Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No paint bodywork?

Post Thanks / Like

No paint bodywork?

So I haven't really seen anyone bragging on their non-painted body. Is there any out there that are truly good enough not to need paint or wrap? Or is this another one of the design parameters like 1800 lb that was a great idea but FFR wasn't able to actually deliver. I'm not hating, I just want to know the truth.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it all depends on the quality you're looking for. C Plavan has gone no paint for now, though I think he plans to paint it later. Depending on your production number (later ones seem to have better panels) you could get away with it if you don't mind a 5 or 10 foot car (meaning, stand that far away and it looks pretty good). I think most people have decided that with the time, money, and effort put in, that wrapping, plasti dipping, or painting makes the car look more like what it cost to build. No one wants a $20k car that is going to attract attention with its design and uniqueness to look like a $5k car up close.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    They will all need to be painted. I have what are probably the nicest body panels FFR has produced, and they need sanding filling and painting to be more than a 10 ft car.

If you are good with a buffing wheel and it is going to be a track car, whatever, leave it.

But if you are building a street car and you will care at all about the appearance, plan $5k of paint and bodywork into the budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssly View Post
    They will all need to be painted. I have what are probably the nicest body panels FFR has produced, and they need sanding filling and painting to be more than a 10 ft car.

If you are good with a buffing wheel and it is going to be a track car, whatever, leave it.

But if you are building a street car and you will care at all about the appearance, plan $5k of paint and bodywork into the budget.
    I also have new. hand picked replacement panels, defects were not readily apparent in their warehouse, they are far from perfect but waaaay better than my original panels

Bottom line, they designed panels that they are not capable of molding w/o surface defects. I'm going to try gel coat repair, polish, no paint, I'm not very confident
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14