you need some containment anyway... Theres atleast one build on here using that seat, but I honestly can not recall who is doing it.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think C.Plavan has that seat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kirkey roadrace seats, the same FFR uses. I like them very much for comfort and stability. Plus they fit in this car very easily.image.jpg
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 12-07-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using Momo Corse fixed back fiberglass seats, they fit with plenty of space and plenty of leg room. Each seat weighs 18.8 lbs with the mounting brackets. Got them for $600 on craigslist (including brackets). The bottom fabric can be pealed back to install a heater if desired.

IMAG0783.jpgIMAG0786.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea which momo seats those are? They look like they might be "Starts" which is what I was thinking about getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Any idea which momo seats those are? They look like they might be "Starts" which is what I was thinking about getting.
    Yea I think they may be "starts" - that's what the label on the fabric says. There's another paper sticker on the bottom of the seat that says model: Corse SRL. As you can see, these seats were made in 2004 so the design may have changed over the years. But the seats definitely feel solid and very comfy, I'm not wrestling to get in and out of them (I have a 33" waist BTW). One thing I'm going to also have to get is a 4 point harness as I don't think the stock wrx seat belts will work very well due to the high side bolsters.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thank you. I'm strongly considering those exact seats. I have a 30" waist and worry about them being a little too big though. I know the Kirkey's have quite a few different size options, while I think the momo's are only regular and large.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning to stick with the stock Subaru seats (2005 Impreza RS wagon) and seat belts, but I am now worried that they simply will not work. I am 6'4" and 200 lbs with a 34" waist. If my plan is to use the 818S strictly for street use, what would you recommend for a comfy seat and harness setup that a person could sit in for hours at a time? I like the Kirkeys, but not certain about sizing.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    You are looking for the same as I am. I am no longer going with the stock seats and started this thread so I could see what others are doing. Some great feedback so far. The aftermarket seats will also give you more room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    I was planning to stick with the stock Subaru seats (2005 Impreza RS wagon) and seat belts, but I am now worried that they simply will not work. I am 6'4" and 200 lbs with a 34" waist. If my plan is to use the 818S strictly for street use, what would you recommend for a comfy seat and harness setup that a person could sit in for hours at a time? I like the Kirkeys, but not certain about sizing.
    For the street, you never want a harness. You need the seatbelt to move, or you wont be able to reach over into the passenger seat, or scoot your hips up for your wallet, etc... its a pain to put on a multipoint to drive across the parking lot, etc... dealing with a harness on the street sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    For the street, you never want a harness. You need the seatbelt to move, or you wont be able to reach over into the passenger seat, or scoot your hips up for your wallet, etc... its a pain to put on a multipoint to drive across the parking lot, etc... dealing with a harness on the street sucks.
    I'm planning on harnesses only for my S. Many/most Roadster builders only have harnesses and the cam-locks I have are a bit friendlier than the latch lock Simpsons most use. I don't see the 818 as a daily driver (at least not mine). It's a minimalist sports car; a true spyder or barchetta, and will be an 'event' to drive. The 818 cockpit is so small that as long as you can reach all the controls, I don't see the issue. Even in my Z, I can't take my phone or wallet out of my pants pocket without unbuckling the 3-point seatbelt. With all the other compromises inherent to an 818, clicking into a harness is not a big deal to me. I have other cars to use as easy, comfortable daily drivers and grocery getters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Corbeau FX1 Pros. Can't give a full review of them until I get to drive the thing more, but just sitting in them I like them and the price is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    I am 5'9 185 with a 34 waist and I have the 16 wide kirkey road race seats. A 17 might suit you better cause your taller and to me the 16 fits like a glove, a 17 would give you a little more room. I really like them, plus you can wash the covers, which is a huge advantage cause these cars attract a lot of road stones etc.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Sparco Chrono Road (regular). Slightly heavy as they are reclining. Will only work with a Boyd tank. For a guy your size it's too big of a seat. If you like the look, a Chrono Road Medium (smaller) would be a better fit, and fit easier in the car.

It's non FIA, sport seat. Which means it has padding and hopefully comfort on the road.

photo 2.JPG

Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Travis - Is that the medium Chrono Road's in your photo or the regular?
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to confuse. I have the regular. I am 6'-0" 210#.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a pair of Recaro speed s seats that I like. I sat in many seats, but my wide shoulders just made me feel hunched. I almost picked up some Sparco seats, but the shoulders weren't as comfy as the recaro's. They are pricey, shop around, a rare deal can be found. I have the boyd tank with the 3" firewall mod. I'm just shy of 6' and 220lbs with a 32" inseam. I like the fit with a good reach to the stock wrx steering wheel. My main concern is the upper seatbelt mount sits behind the seat a little and the resulting angle of the belt leaving the bracket seems to drag on the belt a little. Since I'm only go kart stage, I haven't spent enough time in the seat to determine if it's a problem yet. I mounted them on Sparco sliders with a 1" square tube spacer under the front mounting spot between the slider and the 818 frame.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Momo carbon kevlar acropolis seats. FIA cert and light as a feather!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wookie Seats

Michael and I both need wookie seats.
    6'0" #290 & 6' 3" #270
    Our requirement was enough legroom and helmet lower than roll bar.
    Seat: Kirkey KIR-47900 Aluminum, Intermediate Road Race, 15 Degree Layback, 18 in. Hip Width
    Cover:KIR-47941 Black tweed cloth

To get us low enough, we mounted the direct to floor/cross bars of the 818. (no side brackets)
    To get them back far enough we reshaped the seat. At 16" above the floor we cut the seat and welded to 0 degrees layback the rest of the way up. This satisfied our requirement but forced us to relocate the gas tank.

We have sat in the seats for three 2 hour autocross sessions with no complaints.

P1050108ss.jpg

DSC_9235.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Corbeau FX1 Pros. Can't give a full review of them until I get to drive the thing more, but just sitting in them I like them and the price is right.
    I have been considering the FX-1 Pro as well. I have not decided whether to use the side mounts or the bottom mount with slider. Which route did you take? I am planning on using the Factory Five Fuel tank and wonder if there is enough room to make the slider worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    The seat brackets that came with my kit are designed to use the stock seats. I bought some cheap seats to put in for now, but I don't know what brackets to use. Anyone know of a universal bracket that will bottom mount and fit to the 818 frame without a lot of modifications?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    I have been considering the FX-1 Pro as well. I have not decided whether to use the side mounts or the bottom mount with slider. Which route did you take? I am planning on using the Factory Five Fuel tank and wonder if there is enough room to make the slider worthwhile.
    There's not really enough room for a slider IMO. I'm 5'11" and I have the seats as far back as they can go. I used side mounts and then bolted those to a piece of steel attached to the X brace. I also cut off the rear most bottom mounts on the seats to give myself a little more cranium clearance below the S's roll bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 5' 10" 155 and bought the vinyl model of Sparco r100. Free shipping on amazon or summit racing. They are the smallest reclinable seat i have found. They look to be able to slide forward and back at least three inches sitting flat. Tip the sliding rails up or use Boyd tank and they can probably move quite a bit more. They can recline 15 deg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I am 5' 10" 155 and bought the vinyl model of Sparco r100. Free shipping on amazon or summit racing. They are the smallest reclinable seat i have found. They look to be able to slide forward and back at least three inches sitting flat. Tip the sliding rails up or use Boyd tank and they can probably move quite a bit more. They can recline 15 deg
    I had the cloth one in my wrx. They are pretty nice. I never used the reclining feature honestly. So this time I got fixed back. Momo carbon kevlar rare.

seats.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the Corbeau FX1 Pros today. I used the Corbeau universal slider and added a 2 inch aluminum spacer at the front to give some tilt back. I had to drill the brackets to correspond to the frame tubes.The seats fit easily and I find them comfortable. I am 5'7" and have them all the way back to the firewall with the stock FF fuel tank. There is about 2 inches of travel room forward so my wife should be able to drive the car as well.Attachment 35955
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The pictures show fixed back seats and the description says they are "PAIR OF TYPE-2 FULL RECLINABLE RACING SEAT BLACK WOVEM PVC LEATHER". The discrepancy would make me concerned about which type I would be receiving.

Then again, its hard to beat wovem PVC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent them that question. They are fixed back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always get nervous when I see the wrong picture and spelling mistakes...... buyer beware.
    I saw some of those online as well, but haven't bought any yet.
    I think I'll stick to finding some name brand seats that we already know fit well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those of you with the Corbeau fx1 pros - can you take a picture directly head on so I can guesstimate how much room there is on either side of the seat? I'm trying to decide between the fx1 pro (up to 36" waist) and the fx1 (36-38" waist). I'm not sure the car can provide the additional width needed to run the wider version.

I'm also considering purchasing one of each and putting the one that doesn't fit me the best on the passenger side. Unfortunately I haven't found anyplace local that carries Corbeau seats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast