Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Damage from road debris (windshields, etc)

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Damage from road debris (windshields, etc)

I live in Arizona. For whatever reason, we have experienced more damage to windshields and other areas of the front of our cars than anywhere I have lived in the past. It's not even close. We have had 8 windshields in 10 years. So transferring this concern to the roadster, I don't think there is much I can do to avoid the potential damage to the straight up and down design of the windscreen.

However, I am thinking there should be something done about the opening to the alum radiator which I have covered with cardboard during the build. I have seen some grilles on original street Cobras (horizontal and vertical design) which really don't look that great. It sort of takes away from the looks, IMO. I have seen a few nice grille materials used but they are few far between. I have checked at my local metal supply house and found a 22 ga octagonal design that looks good but is too light (open 79%). I will check to see if the same design is available in a thicker ga. The only other type I have seen that I really like is the grille material in the brake cooling ports of original and some replica models.

What do you suggest? There may be some other solution, I have not considered.

Thank you in advance, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    You can still protect the rad but leave the open look to the front of the car. One solution is by building an aluminum frame work to support screening, and installing it directly in front of the rad. This has been incorporated by several builders. It sits back far enough from the mouth, that you don't even notice them.

I put this one on as a temporary grille, as I eventually want to make a egg-crate style similar to what the slabsides had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I guess it would be easy to miss the ones inside and close to the radiator (never seen one). I will consider that. It would be easy enough at this point to fab. I wasn't too keen on a grille anyway. So that would allow me to retain the mean race look and still do the job. Thanks for you suggestion. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to a thread with a couple of pictures. They can also be painted black so they are less obvious.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-radiator.html

There are a few threads that go over the building of them as well on that site..but it takes a bit of searching...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again! That thread really reinforces the need for a screen. I think that will be time well spent in fabbing one considering the alternative. WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine came with an aluminum window screen (I'm not kidding) in front of the radiator. I thought it looked a bit different and it took me a few minutes to figure out what it was but it perfectly covers the radiator. It's aluminum mesh not the fabric or plastic screen. With the aluminum frame around it you really can't tell its not part of the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Patpur,
    What is your roadster #? Mine is 6046. I bet you have a later version or different vendor. Maybe it's standard equip now. WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    1725, mines a previously owned MK1. Car looks like its new yet its 10 years old. It's definitely an add on. I took a lot of stuff off of this car after I got it and that was one thing I was thinking about removing then I thought how practical it was and you can't really tell its there. I've included a pic. Its hard to see but its there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my radiator screen made from SS screen by Pegasus Racing, 3/4" flat stock from the local hardware supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    Here's my radiator screen made from SS screen by Pegasus Racing, 3/4" flat stock from the local hardware supply.
    Thats some nice work, think I will do the same.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you promise not to make fun of the bugs and rubber boogers that I haven't cleaned up I'll try to describe how I made mine using 1/2" grid stainless---if I did it again I'd use 1/4".

I used 3/4" X 3/4" aluminum angle and riveted each vertical side to the nose aluminum about 1 1/2" out from the radiator. Used the same for a top and bottom then secured them to the side angle pieces by overlapping the corners and nut & bolting with chrome button heads. This leaves a trapezoid, wider at the bottom. Cut the screen to fit. I then used 1/2" X 1/8" aluminum flat stock to fit each side. The screen is sandwiched between the outer facing flat of the angle aluminum and the flat stock. I spaced rivets about 3 inches or so.

Pretty easy to do (a right angle drill helps a bunch!) and it does seem to work---I've found stones resting inside the nose on the lower aluminum panel after track days which might have found the radiator without it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone given any thought to the honeycomb radiator protector from Speedway?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeyc...tors,3545.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
    Anyone given any thought to the honeycomb radiator protector from Speedway?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeyc...tors,3545.html
    I've never even seen that product before. Pretty good except for the color..I wonder how it is held in place? Perhaps some zip ties through the rad?

Cobrajj, that is nice work. I like how you spaced it out slightly, which is what you should do, just in case a larger rock hits it. Too close, and the screen may still give enough to cause damage.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 10-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Today, 03:32 AMJeff Kleiner
    If you promise not to make fun of the bugs and rubber boogers that I haven't cleaned up I'll try to describe how I made mine using 1/2" grid stainless---if I did it again I'd use 1/4".
    I like the 1/2 inch stainless. Did you still get some damage with it? Nice work as usual.

Lots of interesting points: I was also thinking of incorporating a splitter into the equation. Has anyone read or just knows if these screens have an effect (positive or negative) on the airflow through the nose of the car and into the radiator? When you look at the specs for these materials, usually it gives the open area as a percentage if used a given space. Thanks, WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replace the windshield w/ Freddie's lexan one ... that will take care of the windshield.

I don't think I'd be too worried about the rad - we dump rocks up here on the road for fun in the winter and replace windshields almost yearly (since it takes forever to sweep them away). I've got some dings on the bodywork from them, but my rad has been fine after 3+yrs.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    I permanently mountyed a 1/4" SS screen to the front of the radiater. I simple alum spacer keeps is off the radiater core, and it's "glued" to the side radiater tanks with silicone. Been on there for a lot of street and track miles, and the radiater fins are still in perfect condition. Cheap, easy, light weight, and simple.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the stainless steel screen from Pegasus Racing and ditto on lots of road debris in AZ. PM me if you need any info or an extra hand because I'm a bored builder with no current project.
    Pete

Last edited by AZPete; 10-03-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Later I added lower screen.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).