FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Thread - Camry lights (old)

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Thread - Camry lights (old)

This thread is about the Camry lights, not the headlights in the new nose.

I've searched and found very little about headlights, so I'm starting a thread that might be easy for those following to find.

High Beam: The manual says to use the high beam socket and bulb from the donor but I don't have those (AJW crate). Should I buy Subaru sockets & bulbs? Will they fit the headlights, which I think are Camry? Or buy Camry socket & bulbs . . . part numbers?

Aiming: The headlights supplied by FFR have very little adjustment possible even after I added a turn buckle at the bottom. It appears we are all mounting the headlights at different up/down and left/right angles but can the headlight beam be aimed to specs?

Eric, ehanson007, said to buy aftermarket projector headlights, like Spyder, which have aiming adjustments. Maybe before I buy sockets and bulbs for the supplied headlights I should upgrade the headlights. To find those I should search for Camry replacement lights, right?
    Last edited by AZPete; 08-13-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, any 2002-2006 Camry should work, IIRC. Spyder makes two versions, one with DRLs that Erik got, and one with LED lit halos, which I just ordered. Both come with Osram H1 bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Spyder with halos as well. Not fitted at all at the moment, in a few months.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an 02 wagon donor and I could not use the factory Subaru high beam components, that model was a combination bulb that does not fit in the Camry housing. I called FFR and they agreed. They said they would send me bulbs and connectors. I think the later models have the right bulbs and connectors. I also think the high beam is a 9005 and the low is a 9006. Nothing really special for the stock housings. I do agree that fitting the headlight housings has been one of the most challenging tasks. My buckets look like swiss cheese and I used locknuts and threaded rod connectors to make the lower bucket mount adjustable. The jury is still out to know if I can get the adjustment right.

Post Thanks / Like
    The spiders work great and have full adjustment for projector and highbeams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric, I've been looking at the Spyder headlights online and since you say they work great and have full adjustment I'll get them. But what year did you get?
    2004 Camry? It looks like the 2006-07 are different.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, I got the 2006-2009 Camry model, they look identical to FFR's supplied headlights, but I have not tried to fit them yet.

Erik (or Eric?), nice avatar, but we want to see the car. lollll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    can you guys add photos to show how the spyders are adjustable?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Spyder web site shows the same projector headlights for 2002-2006 Camry. Here's a photo from the web site that shows the back and the 4 adjusters are circled. Also, I see that the connections are wires to connectors and not just plug-in connections, so I can just splice wires to the Subaru harness. My next step is finding the best price and buying these:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got them new on Amazon for $179.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I just bought a pair on Amazon.
    I should enter them on my expense list but it fell into the shredder 6 months ago, along with my budget.
    I must be spending a lot because every day there's a box from Nordstrom's at the door addressed to my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Any photos of headlight options on the 818? Has anyone done a retro yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Thanks, I just bought a pair on Amazon.
    I should enter them on my expense list but it fell into the shredder 6 months ago, along with my budget.
    I must be spending a lot because every day there's a box from Nordstrom's at the door addressed to my wife.
    Ha! My wife got a kick out of that. She's got far more deliveries (from Nordstrom, Anthropology, Lucky, Lululemon, etc...) recently than I have the 818. My only Black Friday purchase was a Cobb 3-port EBCS.

Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Any photos of headlight options on the 818? Has anyone done a retro yet?
    Here's Erik's (the DRL version of the Spyder lights that he retrofitted with an LED string):

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone else had any luck with aiming the provided headlights and/or the aftermarket lights? I'm debating on ordering a set of the Spyder lights, just so I don't have to drive around everywhere with my high beams on...

Thanks!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ +1.

Does anyone know off hand if Spyder do a RHD version of these lights, and if they have the required SAE/ADR or equivalent markings on them to verify if they are road registrable?

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I found time to get the Spyder headlights wired. Here's the look so far but I haven't aimed them yet, which is the reason I upgraded to Spyder lights. I'll post a photo when they are aimed and include if it was possible or not to get them aimed as per manual.

Hendow, I don't know but you could ask them: Spyderauto.com
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-30-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Syder link

Post Thanks / Like
    RHD not available from Spyder. It is perhaps possible to cut and modify them however. Somewhere there was a thread showing how you can invert the low beam lens - thus enabling them to dip down to the left instead of the right. IMO too difficult to ensure properly working and accurate - so I locally purchased the Camry Sportivo OEM lamps. Not as nice as the spyder, but these have black inserts and are a small improvement upon the standard Camry.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could of just done a projector retrofit from theretrofitsource.com they have bolt in projectors for the spyders and the option of choosing the beam pattern that you want. Its a better option in my opinion, Im going to do the retrofit so I have the best possible looking and function lights. I've done the mod several times and its one of the best mods in my opinion for safety and looks. Just imagine a being able to light up a 10 lane freeway with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, I really like your vent mesh, is that just expanded aluminum?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got time to aim the Spyder headlights and they are very precise and easy. Each light (low & high beam) has a vertical and horizontal adjustment. I don't know how these compare to the regular Camry lights but I'm happy that these are so adjustable.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so after all the thread above it looks like we can't align the FFR supplied camry buckets.?
    Any one have success aligning the FFR camry lights?
    Looks like most are going for spyders because of adjustability?
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    OK, so after all the thread above it looks like we can't align the FFR supplied camry buckets.?
    Any one have success aligning the FFR camry lights?
    Looks like most are going for spyders because of adjustability?
    I do not have my headlights installed yet. I plan on using the FFR supplied units.
    I searched online and found that there is a screw on the back for vertical adjustment.
    I circled it in the attached picture.
    Bob

headlight2.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete that picture is of course before you adjusted them right, i just swapped over to my new spyders and got similar results, havent aimed them yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aahh, no, that picture is after I adjusted them. A picture I saw on You Tube about adjusting projector lights had stairsteps up to the right on the low beams, but I couldn't get that. The left and right lights each projected the same level pattern - not each higher on the right side. On the photo I now see a hot spot on the left but I didn't notice it outside. For the high beams I just aimed them straight ahead. Do you think I should do I again? At least I can say they are easy to adjust, up/down, right/left. I took the front fenders off to reach the adjusters easily but with the fenders on I think you can reach the adjusters through the openings in the rear of the headlight buckets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what worrying me about your picture, normally there is a nice horizontal cutoff line, yours are tilted at an angle. Whenever I set up a projector retrofit I like to have the line go straight across. Its just an observation maybe someone else can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.spyderusa.com/spy/images/...ghting/HAS.pdf

Here is the link to their aiming headlight pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right. I have to aim the headlights again with the Spyder pdf in hand. I didn't block one light to set the other so I was getting bleed that obscured the pattern. And, my excuse is that last night I was a little rushed with a rain storm approaching.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right. I have to aim the headlights again with the Spyder pdf in hand. I didn't block one light to set the other so I was getting bleed that obscured the pattern. And, my excuse is that last night I was a little rushed with a rain storm approaching.
    Thanks!
    Pete
    Do those headlights have a rotation adjustment?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    They just have a left/right up down for both the high and low. Its the way the headlights are mounted with the buckets we have. I haven't aim the lights yet but from my understanding of them thats all of the adjustment they come with. Might need to do a retrofit in the stock lamps now. Someone please correct me though if Im wrong, maybe erik will chime in soon since he finished his car off with these headlights and got them aim and passed inspection.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 03-03-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between the LED halo and the DRL versions? DRL is daylight running light?
    I like the LED Halo look, but what does the DRL version do? or what does it looklike?

I don't see anywhere on the spyder website where they show what they look like when they are on.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see anywhere on the spyder website where they show what they look like when they are on.
    There are some photos in Eric's thread
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post139294

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I'm really confused! I tried aiming my Spyder headlights again but this time, per the Spyder instructions, I blocked each side to see what the individual low beams look like. The left light looks like expected but the right light is all wrong and looks like a light for a right hand drive car! Any ideas? I'll contact Spyder tomorrow. I really hope it's fixable without replacing the entire headlight because I've got LOTS of hours in the headlight installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I'm really confused! I tried aiming my Spyder headlights again but this time, per the Spyder instructions, I blocked each side to see what the individual low beams look like. The left light looks like expected but the right light is all wrong and looks like a light for a right hand drive car! Any ideas? I'll contact Spyder tomorrow. I really hope it's fixable without replacing the entire headlight because I've got LOTS of hours in the headlight installation.
    Pete,
    It looks like your lights are rotated.
    The left beam needs to be rotated clockwise.
    The right beam needs to be rotated counter-clockwise.

I wonder if you can open the housing and rotate the projectors.
    Has anyone check the light with the FFR supplied lights?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between the LED halo and the DRL versions? DRL is daylight running light?
    I like the LED Halo look, but what does the DRL version do? or what does it looklike?

I have the halo version.
    I think the DRL is the one with the LED strip on the outer side of each bucket.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Correct. I went DRL version myself (think Audi headlights).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    ^^ Correct. I went DRL version myself (think Audi headlights).
    I went Halo version myself (think BMW headlights)

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaargh! I just spoke to a tech guy at Spyder who looked ay my photos and said both my lights are defective and should be returned and replaced. There's no way to rotate the lights within the case. I got them from Amazon so I'll have to remove the fenders and the lights and go through Amazon return. I think it's strange that both lights would be defective and the tech said he had never seen this before. So before I spend the hours removing & reinstalling I'll wait and call Spyder later in hopes of getting another tech to confirm. There's no way I'll know if the replacement set is better until I install & wire them. (insert an adult word here)
    Last edited by AZPete; 03-05-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaargh! I just spoke to a tech guy at Spyder who looked ay my photos and said both my lights are defective and should be returned and replaced. There's no way to rotate the lights within the case. I got them from Amazon so I'll have to remove the fenders and the lights and go through Amazon return. I think it's strange that both lights would be defective and the tech said he had never seen this before. So before I spend the hours removing & reinstalling I'll wait and call Spyder later in hopes of getting another tech to confirm. There's no way I'll know if the replacement set is better until I install & wire them. (insert an adult word here)
    Hey Pete,
    Before you take anything apart. Have someone at FFR confirm the mounting in the 818 is the same rotation as the camry.
    I haven't heard of anyone else testing their lights yet.
    Below I made a picture that seems to show the issue. But picture angles can be deceiving.
    Bob
    hl.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I've been thinking the same. I called Spyder later in hopes of getting another tech, but got the same guy. He insists the lights are defective but I find it very coincidental that both lights are defective the same way and the same amount. I want to avoid replacing the lights and weather-pack terminals only to find the replacement lights have the same problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to a Toyota dealer and find an 02-06 Camry on their used car lot so I can measure the "levelness" of the lights. In photos it looks like the Camry lights might be lower on the inside than the outside, but as you said, photos can be deceiving. If my Spyder lights were each angled about 8 degrees lower on the inside the projected cutoff lines would be level.
    Then, maybe I'll call Factory Five.

Erik, you installed Spyder headlights. Did you aim them? Was the projector cutoff line level?
    Edit: Erik replied to my PM and said he aimed his lights but "never really got them to be straight". That's a big hint.
    Last edited by AZPete; 03-05-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Erik's reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast