Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zach's 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    I love your setup table!
    Thanks! It's one of the Strong Hand Build Pro tables, and it is my favorite thing in the shop. They have all kinds of different sizes and options, and they continue to add to the fixturing accessories. I use it for more non-welding projects than I would have ever predicted. Just the fact that it is a flat/true surface comes in handy all the time. I could go on and on about it.

2. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The body is coming together. Dzus brackets for the rear fenders at the crossmember:

rear fender bracket1.jpg

rear fender bracket2.jpg

The front fenders have been difficult, but I am overcoming. The rear of the front fenders presented the most challenging bracket-making problem. The fenders are not symmetrical (this is the new nose), so I felt slotted brackets were required to give myself the best chance of getting the hood to fit.

front fender bracket1.jpg

front fender bracket2.jpg

front fender bracket3.jpg

Trying to figure out the windshield cowl. It is resting on the round tube at the top, yet there is a good 1" gap between the bottom flange and the frame where it would ideally attach. On the S, the flange attaches directly to the square tubes under the hood. Not sure I've seen any other R builders specifically address this.

windshield trim1.jpg

windshield trim2.jpg

Finally, the wing is here! Very exciting. These APR wings are super nice. I'm envisioning a wing mount system that will incorporate a hinge for the rear of the engine decklid. I know that sounds confusing, but it works perfectly in my mind. The joined decklid pieces are going to be too cumbersome to lift off and put back on by one person without constantly slamming it into the rollbar tubes. The hinge weight should be minimal with the wing structure providing all the support.

20180804_225401.jpg

4. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Trying to figure out the windshield cowl. It is resting on the round tube at the top, yet there is a good 1" gap between the bottom flange and the frame where it would ideally attach. On the S, the flange attaches directly to the square tubes under the hood. Not sure I've seen any other R builders specifically address this.

windshield trim1.jpg

windshield trim2.jpg
    I had the same issue. I just cut off the lip on the bottom of the cowl and made simple brackets to connect with the frame.

left-bracket.jpg right-bracket.jpg top-bracket.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Finally, the wing is here! Very exciting. These APR wings are super nice.

20180804_225401.jpg
    They are quality pieces. I have the GT-250 67", looks like you got the same!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018

6. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for those pictures of the cowl - just what I was looking for. Looks good.

Yep, 67" wing. Anxious to start on the support structure for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress. Body is coming together. Remaining items:

-enlarge side vents
    -fabricate wing mount
    -integrate engine cover hinge to wing mount
    -cut out hood vents
    -fabricate splitter

Most of the body ended up lining up reasonably well, about a 1/4" off here and there, but all the slotted brackets I made helped a lot. Most ended up not needing more than about 1/8" adjustment off center. The one big exception was the rear deck lid. I don't have a good picture showing the problem, but there was an irreconcilable tapered gap between the rear edge of the deck lid and the top of the rear bumper panel. There was no gap on the passenger side, and about 1/2" on the driver side. It was as if the entire passenger side sail was shifted forward 1/2", or the driver's side rearward 1/2", take your pick. Both side sails were lined up exactly 5/8" back from the frame as directed in the manual and the front fenders/nose actually lined up rather well. I was very careful to make sure the two engine deck lid pieces were evenly-spaced when I bonded them together. There was no way to shift the side sails forward or rearward without causing significant problems at the nose. I ended up trimming 1/2" off the rear edge of the engine deck lid on the passenger's side and tapering the cut to zero toward the driver's side. Hard to explain, a picture is better:

rear decklid cut1.jpg

rear decklid cut2.jpg

I don't need perfect panel alignment for a race car, but a full half inch was too much to overlook. Plus, by trimming it there, it lined up on center and actually looks more symmetrical. Here's how it looks after the trimming:

rear gap post trim.jpg

And here's with the rear deck pins installed. Notice how the deck is pretty much dead-on center, even after taking that huge wedge-shaped slice out of the rear edge. The gaps on the sides are parallel and pretty good.

rear deck pins.jpg

Hood pins:

hood pins.jpg

One of the brackets I made for the rear decklid Aerocatch pins, before drilling the hole for the pin. I know it looks weird. Rather than spend a couple days making 2-axis adjustable slotted brackets, I made a bracket that holds a simple flat piece of aluminum into which the Aerocatch pin is installed. If for some reason I need to adjust the position (very unlikely), I can just replace the simple aluminum piece.

rear left deck pin bracket.jpg

The bracket for the center pin for the rear decklid, yet to get a hole for the pin.

rear deck center pin bracket.jpg

I also installed the door cutaway's. These went in rather easy. I bonded/fiberglassed them in from the rear. I rough-cut the openings before bonding, then used some air tools and sanding blocks to grind/shape them to size after bonding. Happy with how they turned out.

door vent.jpg

The wing mount is going to be pretty cool. Hopefully I'll have pictures within the next week.
    Last edited by Zach34; 09-05-2018 at 12:35 AM.

9. Likes Hobby Racer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!

Body work is time consuming and messy, but its very rewarding when it all comes together and looks good.

I really like how you made the square tubes near the center of the roll hoop removable, wish I had thought of that when I was at that stage.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018

11. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The removable tubes, like most of the good ideas on this build, came from this forum. I've had the engine in and out 3 or 4 times. Can only imagine what a pain it would be with those welded in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Designing in my head.... head hurts now....

wing mount 1.jpg

wing mount 2.jpg

wing mount 3.jpg

Doing all this with thin-wall chromoly tubing, for no particular reason other than to just get some experience working with it. The above is 1.25" diameter, 0.065-wall. Bends are about 10-11 degrees. The tubes that will connect these to the frame will be 1" diameter, 0.058-wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made good progress this weekend. The wing mount "sub-frame" is pretty much done. Came out very well. It's relatively light due to the thin-wall tubing.

wing frame dzus.jpg

wing frame template.jpg

wing frame template 2.jpg

wing frame plates.jpg

wing frame mock up.jpg

wing frame mock up 2.jpg

wing frame mock up 3.jpg

wing frame weld jig.jpg

wing frame plate weld.jpg

wing frame welded.jpg

15. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post

17. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    tabs welded 21.jpg

support tubes installed 1.jpg

final install 1.jpg

final install 2.jpg

final install 3.jpg

Next is obviously the uprights to the actual wing. They will be 1/2" thick aluminum, but with a lot of material removed. Planning on making a plywood template to capture the location first. Tentatively planning on machining them if I can figure out how to fixture such large parts.

I may put the uprights on the back-burner, though. I need to get the body to paint ASAP. Checklist for paint prep is:

-passenger side rollcage modification
    -splitter
    -side scoops
    -exterior lights

I got FFR to make me a set of the big side vents that Wayne used on the Gray/Orange car!! Very excited about that. Many thanks to Wayne Presley and Dave Correia and Tony Zullo at FFR for being so helpful.
    Last edited by Zach34; 10-01-2018 at 01:36 AM.

19. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks really great. You have some serious fab and welding skills. Can't wait to see it finished.

21. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of attention to detail and some great looking welds.

23. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Zach.

25. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work, for sure. In a perfect world, you'd live next door to me.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123