FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Swapping the flywheel on my coyote crate motor. Is a crank relearn inevitable?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swapping the flywheel on my coyote crate motor. Is a crank relearn inevitable?

So me and my dad have the summit racing coyote engine and transmission combo (We are working on a mk4, still waiting for the kit to come in). When we saw that the motor came with a flywheel we assumed that the one that came in the summit kit was unnecessary. When we went to put the clutch and pressure plate on last night, we quickly saw that if we wanted to use the clutch and pressure plate that came in the summit kit that we would have to swap flywheels to the one that summit provided. I have a new mustang and I was very familiar with the fact that if you wanted to swap a flywheel or clutch on a 2011-2014 mustang, that you have to do what is called a crank relearn (or in super technical ford lingo, misfire monitor neutral profile correction). So my question for you guys is, has anyone else swapped flywheels and had issues? Is it possible to swap flywheels without doing a crank relearn on a coyote crate motor? It kind of seems inevitable since you have to torque down the flywheel bolts which would move the crank position ring( I don't know what to call it, but a picture of it is below) quite a bit. Does the coyote crate motor even require this? I was talking with a guy on another forum and he said that any new crate motor needs this relearn done regardless of whether you disturb the position of the crank position sensor or not. Here's the kicker, does the control pack PCM even support this relearn function? The only way to do the relearn is by using a Ford IDS tool (basically a dealer diagnostic computer, finding a competent dealer that is willing to do this, is difficult, even though it's a 5 minute procedure ) or by using an SCT X4 Tuner(under special functions). The result of not doing this is a misfire. As you guys can probably tell I'm pretty lost on this topic so any insight would be so very appreciated ! Me and my dad are itching to proceed with our build, but this stopped us in our tracks, just want to be sure we are taking the right steps. Calling FRPP techline on Monday to see what they say about it as well.

Here's a picture for those that may not understand what I am talking about

Crank Trigger thingy (1024x498).jpg
    Last edited by AKDMB; 12-31-2014 at 11:21 AM.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post