Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New builder questions

Post Thanks / Like

New builder questions

Hi everyone
    Well I have received my roadster and have started to get it together I have the front end bolted together with the steering shaft installed however the calipers hit the lower control arms what is used for bump stops?
    Also I have installed the rear IRS from a 96 Thunderbird and the instructions are weak about the 8.8 Diff will the trac lock from a solid axle mustang fit into the T-bird 8.8 Diff. any help in these areas will be GREATLY APPRECIATED
    DURK newbee

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by durk View Post
    Hi everyone
    Well I have received my roadster and have started to get it together I have the front end bolted together with the steering shaft installed however the calipers hit the lower control arms what is used for bump stops?
    Once you have wheels and tires on it, the tires will likely hit the F-panels before the calipers get close to the control arms. You can get steering rack limiters to keep that from happening. They are little C-shaped pieces that are installed inside the steering rack, to limit the travel of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by durk View Post
    Also I have installed the rear IRS from a 96 Thunderbird and the instructions are weak about the 8.8 Diff will the trac lock from a solid axle mustang fit into the T-bird 8.8 Diff. any help in these areas will be GREATLY APPRECIATED
    DURK newbee
    The Mustang trak-lock differential will fit in the thunderbird IRS housing, but the side gears are different between an IRS car and solid axle car. You would need to swap out or have the side gears modified to accept the IRS axle circlips. The other option is to get a gear type differential (Torsen, Eaton, etc.) that is already setup to accept the IRS circlips. Some people have had trouble with the depth of the splines and circlips there, as well, so YMMV.

-Kyle