Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zach's 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    I love your setup table!
    Thanks! It's one of the Strong Hand Build Pro tables, and it is my favorite thing in the shop. They have all kinds of different sizes and options, and they continue to add to the fixturing accessories. I use it for more non-welding projects than I would have ever predicted. Just the fact that it is a flat/true surface comes in handy all the time. I could go on and on about it.

2. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The body is coming together. Dzus brackets for the rear fenders at the crossmember:

rear fender bracket1.jpg

rear fender bracket2.jpg

The front fenders have been difficult, but I am overcoming. The rear of the front fenders presented the most challenging bracket-making problem. The fenders are not symmetrical (this is the new nose), so I felt slotted brackets were required to give myself the best chance of getting the hood to fit.

front fender bracket1.jpg

front fender bracket2.jpg

front fender bracket3.jpg

Trying to figure out the windshield cowl. It is resting on the round tube at the top, yet there is a good 1" gap between the bottom flange and the frame where it would ideally attach. On the S, the flange attaches directly to the square tubes under the hood. Not sure I've seen any other R builders specifically address this.

windshield trim1.jpg

windshield trim2.jpg

Finally, the wing is here! Very exciting. These APR wings are super nice. I'm envisioning a wing mount system that will incorporate a hinge for the rear of the engine decklid. I know that sounds confusing, but it works perfectly in my mind. The joined decklid pieces are going to be too cumbersome to lift off and put back on by one person without constantly slamming it into the rollbar tubes. The hinge weight should be minimal with the wing structure providing all the support.

20180804_225401.jpg

4. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Trying to figure out the windshield cowl. It is resting on the round tube at the top, yet there is a good 1" gap between the bottom flange and the frame where it would ideally attach. On the S, the flange attaches directly to the square tubes under the hood. Not sure I've seen any other R builders specifically address this.

windshield trim1.jpg

windshield trim2.jpg
    I had the same issue. I just cut off the lip on the bottom of the cowl and made simple brackets to connect with the frame.

left-bracket.jpg right-bracket.jpg top-bracket.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Finally, the wing is here! Very exciting. These APR wings are super nice.

20180804_225401.jpg
    They are quality pieces. I have the GT-250 67", looks like you got the same!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018

6. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for those pictures of the cowl - just what I was looking for. Looks good.

Yep, 67" wing. Anxious to start on the support structure for it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123