Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What iteration is my Roadster? MK 1, 2, 3 or 4? Was built in 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

What iteration is my Roadster? MK 1, 2, 3 or 4? Was built in 2004.

cobra 8.jpgI bought my FFR Roadster already built and am not sure if it's a Mk 1, 2, 3 or 4. I am pretty sure it isn't a 4 because it doesn't have the round tube cross member up front.

Thanks for your help,

Greg
    Last edited by 1965cobra302; 11-10-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Punctuation and to add pic.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Greg,

It's most likely a 2 or 3. Someone could have had it in storage or bought a used kit and built it so it could be earlier. If the steering shaft comes out the front of the foot box it is a 3 and if it comes out the inside (next to the engine) and has a support bearing on the shaft as it goes forward to the universal at the front it is an earlier model. Also, the frame number is a clue. Mine is RD6046 from Apr 2007 and it is a MKIII. If you have all the paper work, the answer could be there as well. Sometimes the investigative side of this is as interesting as the building and upgrading.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Roadster! Congratulations
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Maybe the info is embedded in the VIN?

Post Thanks / Like
    cobra 7.jpgThank you for your quick response, it's appreciated. I have the assembly manual but not the build sheet. May I ask where the frame number is located? I have a VIN number but don't know if that has the kind of information that a regular vehicles VIN has? My VIN # is IA followed by 6 #s. I read a book by Carroll Shelby (Shelby's Wildlife) in 1977 and have loved the Cobra since. In my view, the best looking car on the planet. There are no bad angles, looks good from anywhere. I'm thankful for FFR making an accurate, affordable version that so many can enjoy. I love my car.
    Last edited by 1965cobra302; 11-11-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: To add picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Learned from your two pics:
    - Mk2 or earlier. Definitely not Mk3 or Mk4. Most obvious because of the steering column location described by WEK.
    - 5.0 engine with fuel injection
    - Manual steering and brakes
    - Cable clutch (vs. hydraulic)
    - Shorty headers (vs. 4-into-4's)
    - Heater, no wipers
    - Hood pins vs. hinges
    Mk3 and Mk4 chassis numbers are on the 2 inch tube just below the steering column by your left knee. As I recall, earlier models are in a different location. Others will know.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-11-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chassis numbers on the early (MKI and MKII) were welded in the square tube behind the seat (not visible with the body on). The VIN you see was applied by whatever state the car was first registered in (here in California, the CHP applies a blue tag to the frame).
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking edwardb's extrapolation a little further---in the underhood photo I can see Pole Position/SPC upper control arms which would peg it as a Mk2 (or perhaps a Mk1 that got reconfigured and updated but not likely).

Enjoy it Greg!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to thank all of you for your information and let you know I like all the cars on here. For an earlier model it's in spectacular condition. I should have mentioned it had a whopping 5200 miles on it when I got it four weeks ago. I've already put 1000 miles on it which is more impressive when you understand I live in Iowa and haven't had a lot of good weather. I'm in it every chance I get. I am gad there are so many people out there that enjoy the same type of experience.

Thanks to all,

Greg

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Greg,

I think you will find as you become more familiar with your roadster and others around you that the MK number doesn't really matter. Some of the best ones I've seen are well build MK I and IIs. It's the care and attention to detail from each builder. You have a nice roadster there. Learn as much as you can about it from help from the forum guys and other research. It will make your journey even better. Glad to see you on the forum. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks just like my MkII
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a Journeyman Machinist and also used to do body work so I really planned on building my own car. 10 years ago, I filled out an order sheet from FFR and by the time I added the options I had to have, I was over $20,000. So I started tracking FFRs on Ebay and found I could purchase one already built for another $5,000 or so. 10 years later I found what I believe to be a decent deal. I had to sell my 1991 Mustang GT 347 stroker with nitrous (10 sec car) and apply that money to my new toy. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. The person who built my car did it almost exactly how I would have except I might have put a stroker in it. Probably good it has a moderate 302 so I don't get into trouble. Great to be on this sight and be able to exchange ideas with like minded people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1965cobra302 View Post
    I am a Journeyman Machinist and also used to do body work so I really planned on building my own car. 10 years ago, I filled out an order sheet from FFR and by the time I added the options I had to have, I was over $20,000. So I started tracking FFRs on Ebay and found I could purchase one already built for another $5,000 or so. 10 years later I found what I believe to be a decent deal. I had to sell my 1991 Mustang GT 347 stroker with nitrous (10 sec car) and apply that money to my new toy. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. The person who built my car did it almost exactly how I would have except I might have put a stroker in it. Probably good it has a moderate 302 so I don't get into trouble. Great to be on this sight and be able to exchange ideas with like minded people.

Great story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1965cobra302 View Post
    cobra 8.jpgI bought my FFR Roadster already built and am not sure if it's a Mk 1, 2, 3 or 4. I am pretty sure it isn't a 4 because it doesn't have the round tube cross member up front.

Thanks for your help,

Greg
    As stated already, it could be a MK I or MK II, open your trunk, take a picture and post it here and we can then tell you which one you have. Also if you know the FFR chassis number, that too will assist in identifying your chassis version.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA