Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 818 Mazda Rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

818 Mazda Rotary?

(Flame prevention suit) Yes, I know the chassis is specifically designed for the Subaru Boxer 4, and no, I dont know what would be required to pull this swap off. This is just a bit of fun speculation. (/flame prevention suit)

I've been thinking for awhile now that a Rotary engine would be a great engine for the 818, specifically the 13B. I think the sound of the engine and the high revving nature would be just right.

The I found this on Speedhunters.

They have a Rotary in a mid engine position, using an adapter plate to bolt to a Subaru transaxle. I think the 13B would be short enough to still fit in the engine bay of the 818, and would be REALLY light. What do you guys think?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Its a fantastic idea.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary turbo would be cool. Three rotor turbo would be amazing.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, an NA 3 rotor with individual throttle bodies would be amazeballs, but I'm afraid it would be too long to fit, 2 rotor with a single turbo would still be great.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep...go for it!!!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wager that a fully dressed rotary (esp turbo) is no lighter than the Subaru EJ series motors.

I think the N/A RX8 motor would be the sweet spot for the 818. The reduced torque (offset by the high redline) would actually work to make the Subaru transmission last longer.

In any case, I think a clutch and bell housing adapter kit is already commercially available, so only motor mounts to the chassis would need to be fabricated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know clutch and bellhousing adapter are available. I dont think engine mounts and exhaust would prove to difficult; I think the biggest headache would be figuring out a wiring harness solution. I think I'd end up having to go with a Mazda harness instead of a subaru. Or just use the subie harness for lights/chassis stuff, and go standalone for the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good sound.

I should mention that I'm an Audio Engineer. I place a much higher priority on sound than most people do, and I think about and interact with it in a different way. The Subaru Boxer 4 has a very distinctive sound, and it's a good sound, I like it. But since I've seen the 818 I havent escaped the feeling that I want it to make a much more higher pitched, almost raspy tone. I quickly figured out that a rotary spinning away a 9k-10k rpm is pretty much the sound I want coming from the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    A brilliant engine configuration and option for the chassis I agree. Just a bunch more stuffing about to make work BUT DO IT!!!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a buddy out here in Okinawa that wanted to do that since I showed him the 818. Overall I think it would be awesome so go for it

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind is the height of the engine. I know the subie engines aren't tall since they are boxers, but I have no idea about the rotary engine. Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make it wound like a Furai. :drool:
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayai View Post
    .......and it's a good sound, I like it. But since I've seen the 818 I havent escaped the feeling that I want it to make a much more higher pitched, almost raspy tone. I quickly figured out that a rotary spinning away a 9k-10k rpm is pretty much the sound I want coming from the 818.
    How about this?

Here is a clip of a newer EZ30 (Subaru flat-6) that was transplanted into a Porsche 914:

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't really tell from this pic but it does look a bit taller than an EJ to me.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    you could probably find a Renesis motor from an RX8 about as cheap as you're going to find a running TII motor
    with the same power and without a turbo needed

this is a serious conderation for me as well
    I've gone through 2 FC's and an FD
    I'm still a rotard at heart
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a NA 13B in my garage with a cracked apex seal/scored housing. It was supercharged and putting out serious power when the seal let go. Needs to be put back together. I'd sell it to you for $30 if you were local.

I think a camden supercharger on a ported 13b would be awesome in this car and would require hardly any wiring. Just as low as an ej20 with a side mount blower.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turboguy: I've seen that video before, yeah the EZ30 sounds really nice It's another option I've considered.

Nuul: Do you think moving the intercooler would help with the height problem on that engine? if nothing else a Renesis would do well, ditch the intake and go individual throttle bodies.

Niburu: Glad to see you're also a rotary fan, you're experience in owning them will be very helpful. I've wanted an FC or FD for awhile.

Longislandwrx: Thanks for the offer, but I have a lot of student loans to take care of before I start this project. Plus i'm getting ready to move and cant take on more stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Link to Diasio 962R 2 Rotor Renesis Turbo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxw6cIkVbBg

From the Diasio.com website: "The D962R Turbo has all the features of the standard D962R, but adds a Garrett G35 Turbo, Turbosmart 50mm external wastegate, intercooler, and larger primary injectors. The engine produces 435 bhp, and 235 lb-ft of torque at only 9 psi of boost. This means that the engine retains its reliability while producing 181 more horsepower than the standard Renesis D962R motor. The weight of the car is 1440 lbs.; that is a 3.4 lb/hp ratio- a truly awesome number!"

Zoom Zoom

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a formula car with a 3rd gen rx7 engine in it. Made about 450 hp in a 1600 car. That was a little fun to drive. Man I miss that car!

Post Thanks / Like
    the big downside for using the 13B-REW is it's relative rarity also stock to stock the Renesis puts out the same power without the turbo
    the 13B-REW does have way more potential with it's turbos, I would be sorely tempted to go single over the pre 99 twin set up though

Post Thanks / Like
    I could listen to the EZ30 all day long. MAN, I love the sound of that!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    This is what it should sound like!!!

yeah! That sounds SCHWEET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of reminds me of the Jim Downing Kudzu Mazda's that used to run in the American LeMans series:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ich frage mich, ob Felix Wankel je gesehen habe so etwas wie dies geschieht.

I can just here Felix Wankel if he was still alive and looking around his shop saying, "Wo zum Teufel ist der Wankelmotor"

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely no flame suit needed. I currently own a FD RX-7 and while I did swap in an LS motor for MPG and ease of service I would 100% consider using the 13B at a motor for the 818. The main reason for my swap was I daily drive mine and needed something worry free but a blast to drive. The 818 with a N/A PP 13b or seq 99 spec twin rew would just be nuckin futs. Just the idea of a 10k rpm rotary in the 818 has revived my interest in the 818. :-)
    94 BB Rx-7 3030lb

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how this is posted and talked about, we have been toying this idea here in the tech room for about a month now.

Joe@FFRtech

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I personally like the sound of the rotary at like say 10-12k. I also like a ej207 revving to 8k. It has that rumble and raspy high end whistle. Wicked cool idea and go for it
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 01-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you guys are so supportive of the idea. Sadly, it's going to be a few years before I can think about this project (student loans ). Which is okay, because it will give me time to sift through the tons of possible ways to go with this idea. Reading this thread, it seemed like the RX8's Renesis would be the way to go for the NA simplicity, but after reading this thread it looks like there's really not much power to be made past stock while maintaining NA due to the exhaust ports. The RX7's engine seems more mod-able, but with the added weight and complexity of the turbo system. Decisions, decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... I have an FD and an extra 13b laying around.... Now I just need more friggin money to make this happen!

The height of the 13b block is actually less than the EJ. It's the ridiculous rats nest of solenoids (first thing to go on my FD) and then the intake on top of that which create the additional height. As far as weight, though. I am amazed how much that little 2 rotor bare block weighs.. Geesh. I pulled the extra out of my buddy's trunk and that was a friggin chore!

A PP NA 13B-REW with older gen rotors (NA for more compression) with ITBs would make a heck of an auto-x car... Go 13B-REW with big single GT35r (or greater) and you'd have a crazy track car!
    Last edited by leetfade; 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys with more rotary experience can probably shed more light on this, but I recall reading that modified rotary engines can be a bit spendy (as the Brits would say) to keep on the track -- frequent expensive rebuilds you have to contract out, etc.

Could make for a nice, compact, low weight alternative for someone looking for more revs and a unique exhaust note, along the lines of what a late-model Subie H-6 offers.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys want high revs... Huyabusa engine? The 818 is light enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember needing to replace apex seals after over heating mine. Didn't take much to cost a lot to repair

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a Chart under the heading 'Motor Weight Comparison' at a website for Funco Motor Sports. Their vehicles are rear engined sand cars. They claim to have weighed several engines over the years at the point where they were ready to install. The engines As weighed included: "headers, big air cleaner and plenum, power steering pump, turbo and inter cooler (where noted), transaxle adapter, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate". Here are their Mazda and Subaru engine weights.

Subaru 2.5L N/A 285lbs. Motor mounts weigh 4lbs.
    Subaru 2.5L Intercooled turbo 320lbs. Motor mounts weigh 4lbs.
    Mazda rotary 2 rotor 285lbs
    Mazda rotary 3 rotor 480lbs

There are a few more engines included in their list.
    Last edited by Darkpiggy's dad; 01-31-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigwins View Post
    No it really isn't light enough. Check out Z-Cars in the UK for some awesome Busa mini's that weigh around 600KG. Adding 200 KG will make the 818 a slug with the Busa motor when compared with the WRX engine.

Anyway check out this little ripper made right here in Aotearoa!

http://www.7tune.com/video-ppres-6-r...east-is-alive/

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Guys with more rotary experience can probably shed more light on this, but I recall reading that modified rotary engines can be a bit spendy (as the Brits would say) to keep on the track -- frequent expensive rebuilds you have to contract out, etc.
    turbo versions if you manage to damage the turbos can be spendy
    just about everything else is replacing seals

as with anything automotive if you are going to contract out for motor repair it'll be expensive

rebuild kits range from $350 base to $1700 master rebuild ($2200 if you manage to find a 3 rotor 20B)
    http://www.atkinsrotary.com/index.php?pag=5

with the NA motors as long as you don't overheat it I wouldn't worry about rebuilds
    Last edited by Niburu; 01-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigwins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    No it really isn't light enough. Check out Z-Cars in the UK for some awesome Busa mini's that weigh around 600KG. Adding 200 KG will make the 818 a slug with the Busa motor when compared with the WRX engine.

Anyway check out this little ripper made right here in Aotearoa!

http://www.7tune.com/video-ppres-6-r...east-is-alive/
    I was also thinking it really isn't light enough. The Hayabusa engine certainly puts out enough HP, but is comparatively low on torque which is important because of the additional weight (when compared to a motorcycle). I'm sure you could get it to work and drive the 818, i just think the performance and longevity of the engine/transmission would be poor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Could make for a nice, compact, low weight alternative for someone looking for more revs and a unique exhaust note, along the lines of what a late-model Subie H-6 offers.
    From my perspective, the H6 engine thread seemed to get a fair amount of negative comments ("turbos are better," "you'll get more HP out of a turbo H4," "There are more tuning options available for a turbo engine," etc.), but I've not seen any such comments here. It just seems funny to me that a non-turbo SUBARU engine is panned, while a MAZDA rotary engine swapped is welcomed!

For the record, I don't have a preference. N/A H4, turbo H4, H6, 13B, Hayabusa, whatever. Use what you want...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    but I've not seen any such comments here. It just seems funny to me that a non-turbo SUBARU engine is panned, while a MAZDA rotary engine swapped is welcomed!
    Which surprised me a little, I totally expected the same attitude a lot of people took with the H6, which is why I started with the "flame prevention suit" paragraph. haha.

I'm also totally behind people doing the H6 swap, I've been watching that thread and think it will be a cool idea if it fits okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast