Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Exhaust Thread- Post your Pics & Knowledge

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I will post my latest setup:

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a WRX downpipe, I just cut it off and took out the down part, the bell mouth was close enough to round to make it fit

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_7146.JPGIMG_7145.JPGIMG_7144.JPGIMG_7143.JPG

This is the direction I am headed in. I have no experience with exhaust so I am feeling my way semi-blind through this. I plan to do some 'pie cutting' of some 2.5" pipe to make up the tight 90 degree elbow and the transition over to the cat. I plan to cut the steel turbo flange off of my factory pipe and use it as the flange on my new pipe. You can see that I have cut and joined (tack welded) two elbows to make my 'T'. I plan to Tig them together as my first Tig project ever.....wish me luck. I'll Mig them if I must but wont have same potential to be pretty!

I am going to exit straight out the sides and cut the 2.5" tips at an angle that follows the body curve resulting in a semi-elliptical tip shape. I think it will look good. Hope it all works well. I have a stock WRX, so not making lots of HP.

Probably will brace the whole thing with some triangulated support rods and also plan to incorporate a flex pipe to handle engine torque reaction......we'll see.

I plan to paint exhaust components with header paint (silver) and if whole thing works out well I may convert it over to stainless some time. All components were purchased at O-Reilly Auto Parts (used to be VIP) and were fairly inexpensive....mufflers $30 ea, cat $90, right angle 2.5" pipes $7, straight 2.5" pipe $9. My time......priceless!

(Not sure how hot the mufflers will get, so I might need some heat shields and/or ventilation through back....maybe some grills or mesh....)

-Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12