FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: pics of air filter locations

Post Thanks / Like

pics of air filter locations

I looked thru multiple threads trying to find pics of where some of the air filters are ending up. I have a Cobb intake and was gonna try and get it down near the quarter panel vent but I'm sure if that's even possible with fender wells? I don't know if there's a thread on this all ready sorry if so. Kindle fire search doesn't work for me on this forum? Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the OEM filter about in the same place as the forester. I plan for cool air from the side vent to feed this.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, that looks awesome! I wish I'd tried that before I bought my Cobb intake. I may still do it, and sell the intake to someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen this one in person ( http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post141844 ). I liked the positioning on it, but not quite sure why they curved up and around. I'm planning on doing mine straight out as much as possible and then maybe a curve at the end to get some cold air. Who knows what it will be like with the fender wells and all though.

Post Thanks / Like
    For now, stock inlet, 45* connector, Cobb intake, and a K&N I found to fit it. I'll try to rig up some sort of way to guide side vent air towards the filter.
    image.jpg
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Bob, that looks awesome! I wish I'd tried that before I bought my Cobb intake. I may still do it, and sell the intake to someone else.
    I had bobs setup, but I went with Cobb. Either is a good way to go. If you have Cobb I would stay with it because it is one of the best intakes to tune with.

A stock box, Cobb or spt are all I would use in a subaru. Aems work ok, but tend to get a flat spot in the power curve due to the inner design of the maf mount which creates a of sort of turbulence. Even if you tune it well, it still presents itself.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 11-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW the AEM 818R runs an OTS Hawk Eye intake system that required very little modification to make it work.

jZkZHWh.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Six star any problems. With wheel well clearance I like that and the location that bompus linked too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    FWIW the AEM 818R runs an OTS Hawk Eye intake system that required very little modification to make it work.

jZkZHWh.jpg
    To each there own, I could post some evidence but it's not a huge deal, just something that is noticeable to me and other tuners around here, and on dyno sheets as well. It's perfectly safe to use etc, just not to my liking from the tuning side of things, and I choose to use other methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just realised Bob's speed secrets. Leave the clecos in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    I've seen this one in person ( http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post141844 ). I liked the positioning on it, but not quite sure why they curved up and around. I'm planning on doing mine straight out as much as possible and then maybe a curve at the end to get some cold air. Who knows what it will be like with the fender wells and all though.
    It puts the cone filter at a slight angle, right between the scoop and the fender well.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    AEM short fits really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Just realised Bob's speed secrets. Leave the clecos in!
    Don't tell anyone.
    You wouldn't believe how many zip ties are holding the car together right now.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Samiam..... good catch.
    I would have totally missed the cleco's. I'm going to leave them in too.......obviously a speed secret.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lol there a well known racing tip!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody thought about putting the air filter on the other side of the firewall? Would it get an adequate supply of air? If so, it seems like the air would be much cooler outside of the engine compartment.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That area is going to be very hot. Your hot coolant pipe runs through there and it will heat up the air in there. The best solution, IMHO on an 818S is to do what Tamra and Andrew did which is to build a box duct on the side of the scoop and put the air filter in there, and ensure the intake tube is sealed off well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Opened up the right side scoop for my AAIC, the top 2 inches of the scoop feeds the boxed off air filter as does the engine cover right side scoop that was intended to feed the stock top mount AAIC. The air flow for the IC is ducted to the lower rear grill outlet, under where I'll install my trunk.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

I have the coupe and built an enclosed box that connects to the roof scoop. I am running no MAF, 8" filter inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't care about or don't have a passenger then this is pretty tough to beat!

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post196943
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaime...Which AEM is that., I have one but it ends up inside of the rod and rubs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    AEM short fits really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot air is bad, in this location with all the covers on I was logging 113 degrees F! OAT was 75! I will be re routing this into the side scoop this summer.
    32082848-52D7-4405-99D6-19B87FC09BF8.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an R with no passenger seat. My air filter is in front of the fire wall in about the same location as DMC7492. I get ambient +10F with the AWIC. There is quite a bit of "sound" generated from the air moving. I have a helmet and ear plugs on when driving.

Post Thanks / Like

25. Likes Kiwi Dave, metros liked this post